Antonio Brown's legacy

JDLefebvre

He's 29.5 years old in his 8th season.   702 receptions for 9400 yards, 56 touchdowns, and 13.4 ypr.

Five straight years with over 1000 yards receiving.  On pace for his 5th straight years with over 100 receptions.   

Best in the game stats...

Jerry Rice -  20 years - 1549 receptions, 22900 yards 197 TDs 14.8 ypr

Randy Moss - 14 years - 982 receptions, 15200 yards 156 TDs 15.6 ypr

Terrell Owens - 15 years - 1078 receptions, 15900 yards, 153 TDs 14.8 ypr

Hard to believe he'll keep up what he's been doing recently for another 8+ years but after 8 years... TO had approx *8500 yards, 595 rec and 81 TDs, Randy Moss had approx 640 receptions, 10,000 yards (WOW) and 98 TDs, and Jerry Rice had approx 700 receptions, 12,000 yards (WOW) and 101 TDs

If his work ethic continues to be what it has been or what he is known for and IF the Steelers find a quality QB to take over for Ben when he retires how great do you think AB will be when all is said and done?????

Will he be known as a top 5... 10... 20 WR of ALL TIME?

Hall of Fame seems a certainty, right?

3 minutes ago, kramxel said:

He's attitude could be a problem going forward... I know a lot of the top 10 were WAY worse than him, but those were different times.

Ehh...  IDK about that.  He's a prima donna like most great WRs but I don't see it being much of an issue.  He's a competitor and gets frustrated like any competitor but it goes back to IF they get a quality QB after Ben  IMO.   IDK how the times being different would affect that. He doesn't do things on or off the field to really get in trouble.  

Adam Rank's tweet yesterday actually has me wanting to make a topic about the top 20 WRs of the last 25 years. While I say there is no way in hell AB is #1, I think he's arguably top 15 and possibly the only WR of this current era (considering Calvin and Fitz the previous era) with a claim to top 20 TBH.

1 minute ago, JDLefebvre said:

Ehh...  IDK about that.  He's a prima donna like most great WRs but I don't see it being much of an issue.  He's a competitor and gets frustrated like any competitor but it goes back to IF they get a quality QB after Ben  IMO.   IDK how the times being different would affect that. He doesn't do things on or off the field to really get in trouble.  

My comment was more of a doubt about the league's future than it was about AB's attitude.

I only see this getting worse and teams being even more hypocritical in their tolerance towards players.

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

remember when steeler fans were concerned if AB could handle the load of being a number 1 WR when wallace left lol

haha... yeah that was a fun off-season... can't remember exactly but didn't Wallace turn down what the Steelers offered and then they resigned AB to a big contract?   Or what was considered a big contract until he outplayed it. 

4 minutes ago, JDLefebvre said:

haha... yeah that was a fun off-season... can't remember exactly but didn't Wallace turn down what the Steelers offered and then they resigned AB to a big contract?   Or what was considered a big contract until he outplayed it. 

believe they offed wallace that deal and he rejected it so they gave it to brown lol man, we got lucky with brown

trading holmes, brown lasting until the 6th after we already drafted sanders and Wallace rejecting that deal...

We don't really know.  AB's game relies on his ability to read defenses, run sharp routes and separate from corners.  In what order is kind of hard to say.  But the problem with WR's who rely on their ability to separate with speed and quickness is that they tend to get slower with age.  Will AB be just the second "smaller" WR to retain that ability as he ages?  It'd be him and Jerry Rice.  The other guys mentioned in the OP were huge targets that could body out corners.

We're only guessing at this point.  But i think he's probably got another 3-4 years before you start to see some reduced effectiveness.  The question is going to be - will he fall off a cliff like so many of the greats before him?  Or will he continue to be productive into his twilight years like so very few are?  

No doubt many in this thread will predict the latter.  But we've seen so many fall off a cliff that the smarter money is on him ending up with fringe top 10 numbers and being considered a top 6-15 WR.

BTW, the other thing that will work against Brown being considered one of the all time greats is his lack of TD's.  His yardage numbers will be great.  His TD numbers will be less than great. Merely very good.

Archived