State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And this:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1801369983924244727?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

I wonder if we could see a 2024 line of:

Jones-Semu-Frazier-Daniels-Fautanu

2025:

Jones-Semu/Anderson-Frazier-Anderson/McCormick-Fautanu

2024 line looks right to me. I'm not sure McCormick will be ready next year but if he is, watch out. That is a physical OL. 

Interesting tidbit on Spencer. Unless Cook or another less heralded OT has stepped up, the plan would be for Moore to take RT if Jones goes down and Jones to RT if Fu goes down. Right?

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

2024 line looks right to me. I'm not sure McCormick will be ready next year but if he is, watch out. That is a physical OL. 

Interesting tidbit on Spencer. Unless Cook or another less heralded OT has stepped up, the plan would be for Moore to take RT if Jones goes down and Jones to RT if Fu goes down. Right?

That’s why I have that slash there. I think Semu and Anderson is who you want but McCormick could step up. 

I think the plan is if either get injured Moore is in at LT. If it’s Fautanu out the Jones flips. If it’s Jones than it’s 1-for-1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

That’s why I have that slash there. I think Semu and Anderson is who you want but McCormick could step up. 

I think the plan is if either get injured Moore is in at LT. If it’s Fautanu out the Jones flips. If it’s Jones than it’s 1-for-1

Yeah, I knew what you meant with the slashes. But if McCormick is deemed ready, that OL is gonna be full off bullies. Correct. I meant Moore at LT if Jones goes down and Jones to RT if Fu goes down. I don't like that formula but that's where we are and the best answer right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Yeah, I knew what you meant with the slashes. But if McCormick is deemed ready, that OL is gonna be full off bullies. Correct. I meant Moore at LT if Jones goes down and Jones to RT if Fu goes down. I don't like that formula but that's where we are and the best answer right now. 

If Cook is good enough to be the swing it’s easy to say Moore might not get a hat outside of injury. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Unless it is short and team friendly

I imagine if they do it’s a 3 year deal where it’s $5mil fully GTD with roster bonuses and performance bonuses that’s effectively a 1 year deal with the potential to pay Najee more than the 5th year option.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, yesterday in his interview on The Fan, Omar Khan confirmed that the Highsmith restructure was done to five them the flexibility to make a move and they did it at a time they felt like they needed the space.

IMO this leads to credence of that rumor that the Steelers thought they had a deal in place for one of the SF WR’s.

Edited by warfelg

23 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Unless it is short and team friendly

The 5th year option would have been short and team friendly. It’s why I don’t get declining that and then extending him. Especially if Stevenson gets over the $6.7M option mark, which seems very likely. 

And then that leads to the question: why would Najee accept less if he is about to be a free agent or get the tag? Doesn’t make sense. 

The team would have to offer a deal enticing enough for Najee to skip FA/tag but apparently short enough and friendly enough for the team. 

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think $8M for a RB is team friendly but we can disagree

You mean $6.7m? 

I don’t have much of an opinion on the friendliness of the numbers, but IMO it’s just the reality of it. 

If the Steelers wanted him extended at a lower rate it would have made more sense to negotiate before the option date to have the leverage of the one year deal. Now, they negotiated against free agency or the tag in a year the cap will likely take another big jump. 

Singletary’s AAV is $5.5m but he got two years worth of guarantees. Maybe it’s something like that, but I wouldn’t want two years of guarantees and Najee would likely get more than Singletary around the $6-6.5m number….which, why not just do the 1 year $6.7m option at that point? 

Honestly I’ll give big props to Khan if he lands Najee on something well below the option number, but just seems unlikely and like a confusing way to go about it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think $8M for a RB is team friendly but we can disagree

Agreed.

Additionally Khan is really well connected to other FO and knows a lot of agents very well. That’s the good thing about being in his role he was in for a long time. So when he makes decisions like this it’s often likely because he’s had discussions around the league to understand what a players value is and how other teams are looking at a player. And it’s a big reason why I trust him in making a call like this.