Week 6 GDT: Broncos @ LAC

broncosfan_101

At this point, I just don’t even care. It’s where I was when last season started. I knew we were going no where so I just wanted to enjoy watching NFL football, the other 31 teams.

That’s where I am now. I guess we just wait and see what changes get made in the off-season. Aside from the Broncos, this has been a fun season just as a football fan. 

I feel pretty close to checked out on this team. I don’t even know if I want us to beat the Jets, because I have a soft spot for that team and want them to make the playoffs. Only thing keeping me going at this point is that I’ll be in the stadium in London in 2 weeks time. If we fall to 2-6 I might well check out for the season.

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

First thing I do if I’m Greg or George is change the locks on Russell Wilson’s Dove Valley office, kick his entourage out of the building and inform him in the bluntest of terms, he is just 1 of 53. Enough special treatment. 

Why the hell is he allowed to have an “entourage”? 

There's no shame in a swing and a miss. We hired a hot, young coordinator who then brought in a couple of his buddies from Green Bay; one of whom had never really done anything outside of coaching tight ends. Sometimes that ends in a stroke of brilliance, sometimes it blows up in your face. Clearly this is the latter. What matters is that Walton and Paton recognize the mistake and correct it. There is zero benefit to retaining Hackett past the bye week. Literally zero. All you will accomplish by keeping him is you destroy the locker room by season's end, and signal to your team that incompetence is tolerated in this franchise. The worst part about this is that we are going to waste a surprisingly dominant defense. I think we may have caught lightning in a bottle with Evero. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

First thing I do if I’m Greg or George is change the locks on Russell Wilson’s Dove Valley office, kick his entourage out of the building and inform him in the bluntest of terms, he is just 1 of 53. Enough special treatment. 

Yeah man, Russell Wilson can f*** off with that already. You don't get to have all that movie star bs treatment when you suck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I bet the guys are gonna be fired up to hear his Will Ferrell movie quotes in film session this week! 

Hahahaha.  I don’t think Hackett comes from a bad place but you can’t lead a team being it’s biggest class clown.  That’s the vibe he gives.  It’s just all fun and games and joking around and he has video evidence of being that guy. 

He’s even losing players because he doesn’t have any control.   Gordon and Jeudy are done as broncos.  Not that they were special, but they don’t respect Hackett.  You don’t sit on a sideline and openly react the way they did if you do.  

Been mega busy at work, so didn't even have time to post here (had to get the bets in lol).  Only a few thoughts, many of which are already posted here:

DEFENSE

-D played great, outside of Mathis.   Tough intro, kid.   It sucks, but he wasn't good.  He's also a rookie, as long as he doesn't break from games like this, there's potential, and he'll be better.  Tonight, though, well it was a rough welcome.

-Other than that, the D was downright awesome.   Baron Browning is LEGIT.

-BOTH DJ Jones and Dre'mont Jones were key disruptors inside.

-Our pass coverage vs. TE's & RB's is still our major Achilles (Mathis notwithstanding).  It was no coincidence Chargers found less success when Parham (89) left the game - looked like a repeat concussion (which would suck given his scary one last year on TNF vs. KC).   Ekeler, Parham and Everett were major problems for us.  I expect Breece Hall is going to pose a similar challenge next week.

SPECIAL TEAMS

-Man, that was a killer play.   Really thought with only 3 mins left, Hackett was going to finally cave and open it up (more on that in a minute)...and then THAT happened.  Sucks hard to say the least.

OFFENSE

-Great 1Q start...really thought we were going to get on a roll....then POOF, disappeared.   So disappointing and frustrating, because you see a couple of drives that work, and we start thinking "OK, now we're getting there...and then, BOOM...awful again.   Ugh.

-Ppl who look at the stats will say we should have run more - but outside of 1 15 yard run by Murray, we couldn't even average 3 YPC with the RB's.   We can't run the ball with our OL and our RB stable.   To say that's a problem is an understatement - LAC owned TOP in the 1H as a result.  The D was frankly heroic given this.

-Russ needed to see Dulcich open on 2 key 3rd down plays.   He can't miss those 2 reads.   Hackett said he apparently hurt his hammy, which sucks hard.   Because his RPO runs were probably our most effective plays.  Those 2 key read misses, and the tentativeness in the 2Q, was downright bad to see.   I will note one major factor...

-OMG our OL was horrific.  Not surprising with new guys coming in - but Fleming got abused.   It was good to see Billy Turner out there in the 2H - he HAS to stay out on the field for us to have a chance.  Our IOL wasn't great, either - that sack at the end of the 4Q, and the pressure they gave up in the game, was relentless.  It doesn't absolve Hackett or Wilson, but we need to recognize how poorly the OL played tonight.   The worst part - their run blocking outside of maybe 3 plays was overwhelmed by a LAC run D that was giving up over 6.5 YPC.    Outside of Murray's 15-yarder and 7-yarder - it was 3 yards (or less) and a cloud of dust.   And then it put us in 2nd/3rd and long - and again the difficulty with being predictable and easy to defend again (this part though is also on Hackett's awful game calling, and don't take my word for it, witness...):

-The play calling by Hackett in the 4Q and OT were downright HORRIBLE.   Run, run pass and utter predictable - playing to not lose the game...AGAIN.  And then the ONE time we had run success with a 7 yard run by Murray on 1st down, then 2 yds...3rd and 1, we go away from run.   While I bemoan the run game predictability, going away from run there shows such lack of situational awareness.   And the play call for 3rd and 1 was so out of keeping with what you need (quick developing plays for D that's thinking run, not slower more longer-developing routes).   SIGH.

COACHING/GAME MANAGEMENT

I hated Hackett's play-calling - but I should point out his TO usage both in the 1H and the OT, was correct.   No major mistakes in game management (although a HUGE F in play calling).

OVERALL

The reality is that the O owns 80 percent of this L (30 percent Hackett play-calling, 30 percent Wilson needing to be better, and 20 percent OL being awful) and ST TO (have to take some ownership) and Mathis 4 penalties taking a small portion (but also has to own this).     The thing is - only 1 part of that equation is fixable or upgradeable.  It likely won't happen this week - but it is noteworthy team leaders are speaking up on the insanity of doing the SAME thing over & over and failing on O.  The frustration the WR's had on the sideline was so palpable.  

When the players start speaking up and showing frustration on the sidelines - the HC/OC is the one where the buck stops.   I think it's far more likely it happens at season's end, and more likely to be at the bye if it's happening in-season, but even though this was a close game, and one we could have won - how we lost again speaks VOLUMES about Hackett's failure to deliver.   Russ gets part of the ownership here (along with some GOD AWFUL OL play), but again, those last 2 parts you aren't changing - you can do something about the 1st part.   It's not the outright disaster performance we've seen Hackett pull off before - but it didn't help him, either.     Personally, I think he's a dead man walking - the only Q is whether it's Black Monday, the bye (which seemed ludicrous to think 7 weeks ago in EITHER instance), or even sooner.  

Edited by Broncofan