Heinicke to be the Starter Moving Forward

turtle28

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I personally don't view Heinicke as good enough to get us much further than a first round exit. However, I don't think Wentz even gets you that far regardless of the situation. I had hopes he'd recapture some of the magic he had previously in his career however once I came to the conclusion, at least in my mind, that he was never going to it was time to move on. I don't want Rivera committing a major chunk of our salary cap to a guy who needs the perfect situation around him to succeed. I think some have this view that I see Heinicke as the answer when all I really see him is as better than Wentz. We lucked out with the injury because we almost certainly would've continued losing while continuing to play Wentz and would've given up a high second round pick.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Same Page GIF by E!

Same page man. Same page. I, like you, definitely want to upgrade Heinicke/have him compete in an open competition next year, I just don’t want that guy to be Wentz. I never wanted Wentz, hoped it had worked out but it just hasn’t. It hasn’t even worked out for us as well as it did for the Colts last year w/ Wentz. We need to ride this year out with Heinicke, move on from Wentz next year and add someone else through FA or the draft to compete w/ Heinicke & Howell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether this is even unpopular at this point, but I would have the hook ready for Heinicke next weekend if I was Rivera.

It’s just a question of talent. If it was all a competition about who has the most heart, guts, passion, intensity, etc., I think we all would likely agree that Heinicke would finish near the leaders in that race (and Wentz…likely not). 

But the whole argument for Heinicke has boiled down to “they win with him,” and I think we’ve all been okay with that (even Heinicke skeptics like me) because…it’s been true. But if they fall behind against SF, it’s not going to be quite so true. And at that point, it’s getting pretty close to time for the panic button. 

Can you really afford to go down for the season with the QB that most agree is the most talented sitting on the bench? I couldn’t. If the Heinicke magic continues to run out of steam, I’d absolutely have to see if there’s anything there with Wentz and give him a shot against CLE/DAL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not sure whether this is even unpopular at this point, but I would have the hook ready for Heinicke next weekend if I was Rivera.

It’s just a question of talent. If it was all a competition about who has the most heart, guts, passion, intensity, etc., I think we all would likely agree that Heinicke would finish near the leaders in that race (and Wentz…likely not). 

But the whole argument for Heinicke has boiled down to “they win with him,” and I think we’ve all been okay with that (even Heinicke skeptics like me) because…it’s been true. But if they fall behind against SF, it’s not going to be quite so true. And at that point, it’s getting pretty close to time for the panic button. 

Can you really afford to go down for the season with the QB that most agree is the most talented sitting on the bench? I couldn’t. If the Heinicke magic continues to run out of steam, I’d absolutely have to see if there’s anything there with Wentz and give him a shot against CLE/DAL. 

There's nothing with Wentz and I badly want them to put him back in so this can finally be put to rest. I do not want this team convincing themselves to bring him back next year. 

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

So you think Wentz would have handled the turnstyle oline better?

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

So you think Wentz would have handled the turnstyle oline better?

His set and release is much quicker than Heinickes, so on quick throws maybe. The off schedule plays undoubtedly favor Heinicke. I didn't think Heinicke played poorly minus the two backbreaking turnovers. Considering one was an immediate point booster for them and the other prevented us from getting any points, it pretty much overshadows the good he did in the game. His statline really wasn't bad either (probably one of his best passer rating games of the season).

I think they should keep going with Heinicke unless we lose the playoff spot, in which case you have to see what Sam Howell can do. 

I think we all know the difference still and it's what you would rather have. There were 3 or 4 throws last night that TH absolutely missed or lofted that Wentz would have had. And it maybe would make the difference (looking at that throw to Samuel). But also Wentz probably gets sacked twice as much last night too. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think we all know the difference still and it's what you would rather have. There were 3 or 4 throws last night that TH absolutely missed or lofted that Wentz would have had. And it maybe would make the difference (looking at that throw to Samuel). But also Wentz probably gets sacked twice as much last night too. 

It’s unfortunate. We have one guy who can throw the ball 70 yards down the field but can’t hit the broad side of a barn in between and the other that’s good on short to intermediate but pretty bad beyond 20 yards. I’m not really sure what you do? I wouldn’t agree with turning back to Wentz because anything he does is fools gold. If it were me, when Wentz went down I would’ve gone straight to Howell. Not seeing what we have in him was kinda strange to me. I know he’s a fifth round pick but he’s not a normal fifth round pick. The odds of him being successful are very low but it would’ve made more sense to me than putting Heinicke in and I like Heinicke. 

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s unfortunate. We have one guy who can throw the ball 70 yards down the field but can’t hit the broad side of a barn in between and the other that’s good on short to intermediate but pretty bad beyond 20 yards. I’m not really sure what you do? I wouldn’t agree with turning back to Wentz because anything he does is fools gold. If it were me, when Wentz went down I would’ve gone straight to Howell. Not seeing what we have in him was kinda strange to me. I know he’s a fifth round pick but he’s not a normal fifth round pick. The odds of him being successful are very low but it would’ve made more sense to me than putting Heinicke in and I like Heinicke. 

And unfortunately at this point Howells only shot of playing is probably the last week if we’re out of the playoffs 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/commanders/ron-rivera-will-think-about-qb-change-if-offensive-struggles-persist?cid=sm_npd_rsn_dc_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR0qNSQkb2mv_juIRLIMYljwK84B7IltHqo5nbqew2bqh7cRQkkQH29UoHA

"It is something, though, that obviously is talked about out there and it is something, to be quite frank, I do have to think about at some point," he said. "But if we can get back on track and play the way that we've played and do things that we've done, then we'll stick with where we are."

Oh boy... Hopefully this brings out "playoff/last time I ever play" Heinicke out or we could be seeing Carson Wentz again. Fortunately I think we are too into the season to be at risk for the 2nd round pick. If he does play, I hope that Scott Turner calls the same gameplans he has for Taylor. A heavy dose of run (if he sticks with it) and some deep shots with a solid short/middle game.

12 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/commanders/ron-rivera-will-think-about-qb-change-if-offensive-struggles-persist?cid=sm_npd_rsn_dc_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR0qNSQkb2mv_juIRLIMYljwK84B7IltHqo5nbqew2bqh7cRQkkQH29UoHA

Oh boy... Hopefully this brings out "playoff/last time I ever play" Heinicke out or we could be seeing Carson Wentz again. Fortunately I think we are too into the season to be at risk for the 2nd round pick. If he does play, I hope that Scott Turner calls the same gameplans he has for Taylor. A heavy dose of run (if he sticks with it) and some deep shots with a solid short/middle game.

The allure of his ability to stretch the field doesn’t change the fact he’s pretty inaccurate in the mid game and takes sacks at an alarming rate. Putting him back in will almost certainly end this season and I won’t have to hear about Wentz or Rivera anymore because they’ll both be gone. Carson Wentz is Jeff George at this point without all of his teammates hating him.