Who’s Worse - Vance or Mac?

AnAngryAmerican

33 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

One thing about McDaniels I've said before and still stand by is this- he was 100% ahead of the curve when it came to the phenomenon of dual threat QBs and the evolving spread/read-option offenses in the NFL. That was viewed as a college gimmick and the time, but when McDaniels drafted Tebow, it was with an eye towards installing that type of offense, which teams like Seattle have been incredibly successful using. The big problem is that Tebow wasn't the right pick, and he missed on a number of other draft picks. Beyond that, he was totally abrasive as a GM and seemed uninterested in getting any feedback from anyone. 

I do wonder what he's going to be like when he gets a second chance as a head coach, which he undoubtedly will. I still think the best option for him (and New England) would be take over as HC in New England when Bill Belichick hangs it up and they promote Nick Caserio to GM. It's only place where he can operate the way he did here and not totally destroy everything. 

In the last few years he has evolved as an OC. He's learned how to coordinate a running game, take advantage of mismatches, use his offensive skill position players in unique ways that play to their strengths. All of those are things he couldn't (or refused) to do here and certainly couldn't do in his one year in St Louis. But it also true that he has the GOAT QB, a good OL, the most game-changing TE to ever play and a whole host of other versatile weapons. There's a lot you can do with that. I could probably coordinate a respectable offense with all he has to work with not to mention being backed by a franchise that is an absolute machine. 

Really, the bottom line will be a) has Mac's personality evolved to the point where he can work well with others and b) what is he going to do with a talent crop that looks more that of the 49ers than it does the Patriots. 

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Jack is a deceased. He was a long time scout for the Broncos. Unless you mean Jack Jr., who was Brock’s frat brother at ASU. 

I know who Jack Elway is. I’m just confused as to why this poster thinks I want him as HC? 

If Vance ends up being one and done, and I know this is kinda left field, but I quite like the idea of Pat Shurmur as the next HC. 

As an OC, he’s been responsible for getting decent QB play out of Sam Bradford, Nick Foles and Case Keenum. Each of those guys have traits similar to Siemian and hopefully we could bring another guy in for him to work with as well.

I know he struggled as the Browns HC but I find it hard to knock a guy too much for failing in a situation where it’s almost impossible to succeed. His GM in Cleveland was Tom Heckert who is on our senior leadership team directly reporting in to John Elway now so there’s a relationship there. 

It sounds like today was a fun practice for Denver from what I’ve read.

-Doss gets cut.

-McKenzie and Harris get in a fight.

-McGovern and Kerr get in a fight.

-Elway and Talib are seen in a heated conversation on the sidelines.

-McKenzie is crying in the locker room after a pep talk from Anderson.

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

-Doss gets cut.

Sounds like the team is falling apart. I’m seriously concerned about McKenzie, can’t be allowing CHJ to bully the rookies 

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

-Doss gets cut.

Speaking of soft, yeesh.  McKenzie needs to honestly just be told to leave the team and come back next year for OTA's and Mini Camp with a rejuvenated mental state.  Whatever flashes he'd shown in training camp, he's not the same player, probably not the same person anymore.  Seems like a guy in major need of a mental break.

It's a bit of a shock that this team is this bad based on how the season started... but prior to that early season success this is pretty much what I expected.  This team is poor on both lines and that's finally shining through.  DL still better than expected, but if you're going to roll out low-talent QB's you better have an OL that's not going to get your QB killed.  

The OL play is pretty much exactly to expectations this year.  We were set up from the beginning to have a sieve at right tackle... Menelik Watson was Donald Stephenson 2.0, not going to magically turn into something he never was just because he came to the Broncos. If a marginal QB can't be kept clean they'll look like a 3rd string or college QB, and if that is the case very few teams can be good.

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Sounds like the team is falling apart. I’m seriously concerned about McKenzie, can’t be allowing CHJ to bully the rookies 

Why?  He's a 5th rounder who was overhyped by the media going into the season and hasn't been able to hack it when it matters.  He needs to get out of his own head if he wants to have any kind of career in this league.  

The defense for sure resents the offense at this point.  No surprise there's fights breaking out. 

6 hours ago, elliot878 said:

Why?  He's a 5th rounder who was overhyped by the media going into the season and hasn't been able to hack it when it matters.  He needs to get out of his own head if he wants to have any kind of career in this league.  

The defense for sure resents the offense at this point.  No surprise there's fights breaking out. 

I understand the defenses annoyance. They were happy enough in 2015 when they almost single handedly carried the team to a Lombardi, but eventually they've just gotten fed up with the offensive ineptitude that the defense has mailed it in. Two guys I'll single out for criticism in recent weeks are Chris Harris Jr and Brandon Marshall. Both of these guys aren't pulling their weight right now. As I say I understand their frustration but they need to keep it more in house. 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I do wonder what he's going to be like when he gets a second chance as a head coach, which he undoubtedly will. I still think the best option for him (and New England) would be take over as HC in New England when Bill Belichick hangs it up and they promote Nick Caserio to GM. It's only place where he can operate the way he did here and not totally destroy everything. 

In the last few years he has evolved as an OC. He's learned how to coordinate a running game, take advantage of mismatches, use his offensive skill position players in unique ways that play to their strengths. All of those are things he couldn't (or refused) to do here and certainly couldn't do in his one year in St Louis. But it also true that he has the GOAT QB, a good OL, the most game-changing TE to ever play and a whole host of other versatile weapons. There's a lot you can do with that. I could probably coordinate a respectable offense with all he has to work with not to mention being backed by a franchise that is an absolute machine. 

Really, the bottom line will be a) has Mac's personality evolved to the point where he can work well with others and b) what is he going to do with a talent crop that looks more that of the 49ers than it does the Patriots. 

I could see Chicago making a move for him. Our GM, Ryan Pace, is a pretty amicable dude and strongly believes in a GM and head coach working hand in hand when acquiring talent (among other things).

Some weapons here... Trubisky (who needs a ton of work), Cohen (scat back), Howard (bruiser), Shaheen (raw yet big/athletic TE). Our WR corps need to be revamped, and it will be... I just wonder if that's enough to entice McDaniels to leave NE.

Archived