The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It’s about time!!! Bring Taylor back. Young rookie QB’s usually have experienced wel paid backups. Taylor legit looks like Sam’s friend on the sidelines. I want him with Sam I think Taylor is good for this team as a backup

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:07 PM, ripsean21 said:

It’s about time!!! Bring Taylor back. Young rookie QB’s usually have experienced wel paid backups. Taylor legit looks like Sam’s friend on the sidelines. I want him with Sam I think Taylor is good for this team as a backup

That’s why I think trading out of the first round would be good insurance in case this doesn’t work out. I still wanna build up the offensive line I believe you could still do it was second third and fourth round picks. If there’s enough confidence in Sam,then you don’t trade the pick but that’s a big chance to take  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:30 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

That’s why I think trading out of the first round would be good insurance in case this doesn’t work out. I still wanna build up the offensive line I believe you could still do it was second third and fourth round picks. If there’s enough confidence in Sam,then you don’t trade the pick but that’s a big chance to take  

I wouldn’t trade out of the 1st round. I’d still take the BPA in a position off need with our 1st round pick which could be one of the top OTs, Michael Mayer or one of the top CBs.

I really hope we build the team this off season around Sam Howell, like Rivera has mentioned.

He looked really good in his NFL debut. Man, does he run well & have a cannon arm.

I would try to sign Marcus Mariota as his backup, if he's available. He would fit well with the type of Offense we are going to be running.

Which to my understanding is going to be the RPO, or Read Option type.

Then I would draft another QB on day 3 of the draft, that runs that system in College currently.

Our WR's are perfect! Wouldn't change a thing.

We need a better return man, however. Milne sucks something awful. So maybe draft his replacement. Someone with speed, like the dude for Jacksonville.

We need to completely overhaul our O-line.

I'm talking.... completely. Use FA, Draft, Trades, or whatever. But we need to build that O-line for the type of Offense we'll be running as well.

I would resign Payne. ( Or tag him if you have too)

I would send out feelers in trading Chase Young. If his value throughout the league is higher, than the production he has given this team & his injury he's recovered from hasn't tanked it? I would consider it. Otherwise, keep him & hope he has a breakout year. 

Personally, I would offer him in trades if a team has a player we want as well.

For example: If Atlanta offered TE Kyle Pitts for Chase Young in some sort of trade scenario & unknown compensation?

I wouldn't even think about it. I'd pull the trigger.

Which is sad, actually. We should be laughing at teams wanting to trade for him. Not considering them.

He should be having a Micah Parsons impact at minimum.

The bad thing is, if Chase Young doesn't blow up this season & have a crazy pro Bowl season? His value will tank, if it hasn't already. Then you won't be able to trade him for CB Willie Jackson. 

I'm on the fence....part of me wants to keep him, to see if he has that blow up year.

The other part of me wants to trade him now, before it's common knowledge throughout the League he's a bust & his contract comes due.

But I would definitely dangle him out there & see what offers came forward in a trade.

I would 🚫 NOT trade Payne.

Unless the trade was ridiculous.

What would be ridiculous?

Seattle's two 1st round picks.... And maybe TE Noah Fant also.

Either way...I wouldn't trade Payne & Young in the same season. Wouldn't do it.

One of them, sure. But not both.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I really hope we build the team this off season around Sam Howell, like Rivera has mentioned.

He looked really good in his NFL debut. Man, does he run well & have a cannon arm.

I would try to sign Marcus Mariota as his backup, if he's available. He would fit well with the type of Offense we are going to be running.

Didn't I already talk you off that ledge from how we reacted to his benching? 😁

Which to my understanding is going to be the RPO, or Read Option type.

Then I would draft another QB on day 3 of the draft, that runs that system in College currently.

If you really want a guy late, it's probably Duggan or Bennett or O'Connell from Purdue

I would send out feelers in trading Chase Young. If his value throughout the league is higher, than the production he has given this team & his injury he's recovered from hasn't tanked it? I would consider it. Otherwise, keep him & hope he has a breakout year. 

His value has never been lower. It would probably be the worst time. 

Personally, I would offer him in trades if a team has a player we want as well.

For example: If Atlanta offered TE Kyle Pitts for Chase Young in some sort of trade scenario & unknown compensation?

I wouldn't even think about it. I'd pull the trigger.

So what would you give up with Young to get Pitts? Cause we're not getting a pick out of it. 

Teams don’t build around 5th round QBs that have started one game. Sam Howell should not impact any decision we make this off-season.  We should hire the best OC available and not care about how it impacts Howell.  If a FA QB is available that we think can help us win games, we should sign them.  If a QB drops to us in the first round, we should draft them.  Sam Howell should be treated as a lottery ticket in our back pocket that may pay out but it’s a long shot.  You don’t plan your future on a long shot.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I respect Jordan Reid as a draft analyst but I have no clue how you could possibly watch Anthony Richardson and then watch Sam Howell and come away believing Richardson is better? Richardson is awful. He's more of a project than Trey Lance. 

I think part of it is they are enamored with Richardson's highs. When he's ON, he's actually incredible. But it was too sporadic. I am not interested in him at all, but I get why some do have a high appeal of him. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I respect Jordan Reid as a draft analyst but I have no clue how you could possibly watch Anthony Richardson and then watch Sam Howell and come away believing Richardson is better? Richardson is awful. He's more of a project than Trey Lance. 

It’s bc sometimes scouts fall in love with potential rather than what the tape is actually showing them. 

• Like 1

I've been watching all of Sam Howell's tape.

All preseason runs & passes + the Cowboys game.

This dude is a gamer! I came away after watching, asking myself. Why didn't this dude start earlier?

I can't help but wonder what our record would have been had he started all 17 games. Oh well...

I sure hope we plan on getting him ready as QB #1 & all the stuff Rivera said about him being our starter next year, is not just hot air.

I know the sample size is small.

But I hope we spend our cap money building a better roster & drafting well & see what this young man can do here.

Wouldn't it be ironic, that after spending 24 years under Snyder looking for that Franchise QB, that we finally hit on one the year he sells the team?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I've been watching all of Sam Howell's tape.

All preseason runs & passes + the Cowboys game.

This dude is a gamer! I came away after watching, asking myself. Why didn't this dude start earlier?

I can't help but wonder what our record would have been had he started all 17 games. Oh well...

I sure hope we plan on getting him ready as QB #1 & all the stuff Rivera said about him being our starter next year, is not just hot air.

I know the sample size is small.

But I hope we spend our cap money building a better roster & drafting well & see what this young man can do here.

Wouldn't it be ironic, that after spending 24 years under Snyder looking for that Franchise QB, that we finally hit on one the year he sells the team?

My guess is that if we had never trade for Wentz & Howell had beat our Heinicke in August - unlikely - that we would’ve had a similar record but, I think we’d know more about him & we’d feel better/more sure about our future. 

We can’t forget that our D was awful to start the season, Trai Turner wasn’t healthy which made our RG position an issue, then Roullier & Wes S got hurt at center. Maybe we win the Titans game w/ Howell or Heinicke bc they might not throw the int to end the game but on the flip side I don’t know that they hit the passes to Dyami Brown that Wentz did. The Jax game & Tenn game were about as good as you could expect from Wentz.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just excited to see what Sam can do!!! I’m happy he’s here and I hope he works his tail off and just plays his game and I hope this team can really highlight his strengths and game and I hope he can build something special with some pretty talented weapons. And if we can give him some time and his wheels if he can minimize the sacks and mistakes I really think he can open up a pretty exciting offense but it’s on this whole staff FO and roster to be assembled to put each player in a position to shine. A saftey blanket TE with Terry Jahan Curtis and these RB’s and a younger more athletic and tougher OL could really be a nasty if we are patient enough to grow the QB and system with each other

• Thaiphoon changed the title to The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread