The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

With Wentz possibly out a few weeks or so, I thought we would discuss who should be starting till then.

I understand he doesn't know the Offense as well as Heinike, I presume.

And maybe Heinike gives the team a better chance at winning?

But when do you play Sam Howell? When do you find out you need to draft a QB in the 2023 draft, because Sam Howell isn't good enough.

He was arguably the best QB in the 2022 draft, until bizarrely falling to us in the 5th round.

You know what Heinike brings you. What does Sam bring?

Let's not forget?

We have Dyami Brown & Cole Turner in the starting unit's as of now with injuries to Jahan Dotson & Logan Thomas.

Wouldn't the chemistry of those 2, be very helpful with the transition of Sam Howell as University of North Carolina Alumni?

Rivera also drafted Sam Howell, unlike Taylor Heinike. Wouldn't that allow Rivera to save face, if Sam plays well?

I would start the young kid.

I actually like Taylor Heinike. He plays with spirit & emotion.

He scrambles & makes big plays in big moments.

We also know he can win games. (Beat Brady & Carr last yr)

So I won't be upset, if he gets the starting nod. In fact, I expect it.

But from a football standpoint?

In knowing what you have in the young rookie from N. Carolina?

To finding out what he's made of?

It's the right move?

How many teams are starting rookies, or have this year?

Pittsburgh? New England? 

Am I missing any?

They are smart organizations.

There's absolutely no reason, or excuse, to not start & play the rookie right now.

Which is why this organization is stupid.

I’m really not trying to be too much of a football hipster here, but there’s a very reasonable argument to be made that Sam Howell wasn’t even the best QB on the UNC roster last year. Drake Maye is already putting up better numbers than Howell ever did — and he’s not doing it with 4 future NFL skill players around him. 

I’m largely indifferent to who they play, as I think Heinicke would be the best of the 3 right now but also has the lowest ceiling, so they all have their selling points. But I do find it curious that folks are holding out any more hope for Howell (this season) than just pure “wishing on a star.”

This staff has struggled to get Carson Wentz prepared to even protect himself, let alone to execute the offense and do a lot of damage. He’s a 7-year NFL vet who has a load of playing experience, and they’ve had him in-house and taking all the reps at least since February. And he can’t do a damn thing if he doesn’t have time to process. Howell is a rookie, getting 3rd string reps (basically none), and he’s only been here since May. He struggled to protect himself even in the ACC, and he spent a ton of time rambling upright down the middle of the field — the type of thing that could get him killed against NFL regulars. 

It’s just…very unlikely…that he’s ready to play. Maybe he’ll shock the world, and I guess that’s where we are at this point. Tossing up Hail Marys. But I fully suspect what you’ll see is a less capable version of Wentz, with more sacks and more desperate heaves, but also more ability to pick up some yards with his legs. So I guess those plays would be fun, at least…?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m really not trying to be too much of a football hipster here, but there’s a very reasonable argument to be made that Sam Howell wasn’t even the best QB on the UNC roster last year. Drake Maye is already putting up better numbers than Howell ever did — and he’s not doing it with 4 future NFL skill players around him. 

I’m largely indifferent to who they play, as I think Heinicke would be the best of the 3 right now but also has the lowest ceiling, so they all have their selling points. But I do find it curious that folks are holding out any more hope for Howell (this season) than just pure “wishing on a star.”

This staff has struggled to get Carson Wentz prepared to even protect himself, let alone to execute the offense and do a lot of damage. He’s a 7-year NFL vet who has a load of playing experience, and they’ve had him in-house and taking all the reps at least since February. And he can’t do a damn thing if he doesn’t have time to process. Howell is a rookie, getting 3rd string reps (basically none), and he’s only been here since May. He struggled to protect himself even in the ACC, and he spent a ton of time rambling upright down the middle of the field — the type of thing that could get him killed against NFL regulars. 

It’s just…very unlikely…that he’s ready to play. Maybe he’ll shock the world, and I guess that’s where we are at this point. Tossing up Hail Marys. But I fully suspect what you’ll see is a less capable version of Wentz, with more sacks and more desperate heaves, but also more ability to pick up some yards with his legs. So I guess those plays would be fun, at least…?

Skylar Astin Corage GIF by The Roku Channel

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not really sure what Drake Maye being good has to do with Sam Howell? Howell can’t be good because Maye might be better? Sorry E, just confusing that’s all. 

Good thing he’s improved his footwork bc he needed it. It’s the main reason he lasted to round 5. Hopefully he also got rid of all the patting of the ball multiple times before he throws. It’s a wasted motion that allows the D to close on him when the ball should be out.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

If Snyder is really being pushed out Rivera has got to feel he's auditioning for any potential new owner.  I think the possibility of him playing Howell this year just went way down. 

He should feel like he is auditioning for a different team. He has to know a new owner wants a fresh start. Rivera has shown zero improvement from year to year, in fact his teams have gotten worse each year. 

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

He should feel like he is auditioning for a different team. He has to know a new owner wants a fresh start. Rivera has shown zero improvement from year to year, in fact his teams have gotten worse each year. 

I think he had very strong job security before this Snyder mess. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think he had very strong job security before this Snyder mess. 

Not sure about that, he had 2 losing seasons in a row & was fired from Carolina.

How are we forgetting this?

So now he has 4 losing seasons in a row and he’s started off this season 2-4 with 4 games not scoring 20 points & 3 games not scoring even 17.

What owner wants that as their next HC?

I don’t care how good a guy he is or, “professional he is,” it’s a results league & his results have mostly sucked as a HC for over a decade.

Edited by turtle28

• Thaiphoon changed the title to The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread