Ideal Starting OL?

.Buzz

So, I'm curious. If you guys were to put together the starting OL how would you go about it when everyone is healthy? We have had a glut of injuries along the OL so it's hard to tell if the unit would be changed at all if everyone was healthy, but what would be the unit if you were the coach?

In my opinion, with the impressive play of Shatley, I would be totally for moving Linder back to RG, slotting in Shatley at C, and moving Cann to his natural position of LG with Cam and Parnell at the tackle spots obviously.

I think it'll be interesting to see if/when Omameh and Parnell are active if the unit goes back to what it was to start the season. I sort of understand having Shatley be a backup today due to the fact that Cann wasn't 100% and he's a better fill in along the OL than Reed or Wells, but he has played very solid in his games he has filled in. 

Either way, this OL unit needs to get healthy if we want to go on a run to end the season/hopefully win the division. Parnell being out has been a huge, glaring weakness as he has been the 2nd best OL behind Linder so far this year. Our run game has taken a large hit since he's been out and hopefully we can get him back in the next couple weeks. The Josh Wells experiment has been ugly to say the least.

At this point, I’m not really sure I want to shuffle guys around too much. Cann probably should be the LG, but moving him over there mid-season could be a mess. Just slot Shatley in at LG and then figure things out going forward.

I'm kinda torn between those two ideas.

Gut reaction is what @.Buzz is suggesting there.  Robinson-Cann-Shatley-Linder-Parnell.  On paper, that seems like the best way to get our best group out there in ideal spots.

But @iPwn certainly makes a good point too.  Too much shuffling and lack of continuity isn't optimal, if it can be avoided.  Omameh/Shatley at LG seems like it can work alright, and without moving other guys around much.  Not sure how much with Omameh is not being 100% healthy, vs just being more exposed as not good over time.  He wasn't looking like a huge liability earlier on.

Realistically...it seems like having a truly 100% healthy OLine group across the board all at once, for any extended length of time is a bit of a pipe dream in the NFL these days anyway.  So we probably won't even have to worry much about that scenario, and more just worry about making the most of whatever is healthiest on any given week.

18 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm kinda torn between those two ideas.

Gut reaction is what @.Buzz is suggesting there.  Robinson-Cann-Shatley-Linder-Parnell.  On paper, that seems like the best way to get our best group out there in ideal spots.

But @iPwn certainly makes a good point too.  Too much shuffling and lack of continuity isn't optimal, if it can be avoided.  Omameh/Shatley at LG seems like it can work alright, and without moving other guys around much.  Not sure how much with Omameh is not being 100% healthy, vs just being more exposed as not good over time.  He wasn't looking like a huge liability earlier on.

Realistically...it seems like having a truly 100% healthy OLine group across the board all at once, for any extended length of time is a bit of a pipe dream in the NFL these days anyway.  So we probably won't even have to worry much about that scenario, and more just worry about making the most of whatever is healthiest on any given week.

To be fair though, Linder played RG with Shatley at C a few games back and it worked very, very well. Moving Cann off RG to the other side would be a big move though for sure and certainly may carry risk.

Either way, I'd be ok with Shatley filling in at LG, but it seems to me they like the idea of having him as an insurance option for any of the 3 spots. Starting Reed over him at LG showed that in it's entirety imo, becuase there is no reason for it to happen otherwise.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

To be fair though, Linder played RG with Shatley at C a few games back and it worked very, very well. Moving Cann off RG to the other side would be a big move though for sure and certainly may carry risk.

Either way, I'd be ok with Shatley filling in at LG, but it seems to me they like the idea of having him as an insurance option for any of the 3 spots. Starting Reed over him at LG showed that in it's entirety imo, becuase there is no reason for it to happen otherwise.

Yeah.  I don't like the idea of not getting Shatley out there in favour of keeping him "in reserve".  Don't really get that.  Seems like he's probably one of our 5 or 6 best OLinemen.  Get him out there.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I don't like the idea of not getting Shatley out there in favour of keeping him "in reserve".  Don't really get that.  Seems like he's probably one of our 5 or 6 best OLinemen.  Get him out there.

It really doesn’t make any sense.

If someone else gets hurt on the interior, you’re going to have Reed and Shatley both out there. Might as well have the better player out there for all the snaps. 

Archived