Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

On 10/17/2022 at 5:46 PM, Madmike90 said:

I don't think landing there would be a bad thing to be fair...I believe they have faith in Fields so even if we land at say #4 and Young, Stroud & Anderson go before us there are trade down options for teams who are desperate for a QB like Levis or even to stay there and take the likes of Carter, Murphy or Johnson.

Why do you think they have faith in Fields?

Do you typically try and kill the things you love?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Why do you think they have faith in Fields?

Do you typically try and kill the things you love?

I think they can see the raw talent he has…truthfully does anyone really believe CJ Stroud is a better prospect than Fields was? Because IMO it’s not even close that Fields is bigger, stronger, more athletic, as a better arm & made even bigger players at bigger times in the scheme…I don’t even thing Young is a better prospect given is obvious size limitation (do love his moxy mind you)…I think it is easy to see what Fields does well and where he needs work but everything he needs work on can improved…he has ever took in the box and then some to be an elite QB…we just need to figure out how to unlock that (better talent around him would be the place to start)…

I also don’t think they are trying to kill him…I just think the long term plan is being put ahead of this season…not a bad thing on the whole…next year if we can surround him with a better team in all aspects we can truly start to evaluate him IMO.

45 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think they can see the raw talent he has…truthfully does anyone really believe CJ Stroud is a better prospect than Fields was? Because IMO it’s not even close that Fields is bigger, stronger, more athletic, as a better arm & made even bigger players at bigger times in the scheme…I don’t even thing Young is a better prospect given is obvious size limitation (do love his moxy mind you)…I think it is easy to see what Fields does well and where he needs work but everything he needs work on can improved…he has ever took in the box and then some to be an elite QB…we just need to figure out how to unlock that (better talent around him would be the place to start)…

I also don’t think they are trying to kill him…I just think the long term plan is being put ahead of this season…not a bad thing on the whole…next year if we can surround him with a better team in all aspects we can truly start to evaluate him IMO.

I think putting the long term plan ahead of the health and well being of your young QB is kind of stupid.

Unless he isn’t your long term QB,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think putting the long term plan ahead of the health and well being of your young QB is kind of stupid.

Unless he isn’t your long term QB,

I don’t feel they are trying to get him hurt…I think Fields has to do better to protect himself…the OL needs to be better in protecting him…the receivers need to get open faster…it’s like Flus said…it really is going to take all 11 guys to improve this and right now we just don’t have the dudes to get it done.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don’t feel they are trying to get him hurt…I think Fields has to do better to protect himself…the OL needs to be better in protecting him…the receivers need to get open faster…it’s like Flus said…it really is going to take all 11 guys to improve this and right now we just don’t have the dudes to get it done.

I agree that Fields needs to be better on his own.

Ryan Poles failed to put a basic level of NFL talent around Justin Fields. 

We want the OL and WRs to be better, but maybe they can’t because they suck. We have little to no talent to be better.

There is only 2 reads of this situation that I can see,

1. Justin Fields is Poles’ guy and he just failed to provide him with basic NFL talent on offense.

2. Justin Fields isn’t Poles’ guy and he didn’t really care about what happened on the field this year.

I think it is failure on Poles part more than it was part of the plan.

55 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There is only 2 reads of this situation that I can see,

1. Justin Fields is Poles’ guy and he just failed to provide him with basic NFL talent on offense.

2. Justin Fields isn’t Poles’ guy and he didn’t really care about what happened on the field this year.

I think it is failure on Poles part more than it was part of the plan.

I just don't think Poles thought what we had was good enough and went with it...I think Poles knows full well what we have is not good enough but decided he needed to go this route to fix the mess that Pace left behind him...it is clear that this sort of year will fix it...next offseason we are going to be in an extremely strong position to build this team how they want...the short term pain is worth the long term gain.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I just don't think Poles thought what we had was good enough and went with it...I think Poles knows full well what we have is not good enough but decided he needed to go this route to fix the mess that Pace left behind him...it is clear that this sort of year will fix it...next offseason we are going to be in an extremely strong position to build this team how they want...the short term pain is worth the long term gain.

This could not have been the plan for the offense and Fields. I refuse to believe when they set out this offseason the plan was for the offense to be this horrendous.

The moves he did make on offense have been bad.

He is a first GM who blew the offseason on offense. Nothing Pace did or left behind required Poles to build an unprofessional offense.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This could not have been the plan for the offense and Fields. I refuse to believe when they set out this offseason the plan was for the offense to be this horrendous.

The moves he did make on offense have been bad.

He is a first GM who blew the offseason on offense. Nothing Pace did or left behind required Poles to build an unprofessional offense.

What moves on offence? I'm not even sure we can call them moves...he basically did the bare minimum because he didn't want to spend money this year...as I said I don't think Poles thought any of these moves were for the long term...the contract length's alone in the offseason prove that...he just wanted to get through this season and to the promise land of having a ton of options in the next offseason.

• Like 1

What moves on offence? I'm not even sure we can call them moves...he basically did the bare minimum because he didn't want to spend money this year...as I said I don't think Poles thought any of these moves were for the long term...the contract length's alone in the offseason prove that...he just wanted to get through this season and to the promise land of having a ton of options in the next offseason.

When he paid Lucas Patrick and Byron Pringle 4 million a piece he thought they would be contributing members of the offense… they are a ghost and a **** player.

When he drafted Velus Jones in the 3rd round I assume he thought he would have some sort of role on offense and he can’t beat out Smith-Marsette and Dante Pettis.

He made moves on offense, not big ones, but actual moves and they have all be major disappointments.

Punting on 2022 when Fields needed to play 17 games was and is stupid. It is illogical to subject Fields to this level of abuse to save a little extra money in 2023.

• Like 1

He is failing at “getting through the season” on offense.

I would have more faith in Poles long term if he just blew it on offense this offseason… than if what we are seeing right now was the plan.

If the plan was to be historically bad in pass protection and have one of the worst WR cores in the league… I question his thinking.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

When he paid Lucas Patrick and Byron Pringle 4 million a piece he thought they would be contributing members of the offense… they are a ghost and a **** player.

When he drafted Velus Jones in the 3rd round I assume he thought he would have some sort of role on offense and he can’t beat out Smith-Marsette and Dante Pettis.

He made moves on offense, not big ones, but actual moves and they have all be major disappointments.

Punting on 2022 when Fields needed to play 17 games was and is stupid. It is illogical to subject Fields to this level of abuse to save a little extra money in 2023.

Spending $8 million on two projected offensive starters and a 3rd round pick on a WR aren’t “moves” they are replacements for guys let go…

Moves will be when he hopefully drops $20-$25 million on two experienced starting OL…that is a move…like I said there is no way Poles walked into that interview with George & co…preceded to reportedly rip this roster apart for not being any good then said his grand plan was to fix it with Patrick & Pringle…these were guys he saw as starting calibre but more importantly cheap players who he could get on short term contracts so that he could bank as much money in this offseason as possible.