Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t get much easier than this move. Wouldn’t have wanted to keep him even if he reduced his contract to the league minimum. 

Not every FA is going to work out…we all know that…but I still can’t believe just how bad he was out there…he was invisible…

Good to see them holding guys accountable and even with his history under Flus making the move quickly to get rid of him and start to se us up for making some better moves.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:16 AM, Old Guy said:

Didn't you find it interesting that Fields did an interview, I believe it was Super Bowl week, where he said, "I just wish they'd be honest with me. Tell me the direction they want to go!" It was something close to that effect.

Seems to be a lot of smoke. Not sure there is a fire there yet. 

The exchange actually went this way:

RE:  do you want to be kept in the loop with this process

JF: For sure, all I really want is just everyone to be honest

JF on other podcast (pretty sure it was right after the RE spot):  I just got a text from Ryan and he said they will keep me in the loop

JF on pardon my take: I'm a Bear for life.

There was no smoke at all, the only smoke in this whole thing has been some members of the media saying they should trade him and draft Young

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Not every FA is going to work out…we all know that…but I still can’t believe just how bad he was out there…he was invisible…

Good to see them holding guys accountable and even with his history under Flus making the move quickly to get rid of him and start to se us up for making some better moves.

To be fair the AQM signing was a bet that he was a player on the ascent, which his stats showed at least from a pass rushing standpoint. He just… wasn’t. Agree about the willingness to cut bait though. It’s refreshing.

I’ll be curious to see if they apply the same filter to Lucas Patrick since he ended up being a total miss last year too, though his was at least potentially mostly due to injury. My guess is no because I think they’ll still value Patrick as C depth even if he’s not starting. AQM had every chance to show last year that he could at least be a part of the rotation moving forward and failed at every turn.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

To be fair the AQM signing was a bet that he was a player on the ascent, which his stats showed at least from a pass rushing standpoint. He just… wasn’t. Agree about the willingness to cut bait though. It’s refreshing.

I’ll be curious to see if they apply the same filter to Lucas Patrick since he ended up being a total miss last year too, though his was at least potentially mostly due to injury. My guess is no because I think they’ll still value Patrick as C depth even if he’s not starting. AQM had every chance to show last year that he could at least be a part of the rotation moving forward and failed at every turn.

I was a big fan of the signing and still think it was the right move…just didn’t work out but I don’t think that is on Poles…more on AQM’s performance itself.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, Madmike90 said:

I was a big fan of the signing and still think it was the right move…just didn’t work out but I don’t think that is on Poles…more on AQM’s performance itself.

That’s more on Eberflus who probably vouched for him. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That’s more on Eberflus who probably vouched for him. 

I don't even think it's on Flus...like if a guy comes in and doesn't meet expectations you can talk about coaching or what he was asked to do but AQM was asked to do the exact same things he was before and wasn't bad...he was flat out invisible...that is on the player himself IMO.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I hope PFF are right on this one.

I’d be fine with any of those, though if we take the HOU deal I think we look to trade back again. I love both Anderson and Carter for us, but we need so much that I am leaning for more in quantity. That may change after FA though depending on where we spend. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't even think it's on Flus...like if a guy comes in and doesn't meet expectations you can talk about coaching or what he was asked to do but AQM was asked to do the exact same things he was before and wasn't bad...he was flat out invisible...that is on the player himself IMO.

You could say that about any player, FA or draft pick.  

The talent evaluation may be correct, but you misevaluated the person.   Or vice versa.  

It’s hard and sometimes near impossible to predict all variables.  But you are still responsible for it.  

Coaches spend so much time with players that is as close as you can get to knowing someone if you are paying close attention.  Why I put it on Flus.  I would have went to him on it too for reasons above.  

But anyone can still get it wrong.  We have no perfect knowledge.