The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

With Wentz working towards activation Howell should be going back to the scout team.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I imagine these last 5 weeks he has gotten starter reps as the backup which should have been incredibly valuable to his development.  I am surprised no reporters or anyone has commented on how that has gone and how he has handled that role and progressed.

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

With Wentz working towards activation Howell should be going back to the scout team.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I imagine these last 5 weeks he has gotten starter reps as the backup which should have been incredibly valuable to his development.  I am surprised no reporters or anyone has commented on how that has gone and how he has handled that role and progressed.

I thought I read/heard that Wentz won’t be active for the game, he’s just practicing.

https://riggosrag.com/2022/11/26/commanders-ron-rivera-reveals-one-area-sam-howell-must-improve/

Commanders Ron Rivera wants Sam Howell to improve in this key area.

“I think he’s getting more and more comfortable,” Rivera said of Howell last week. “There’s some little details to his technique and his footwork that I know [QB coach] Kenny [Zampese]’s really harping on. In college, you can get away with those things, and he did, and he did a really great job, but there are some things that in this league you have to be really good at.”

That seems to be the biggest adjustment for Howell. Though a three-year starter at North Carolina, the Tar Heels’ offense didn’t come close to replicating an NFL offense. That’s another hurdle Howell with have to clear, though the fifth-round pick didn’t seem overwhelmed in that regard during the preseason.

“Great example, a couple of times in the preseason when he got sacked or got hit, it was understanding that you’re in shotgun; we considered this a five-step drop. Well, it’s not catch the ball, shuffle your feet and throw it,” Rivera added.

“It’s you may have to take a step and a half to make it a five-step drop and that helps aid in the timing, helps aid in the protection, because if you’re only at three and a half, four yards, that guard or that tackles expecting you to be at five or six and you’re not, that’s tough on him. So those are little things that he has to understand what certain plays call for in terms of the depth of your drop and how important that is to your protection.”

Watching Kenny Pickett last night win on Monday Night while throwing dimes all over the field w/ strong & accurate ball placement has visions of sugar-plums dancing in my head for when Sam Howell eventually becomes the Commanders starter as I’ve always seen them as equal. 

200.gif

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it be great, if our future star QB was already on this roster the whole time?

I want the draft positioning, but I want this kid to look good.

If he looks good, btw? Really shines vs Dallas?

I will be in favor of firing Ron Rivera, but keeping (OC) Scott Turner.

Maybe even consider him as Head Coach in the new owner transition.

An in-house move if you will.

Personally, I don't think Turner is the problem. Players are open all the time.

I think the problem is Rivera.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Watching those videos, I have a hard time getting excited about his prospects. 

Classic fat face QB. We know how those turn out.

Lol

I couldn't help but laugh at the "fat face" comment.

It wouldn't be so funny, if it weren't true. Lol

The very few fat face QB's can probably be counted on 1 hand in the League.

Matt Stafford for 1.

So we need to do our scouting this year, by that rule.

We only want "rat faced" prospects.

No fat faces....lol

Then, we'll finally have our guy. Lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I hope he changes your mind about him lol.

I was just messing with Ace about the fat face thing 😂

I’m really not actually that down on him. I think he’s an NFL QB, and it’ll be nice to see an athlete who can keep up with some of these young stars in terms of just pure physical ability (arms and legs). He seems like a nice kid, so it’ll be easy to root for him to kill it. 

I just have my long-held deep prejudice against QBs who fall down the draft board. When everyone is fine with passing on you over and over, everyone usually turns out to have been right. 

But one of the interesting things about Howell is that he was previously a candidate for #1 overall. And one thing I do believe in is guys who peaked early and then got knocked because folks got disappointed because they couldn’t find another even higher gear every year. I feel like Justin Herbert is the classic example of that, but it seems to happen to guys at every position at times. If you can tear it up as a freshman/sophomore, that means you’re gifted enough to compete with anybody — even if you did seem to take a step back later in your college career.

• Like 1

Anyone else considering not watching this Sundays game?

I want to see Howell play, but what do I really gain from it. We will most likely get blown out. The staff is infuriating as hell to watch. The biggest thing is, I hate watching Dallas do anything good. I hate seeing their players celebrate. I hate seeing their fans in the stands. I hate Jerry Jones ugly mug. I know too many Dallas fans as well. Back in the early 2000s, I was dumb enough to accept bets with them. I don't even bother anymore. Getting swept by the Cowboys has almost become a yearly tradition. Ugh.

Much like MKnight said, I hate Dallas and always want to beat them, but a win is very unlikely (and could have some serious negative longterm effects) and I am pretty burnt on this season.