Week 6 GDT: Broncos @ LAC

broncosfan_101

Now some serious changes need to be made. I’ll start a list. 

-Building on what I said yesterday, enough bending over for Russ. No more office, no more private coaches, trainers, masseuses, no more special security detail for the singer wife, he’s one of 53 and should be treated as such. Whatever perks they give the PS guys, Russ gets, no more, no less. 

-If they don’t fire Hackett today (and they should, but they won’t), then Klint Kubiak needs to take over play-calling and have a major hand in game planning and play design. And, again, I don't know if Klint will be any good or not but some kind of change needs to be made with how the offense is operated and I'm not giving play-calling to Outten nor would I allow Hackett to retain that role. 

-On both of the above, no more Russ offense. They need to create throwing lanes by using play-action, bootlegs and moving pockets. All Russ can do is throw deep passes down the sidelines, they need to work the middle more and Klint should know precisely how to utilize all 9 passing zones if his pedigree and work last year in Minnesota is any guide. 

-Trade Melvin Gordon. 

-Trade Jerry Jeudy.

-Trade Albert O. 

-If all you get is a 7th rounder for each, fine. The former 2 have become malcontents and locker room cancers who are associated with the losing culture, the more of those you can replace the better. Albert is a freak talent for whom it just hasn’t worked here; a fresh start would be best for all parties. 

-Be ready to replace at least 2 (Cush, RT) starting o-lineman for next year. If you notice, Risner makes the line calls as they don’t trust Cush to do it, I’ve never seen a LG make the line calls before. We might have to move on from Risner as well, but I think absent one play (the sack where the blitzing LB went right past him) he played decently last night, at least relative to his cohorts. 

-If you’re going to transition to a traditional Shanahan style WCO (see empowering Klint above) then Luke Wattenburg should get the reps at center, not for this year but for next year. Let him take his lumps and grow from it, this season is a lost cause. At least there is promise there. 

-We have a handful of special/good players - PS2, Simmons, Browning, Sutton and Javonte, Patrick and Bolles when healthy, Dre’mont maybe - and some we’re married to because of contract status or draft capital - Russ, Gregory, DJ Jones, Bonito and Dulcich - virtually everyone else needs to be served notice today they’re playing for their jobs for the rest of the season. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

50 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Now some serious changes need to be made. I’ll start a list. 

-Building on what I said yesterday, enough bending over for Russ. No more office, no more private coaches, trainers, masseuses, no more special security detail for the singer wife, he’s one of 53 and should be treated as such. Whatever perks they give the PS guys, Russ gets, no more, no less. 

-If they don’t fire Hackett today (and they should, but they won’t), then Klint Kubiak needs to take over play-calling and have a major hand in game planning and play design. And, again, I don't know if Klint will be any good or not but some kind of change needs to be made with how the offense is operated and I'm not giving play-calling to Outten nor would I allow Hackett to retain that role. 

-On both of the above, no more Russ offense. They need to create throwing lanes by using play-action, bootlegs and moving pockets. All Russ can do is throw deep passes down the sidelines, they need to work the middle more and Klint should know precisely how to utilize all 9 passing zones if his pedigree and work last year in Minnesota is any guide. 

-Trade Melvin Gordon. 

-Trade Jerry Jeudy.

-Trade Albert O. 

-If all you get is a 7th rounder for each, fine. The former 2 have become malcontents and locker room cancers who are associated with the losing culture, the more of those you can replace the better. Albert is a freak talent for whom it just hasn’t worked here; a fresh start would be best for all parties. 

-Be ready to replace at least 2 (Cush, RT) starting o-lineman for next year. If you notice, Risner makes the line calls as they don’t trust Cush to do it, I’ve never seen a LG make the line calls before. We might have to move on from Risner as well, but I think absent one play (the sack where the blitzing LB went right past him) he played decently last night, at least relative to his cohorts. 

-If you’re going to transition to a traditional Shanahan style WCO (see empowering Klint above) then Luke Wattenburg should get the reps at center, not for this year but for next year. Let him take his lumps and grow from it, this season is a lost cause. At least there is promise there. 

-We have a handful of special/good players - PS2, Simmons, Browning, Sutton and Javonte, Patrick and Bolles when healthy, Dre’mont maybe - and some we’re married to because of contract status or draft capital - Russ, Gregory, DJ Jones, Bonito and Dulcich - virtually everyone else needs to be served notice today they’re playing for their jobs for the rest of the season. 

Totally agree with most of this AAA but it's so disheartening.  I HATE JEUDY!!  But your wishlist will set us back for quite a long time but I agree with most of it.  Well thought out post!

PS re our great D that so many believe in I JUST DON'T AGREE.  So tired of seeing teams march the whole field against them, series after series.  I'll give them this though, they have to be in phenomenal shape to be able to be out there that long.    Yesterday I heard Marcus Spears state what I have been saying for the last few years.  Games are tight.  There are not many blow outs anymore.  This week out of 18 games only 4 were decided by 14 points or more and I believe at least 2 if not 3 of those were by only 2 td's alone - so is 2td's (2 lousy scores) a blow out - I think not.  I bring this up to show that our great D is just an illusion imo.  The long marches that we sadly have to endure every time the other team gets the ball will continue all fn year long.  So disheartened right now!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

RE the O-lines, that’s both a (lack of) practice problem and a college football problem. The college game today is all spread/option/air raid/gimmick offense and it doesn’t do a lick to prepare OLs for the pro game. Even guys with elite skillsets drafted earlier tend to struggle out of the gate. 

I am not so sure.  I could be wrong.  

So what is difference between 5, 6 and 7 man protection rules at AL, Notre Dame or Ohio St. vs. Denver?

There are only so many ways you can do it and account for everyone.   The rules have to stay relatively simple since defense can move.  

Mike Leach is only one that does novel and original things like extra wide splits.   

They just aren't on same page, or center or QB is calling the strengths wrong or maybe defense is gaming their calls.  Or some combination. 

Not that it's the only thing that lost us the game, but is no one gonna talk about how Locke boxed out and knocked down Washington who then had the ball bounce off him to seal the game for the Chargers? It was ironically the most "Chargers" way to lose. 😃 Did they transfer us their curse? Broncos gonna...Bronco?

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Not that it's the only thing that lost us the game, but is no one gonna talk about how Locke boxed out and knocked down Washington who then had the ball bounce off him to seal the game for the Chargers? It was ironically the most "Chargers" way to lose. 😃 Did they transfer us their curse? Broncos gonna...Bronco?

Reminds me of that game against the Patriots in 2013/2014 in Foxboro where they fumbled their first three possessions and spotted us a 24-0 lead, only to come back and beat us in OT in nearly the exact same circumstances with a muffed punt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

All Russ can do is throw deep passes down the sidelines, they need to work the middle more and Klint should know precisely how to utilize all 9 passing zones if his pedigree and work last year in Minnesota is any guide.

Russell Wilson has a 10 year career evidence of not throwing to the middle of the field. The offense is different, but the tendencies are the same when you look at his heat map. You're not going to reinvent Wilson.

I mean tbh, I kinda agree with AAA. This team is a memeworthy joke right now which is a shame because our defense is truly elite. I mean sure I get a CBoner with how often I get to see Surtain shutdown #1s by himself for 30+ minutes a game, or watch the meteoric rise of Browning whom we all thought was the first strike against the coaching staff when he moved to the edge (wow so wrong), but at the end of the day...it's as Simmons said. We are doing the same thing every game and expecting different results.

As for my little experiment, Raider's game we had 12 first downs, and 4/13 on 3rd and 4th downs. Colts game we were 3/17 on 3rd and 4th downs with 18 first downs. This game, 13 first downs, 4/14 on 3rd and 4th downs (actually never went for it on a 4th down). EEErily similar...who knows maybe it's all a ploy for Halloween and in November we will start scoring 30ppg 😃

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Russell Wilson has a 10 year career evidence of not throwing to the middle of the field. The offense is different, but the tendencies are the same when you look at his heat map. You're not going to reinvent Wilson.

I also noticed several plays last game where he actually had a guy open for a good gain, or even a first down but he went for the hero bomb instead which resulted in an incomplete....another other's have mentioned he's known for

Alex Singleton might just be AJ Johnson?? They’re the same player.

Starting to think that I’m Jerry Jeudy’s mob wife. I’m going to my deathbed always being ten toes to the ground for that guy. Wish he had more dog in him for sure, but he’s consistently open at every level. 

Let me get this straight: Melvin Gordon got benched, for Latavius Murray, when he apparently “did nothing wrong”, according to Hackett. But when he’s fumbling once a week and Javonte was healthy, it’s a 50-50 split?? It’s like Hackett is trying to be unemployed.

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

RE the O-lines, that’s both a (lack of) practice problem and a college football problem. The college game today is all spread/option/air raid/gimmick offense and it doesn’t do a lick to prepare OLs for the pro game. Even guys with elite skillsets drafted earlier tend to struggle out of the gate. 

Not unexpected when you fire Munchak and Kuper and replace them with your college buddies.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Alex Singleton might just be AJ Johnson?? They’re the same player.

Singleton moves way better laterally, and is a better form tackler. He's been a fantastic addition for the minimal cost. Props to whoever scouted him in our Pro Personnel department.

Starting to think that I’m Jerry Jeudy’s mob wife. I’m going to my deathbed always being ten toes to the ground for that guy. Wish he had more dog in him for sure, but he’s consistently open at every level. 

I am somewhere inbetween most on Jeudy. I can't stand him as a person and I hate the lack of fight in him, but I do think he could show himself as a competent starter in a better situation.

Let me get this straight: Melvin Gordon got benched, for Latavius Murray, when he apparently “did nothing wrong”, according to Hackett. But when he’s fumbling once a week and Javonte was healthy, it’s a 50-50 split?? It’s like Hackett is trying to be unemployed.

In Hackett's Defense, that's him just trying not to throw his guy under the bus publicly. The 50-50 split would've ended in Oakland if not for the Javonte injury. Gordon has shown what a poor teammate, and frankly, human being the way he's acted towards Hackett. 

Most Coaches would've lamented the guy (with good reason) for what he's done this season. And the guy has the audacity to pout and like tweets on Twitter about how Gordon should be demanding a trade?!? Pathetic. I'd cut him yesterday. 

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Not unexpected when you fire Munchak and Kuper and replace them with your college buddies.

You've been saying this the entire time, and it's a credit to you that you aren't being smug about it. You got shot down by many, myself included at times, for predicting this entire mess.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think they were "fired." When a new HC comes in he usually doesn't retain many from the previous staff, especially if there is a philosophical difference, which there almost always is when there's a coaching change. 

I'm not saying it was the right decision to let Munchak and Kuper go - I would have kept both or even just promoted Kuper to the OL Coach - but its understandable given the changes 

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You've been saying this the entire time, and it's a credit to you that you aren't being smug about it. You got shot down by many, myself included at times, for predicting this entire mess.

I guess I just had a contrary perspective and saw things a little differently.

The older you get the more often it happens.