Week 7 Gameday Thread: Green Bay Packers (3-3-0) @ Washington Commanders (2-4-0)

Striker

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No.  It is completely a gimmicky offense.  If you saw how many of our passes were either behind the LOS or within 3 yards of it, you'd probably throw up.

We throw stand up passes and WR type screens as the staple of our passing game.  

Our quarterback isn't accurate on the deep stuff and he isn't throwing accurate balls on even swing passes.

We all thought we were going to be a power run team.  However, we all thought wrong.  Our o-line forgot how to run block and our coach/quarterback forgot to stick to a run game.

Weird.  It wasn't like that last 3 years.  

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Weird.  It wasn't like that last 3 years.  

Our QB needs to be perfectly comfortable with his wide receivers.  And we were playing two rookies a lot along with an outside FA in Watson.  And we lost Cobb.

So really, we have one WR he's comfortable with...Lazard.  And he's getting dinged up often.

I want to say that our passing game is a mess.  But really, it is our quarterback that is helping to create the mess.

It's ugly.  Super ugly to watch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Our QB needs to be perfectly comfortable with his wide receivers.  And we were playing two rookies a lot along with an outside FA in Watson.  And we lost Cobb.

So really, we have one WR he's comfortable with...Lazard.  And he's getting dinged up often.

I want to say that our passing game is a mess.  But really, it is our quarterback that is helping to create the mess.

Don't you find yourself watching other games and being envious of the most mundane 7 yard passing plays for a first down? QB Fake pitch right to a RB who actually is setting up to chip OLB, wheel and throw left to a WR who threatens deep and settles in a space 7 yards deep as the ball arrives.

How has the not hard become so hard?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Don't you find yourself watching other games and being envious of the most mundane 7 yard passing plays for a first down? QB Fake pitch right to a RB who actually is setting up to chip OLB, wheel and throw left to a WR who threatens deep and settles in a space 7 yards deep as the ball arrives.

How has the not hard become so hard?

I'm grinning from ear to ear.

YES!!!  A THOUSAND TIMES, YES!!

I watch other offenses, even the Bears last night, and am envious of their offense versus ours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Knowing he is like that - why set up a team with that composition?

Hoping he changes?  He is eccentric and always believes he is smartest person in room.  No? 

You either cater to him and his peccadillos or you should have showed him the door.  

I don't get the weird hybrid set up of extending him and then giving him rookies and a journeyman FA WR unfamiliar to him.

It's not his first year there.   You knew what you are dealing with.   

If you can't give Harrison Ford his green m&ms in his dressing room don't expect shooting schedule to move forward in a timely manner.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Knowing he is like that - why set up a team with that composition?

Hoping he changes?  He is eccentric and always believes he is smartest person in room.  No? 

You either cater to him and his peccadillos or you should have showed him the door.  

I don't get the weird hybrid set up of extending him and then giving him rookies and a journeyman FA WR unfamiliar to him.

It's not his first year there.   You knew what you are dealing with.   

If you can't give Harrison Ford his green m&ms in his dressing room don't expect shooting schedule to move forward in a timely manner.

Why set up a team like that?  Because our stud WR demanded to be traded and would not accept a financial offer in GB that was greater than what he was getting from Vegas.  Then...there were no top flight WR's available in free agency.  Then the draft didn't fall to where GB could move up for a top WR in the draft.

Hoping he changes?  You nailed it.  He's the smartest guy, ever.  And he wants everyone to know it.

You either cater to him or you should have showed him the door?  K.  This one is out there.  On a few different levels.

1) He is the 2X reigning MVP.  Just name an MVP that was traded the same year he won that crown, or within a year.  Give me that example and I'll tell you that GB messed up.  Until then, I'll maintain that you simply do not trade a reigning MVP quarterback.  It is almost a surefire way to get yourself fired as a GM.  And don't give me any of this Russell Wilson BS...dude has literally never received 1 single vote for MVP, let alone been close to winning that award.  These are not the same things.

2) Cater to him.  GB tried.  They tried bringing back Adams, but he was gone.  He chose that, not the GB front office.  Rodgers was said to have wanted Watkins, so here he is.  They even built Rodgers a really good defense so he wouldn't have to shoulder the load.  And he's screwed that up with poor footwork and poor accuracy on most every throw in the playbook.

It's not his first year there.  Right.  13-3 for a couple years in a row.  Played well without his #1 WR.  We knew what he could be without 'Vante.  He's just played poorly this year.

Add to it Bakh not playing, while making a ton of money, Kenny Clark not playing up to his contract for the past few games and that is lot of money out there that isn't moving the needle right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why set up a team like that?  Because our stud WR demanded to be traded and would not accept a financial offer in GB that was greater than what he was getting from Vegas.  Then...there were no top flight WR's available in free agency.  Then the draft didn't fall to where GB could move up for a top WR in the draft.

Hoping he changes?  You nailed it.  He's the smartest guy, ever.  And he wants everyone to know it.

You either cater to him or you should have showed him the door?  K.  This one is out there.  On a few different levels.

1) He is the 2X reigning MVP.  Just name an MVP that was traded the same year he won that crown, or within a year.  Give me that example and I'll tell you that GB messed up.  Until then, I'll maintain that you simply do not trade a reigning MVP quarterback.  It is almost a surefire way to get yourself fired as a GM.  And don't give me any of this Russell Wilson BS...dude has literally never received 1 single vote for MVP, let alone been close to winning that award.  These are not the same things.

2) Cater to him.  GB tried.  They tried bringing back Adams, but he was gone.  He chose that, not the GB front office.  Rodgers was said to have wanted Watkins, so here he is.  They even built Rodgers a really good defense so he wouldn't have to shoulder the load.  And he's screwed that up with poor footwork and poor accuracy on most every throw in the playbook.

It's not his first year there.  Right.  13-3 for a couple years in a row.  Played well without his #1 WR.  We knew what he could be without 'Vante.  He's just played poorly this year.

Add to it Bakh not playing, while making a ton of money, Kenny Clark not playing up to his contract for the past few games and that is lot of money out there that isn't moving the needle right now.

I get that you don't want to get rid of a QB playing well.   Still tempting when he can fetch a Russel Wilson trade price or maybe more and he is at end of his career.  Ballsy move and GB has a different set up so maybe a front office could survive a move that an org. with a cranky owner couldn't.

But don't you build around him then?   I understand drafting Love, because Rodgers looked to be declining at time and didn't catch on fire until that year.  

There some decent receiving options without Adams other than Watkins who has not looked good in recent years. 

Off top of my head:

KC picked up JuJu and MVS and they are playing well and they weren't bank breakers.  Did Rodgers not like MVS?  - he is familiar with him.

Cooper went to Cleveland for a 5th I believe.  

Pickens was available for you in draft in 2nd if you were willing to risk his personality.  He is a first round talent. 

You could have done a double trade - trading away Adams and then trading for Tyreek Hill.   That would have been something.

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I get that you don't want to get rid of a QB playing well.   Still tempting when he can fetch a Russel Wilson trade price or maybe more and he is at end of his career.  Ballsy move and GB has a different set up so maybe a front office could survive a move that an org. with a cranky owner couldn't.

But don't you build around him then?   I understand drafting Love, because Rodgers looked to be declining at time and didn't catch on fire until that year.  

There some decent receiving options without Adams other than Watkins who has not looked good in recent years. 

Off top of my head:

KC picked up JuJu and MVS and they are playing well and they weren't bank breakers.  Did Rodgers not like MVS?  - he is familiar with him.

Cooper went to Cleveland for a 5th I believe.  

Pickens was available for you in draft in 2nd if you were willing to risk his personality.  He is a first round talent. 

You could have done a double trade - trading away Adams and then trading for Tyreek Hill.   That would have been something.

I believe Cooper was traded prior to GB losing Adams.  And even if he were not, we didn't have the money to do that deal.  Remember, GB re-signed Campbell and Douglas moments after Adams left.  And I want to say there is one more person that we did as well right after 'Vante left.

JuJu and MVS.  Personally, I thought JuJu was an overpay.  And MVS was about right.  No clue why MVS wasn't wanted back.  Could be because he wasn't a good route runner and had a history of poor hands?

Pickens?  Yah.  I liked him.  But...big time injury concerns and personality issues with him to go along with almost zero collegiate production.  He was not a first round prospect.  He would have been a reach there.  And maybe, a reach that was worth it.

Instead, we packaged two second round picks and took the small school kid with almost unreal athletic ability.  From a run first school where he should know how to block.  But?  He's fragile.  And he dropped a 70 yard TD on the first play of the season.  

This ain't Madden.  We aren't trading Adams, then finding a way to do a deal for Hill.  Once Adams was gone, we fortified the defnese.  Knowing how Rodgers had played with Adams, which was excellent.

Again, the issue is this.  Rodgers is not playing well.  It doesn't help that our o-line has been a mess.  And that our DC played scared football for a few quarters.  And that our specials unit still screws up big plays every single week.

Most of that is covered up when your QB is playing like Rodgers was in past years.  Not so much now that he is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I get they wanted to see him practice but he should've just went to the PUP for the beginning of the season. This o-line song and dance has been a disaster. They need to face the facts that he plays the game and doesn't practice. 

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I believe Cooper was traded prior to GB losing Adams.  And even if he were not, we didn't have the money to do that deal.  Remember, GB re-signed Campbell and Douglas moments after Adams left.  And I want to say there is one more person that we did as well right after 'Vante left.

JuJu and MVS.  Personally, I thought JuJu was an overpay.  And MVS was about right.  No clue why MVS wasn't wanted back.  Could be because he wasn't a good route runner and had a history of poor hands?

Pickens?  Yah.  I liked him.  But...big time injury concerns and personality issues with him to go along with almost zero collegiate production.  He was not a first round prospect.  He would have been a reach there.  And maybe, a reach that was worth it.

Instead, we packaged two second round picks and took the small school kid with almost unreal athletic ability.  From a run first school where he should know how to block.  But?  He's fragile.  And he dropped a 70 yard TD on the first play of the season.  

This ain't Madden.  We aren't trading Adams, then finding a way to do a deal for Hill.  Once Adams was gone, we fortified the defnese.  Knowing how Rodgers had played with Adams, which was excellent.

Again, the issue is this.  Rodgers is not playing well.  It doesn't help that our o-line has been a mess.  And that our DC played scared football for a few quarters.  And that our specials unit still screws up big plays every single week.

Most of that is covered up when your QB is playing like Rodgers was in past years.  Not so much now that he is not.

I agree with most of what you are saying.

Pickens was there in 2nd, I wasn't thinking of him in first.  I think he was a first round talent, but dropped because he is an ***.   His production was only low due to injury, which also drops him.  

I guess the thinking was that Watson could fill MVS role, but then you come back to Rodgers issues with rookies we already discussed.

O line is an underrated aspect of football and always has been.  Good QBs can look bad when talent around them is bad.

We have seen prime Brady, Manning, Mahomes and Rodgers look real bad in individual games when pressured a lot or when receiving talent was down.

Football is still ultimate team sport even though QBs mean a lot.   And momentum matters.  When there are struggles they tend to snowball.

You need momentum changers - or explosive players.  You are short on those right now, and I think that is biggest problem.

I thought defense would be more dominant, but games I have seen they have played well.  There is a lot of talent on D side of ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree with most of what you are saying.

Pickens was there in 2nd, I wasn't thinking of him in first.  I think he was a first round talent, but dropped because he is an ***.   His production was only low due to injury, which also drops him.  

I guess the thinking was that Watson could fill MVS role, but then you come back to Rodgers issues with rookies we already discussed.

O line is an underrated aspect of football and always has been.  Good QBs can look bad when talent around them is bad.

We have seen prime Brady, Manning, Mahomes and Rodgers look real bad in individual games when pressured a lot or when receiving talent was down.

Football is still ultimate team sport even though QBs mean a lot.   And momentum matters.  When there are struggles they tend to snowball.

You need momentum changers - or explosive players.  You are short on those right now, and I think that is biggest problem.

I thought defense would be more dominant, but games I have seen they have played well.  There is a lot of talent on D side of ball.

The D is very good.  And the scheme is getting better.

But they give up after the offense goes 3 and out for an entire half.  Or the specials blow another play.

We just drafted three OL with the hopes of solidifying that line.  For now and the future.  One guy is already playing LT and could be a steal.  Another is a guard that we are all disappointed in.  And the other is a RT Humping Tackle who actually look like a pro tackle in pre-season.

Just because it is dumpster fire now doesn't mean this team doesn't have talent.  Young and old.

It just isn't playing well now.  Mostly due to our QB missing things.  He hits 3 deep balls in a row sometime and watch what happens.  Because the routes are there, receivers are open.  He's just not seeing it yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The D is very good.  And the scheme is getting better.

But they give up after the offense goes 3 and out for an entire half.  Or the specials blow another play.

We just drafted three OL with the hopes of solidifying that line.  For now and the future.  One guy is already playing LT and could be a steal.  Another is a guard that we are all disappointed in.  And the other is a RT Humping Tackle who actually look like a pro tackle in pre-season.

Just because it is dumpster fire now doesn't mean this team doesn't have talent.  Young and old.

It just isn't playing well now.  Mostly due to our QB missing things.  He hits 3 deep balls in a row sometime and watch what happens.  Because the routes are there, receivers are open.  He's just not seeing it yet.

He needs more experience.