State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

No.  Carter is a pure 3 tech.  He does not play much against the run which would have me worried.

You need a pair of DTs that are willing and able to play 2 gap for what they are running now.  Breese is 6'5, 300 with long arms.  He does take on those roles at times for but also would have to learn better 2 gap.

I would really rather take Trenton Simpson at ILB in the 1st and Tyler Davis ( also Clemson ) in perhaps the 3rd.  He is more Gravedigger in style but has that same ability if he can stay healthy.

Scouting reports I read projected him as a 5 in an odd front as well, but you feel stronger about it than me.

I also like Mazi Smith out of Michigan and Gervon Dexter out of Florida. What do you think about Siaka out of Baylor?

I know you like T.SImpson from previous posts - what about O.Pappoe and D.Overshown?

Edited by mwalker
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mwalker said:

Scouting reports I read projected him as a 5 in an odd front as well, but you feel stronger about it than me.

Not sure why.  he plays all over the front, which is just the Georgia defense.  He does not have the length to go up against top tackles in the NFL so he will be a 3 tech.  He is a super gap penetrator and is going to be good in the NFL in that role.   That he comes out on running downs would worry me.

I also like Mazi Smith out of Michigan and Gervon Dexter out of Florida. What do you think about Siaka out of Baylor?
Siaka is one of my favorites.  He is going to be a good 0 tech in the NFL.  He needed to stay in school to learn how to use his hands better but i think he is the top NT in the draft.  I have not looked at either of the other 2.

I know you like T.SImpson from previous posts - what about O.Pappoe and D.Overshown?

Have not looked at them yet.

15 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Speaking draft @mwalker @jebrick is there any chance Anderson is not the first taken EDGE guy? Myles Murphy from Clemson looks like a stud.

Murphy is a 4-3 DE at like 6'5 275. W.Anderson is more OLB at 6'4 245.
I do think Anderson is a Top 3 draft pick where Murphy more like Top 10.
Guess it could depend on which D you run, but would be surprised if
Murphy went higher.

10 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Murphy went higher.

Every now and and then I do think Murphy would be nice for us to keep a 3 man front in there but play it more like a 4-3.

Lining up: Murphy-Hayward-Leal-Watt would be nice.  Drop Highsmith or blitz him on down and distance.

I like the idea of adding an EDGE guy, even while having Highsmith. It's not like our ILBs are worldbeaters. If we ran something like @warfelg mentioned, Murphy/Anderson - Heyward - Leal - Watt but with Highsmith as one of the ILBs, that'd be pretty interesting. Highsmith, Watt, and Anderson would all be capable of dropping or rushing. Maybe Murphy a little too, depending on his movement skills. 

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

Murphy went higher.

we play mostly 4 many from, not much dropping off into coverage these days. Maybe the traditional 4-3 7 tech type DE will be the next move?  

are there any legit cover CB's in the draft? Thats might help too, especially if they keep Highsmith. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

For reference Johnson had 34 targets until that point (on pace to continue 10/GM). But Sauce is turning out to be one of the best corners. Don’t blame Mitch for that tbh. 

until the gatorade coolers are dumped out DJ will get a free pass.  I guess it's easier to bench the QB that is struggling as opposed to the WR that leads the league in drops. Tough decision actually, so flip the coin detroit thanksgiving style if you want 🤐

Claypool, Pickens then DJ, so DJ is WR3 from what I see anyways. 

just keep winning and they can sort this out later I guess. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, warfelg said:

Every now and and then I do think Murphy would be nice for us to keep a 3 man front in there but play it more like a 4-3.

Lining up: Murphy-Hayward-Leal-Watt would be nice.  Drop Highsmith or blitz him on down and distance.

I see Highsmith as a quality starter, so whoever replaces him better be an obvious improvement, and I don't think thats easy. Anderson looks the part though, legit and not jarvis jones like 🤨 I think Highsmith is already where dupree was at his last season, lets see if he gets better especially once TJ returns, Larry and Leal get healthy. The front with Watt, Heyward, Larry and Highsmith is legit . Larry has been a solid signing, always thought he was good when with the browns. 

Edited by 3rivers

11 hours ago, mwalker said:

Murphy went higher.

what if JJ Watt can be had ? We have some cap space, and why not add another Watt to the roster🤐

7 hours ago, 3rivers said:

we play mostly 4 many from, not much dropping off into coverage these days. Maybe the traditional 4-3 7 tech type DE will be the next move?  

are there any legit cover CB's in the draft? Thats might help too, especially if they keep Highsmith. 

There are some very good ones (CB).
K.Ringo from Georgia is the top rated. 
E.Ricks, from Bama.
J.Porter Jr from Penn State.
C.Phillips, Utah
C.Smith S.Carolina