BDL 2022 Week 6 - Hungary Hippos @ Lancaster Werewolves

RuskieTitan

Who Wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Hungary Hippos
    • Lancaster Werewolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/20/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 6

Match:  Hungary Hippos @ Lancaster Werewolves

Away Owner:  @PR

Home Owner:  @rackcs

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Hungary Hippos

QB: Geno Smith

RB: Joe Mixon

WR: DK Metcalf

WR: Tyler Lockett

WR: Adam Thielen

TE: TJ Hockenson

LT: Duane Brown

LG: Brady Christensen

😄 Tyler Linderbaum

RG: Andrus Peat

RT: Trent Brown

RB: James Robinson

RB: Brian Robinson

RB: Rachaad White

WR: Darius Slayton

WR: Marquise Goodwin

TE: Daniel Bellinger

TE: Ian Thomas

OL Charles Leno

Edge: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: DaVon Hamilton

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

Edge: Carlos Dunlap

LB: Shaq Thompson

LB: Logan Wilson

CB: Casey Heyward Jr.

FS: Harrison Smith

SS: Chuck Clark

S3: AJ Parker

CB: Roger McCreary

Edge: Charles Harris

Edge: Trey Flowers

DT: Armon Watts

DT: Nick Williams

LB: Denzel Perryman

CB: Amani Oruwariye

CB/S: Lonnie Johnson

S: Kareem Jackson

Lancaster Werewolves

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: AJ Dillon
RB: Miles Sanders
WR: Michael Pittman Jr.
WR: Diontae Johnson
TE: Mike Gesicki
LT: Braxton Jones
LG: Quenton Nelson
C : Ted Karras
RG: Robert Hunt
RT: La’el Collins

QB: Trevor Lawrence
RB: Leonard Fournette
WR: Quez Watkins
WR: Kyle Philips
WR: Skyy Moore
TE: Chigoziem Okonkwo
OL: Evan Brown
OL: Evan Neal

DE: Bud Dupree
DT: Kenny Clark
DT: Justin Madubuike
DE: John Franklin-Myers
LB: Fred Warner
LB: Bobby Wagner
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Dane Jackson
FS: Darrick Forrest
SS: Jonathan Abram

EDGE: Arden Key
EDGE: Julian Okwara
INT: Tedarrell Slaton
INT: Eyioma Uwazurike
LB: Malcolm Rodriguez
LB: Willie Gay Jr.
CB: K’Waun Williams
CB: Kindle Vildor

Hungary Hippos

Offense:  

Hold my beer Dak, Geno’s here. 

HydroGeno has been making it rain in recent weeks on unsuspecting defenses. Over his last three games he has had three straight multi-touchdown games through the air and even proved that even at the ripe age of 32 he still has his running legs and has picked up over 30 yards a game and touch down to boot. He is a double threat that coaches keep on not respecting. 

Lancaster has had it rough in recent weeks. Fitzpatrick is gone. Ryan is gone. They are down to Abram who is an in the box run stuffer and terrible in pass coverage and Washington reserve Forrest. There is no more next men up for that secondary. In recent weeks Lancaster has employed Abram as a TE cover LBer. We look to take advantage of that heavily this week. When Abram tries to cover Hock, we will be tossing to him frequently in the open. The fact that Abram plays in the box most plays also makes it fun when I flex Hock out into the open field. We will truly test how much Abram can truly take before Lancaster tries to switch things up. 

At the CB level, we have one clear advantage against Lancaster’s group of CBs. Height. 

DK Metcalf - 6’4

Adam Thielen - 6’2

Tyler Lockett - 5’10

Jalen Ramsey - 6’1

Dane Jackson - 5’11

Jaire Alexander - 5’10

So this week between the lack of quality pass cover safeties and a height advantage with my trio of receivers, I look to pick apart Lancaster’s secondary with Geno’s League High 75% passing completion percentage. Look for crossing routes galore. Look for a lot of deep looks down the field with speed threats Lockett and DK. Look for Thielen to constantly move the chains as he catches the ball in traffic above the oompa-loompa club. And if Lancaster tries to send the blitz, Geno can run out of trouble and pick up the first down instead. If Lancaster tries to put a QB spy on Geno the entire game, he will be running a lot of attempts because that strategy fails at both college and professional level. 

As we like this starting trio of receivers to be on the field for the majority of the game, we will not change our look and we will play hurry up to keep Lancaster’s defense on. Make them waste their time outs trying to get players off the field because we will not be stopping to take a breath out here. 

The running game will take a back seat this week in the offensive strategy. We will still alternate drives between Mixon and Robinson, if a drive begins in the two minute drill White will come in as an additional receiving back on offense. We will throw in a run every once in awhile to keep Lancaster honest and keep Abram in the box. Runs will be to the inside and the outside using our TE as an additional blocker. 

Defense:

Lancaster's offensive playmakers are vastly underwhelming through 5 weeks. Pittman and Johnson barely have 200 yards each to their names through 5 weeks. Gesicki has 100. This could be a testament to QB play but it also shows that they themselves can't singlehandedly make an average QB better, and that's what we have here with Jalen Hurts. Through 5 games the guy has 4 TDs through the air 3 coming in one game. He has nearly as many INTs (2) as he does TDs. He relies solely on his defense and running game to keep him in games. He is the epitome of a gane manager.

Thus, we are playing this exactly the same way as we did last week except the exotic blitzes will be more frequent towards the RT side of the field because as Camden pointed out last week, rolling out left efficiently is not in his bag of tricks. 

Key Points:

Stuff the run

Blitz the QB

Jam the WRs

We will be sticking mainly with a Press-Man Defense. Against 3WR Parker will man the slot. Smith will move up in the box against the run. We will play the run with gap control and outside contain with our LBing duo. 

With the extra helmets in the box, we will also be deploying a number of exotic blitzes. These will be coming from the LB, S, and CB level in addition to the four man line. When the slot blitzes, the safety will cover in pass defense.  The additional pressure on Hurts will force errant throws which will further neuter Lancaster's offense. To let the blitzes hit home we will be jamming the receivers at the line delaying Hurts' throw and forcing him to either run into my LBing duo/safety or get dropped behind the line.

Hayward and McCreary will be playing the outside receivers in 3 wide while Parker covers the slot. When in two TE or two RB, Jackson will come on the field for better coverage ability. Clark will play back for the long throw if Hurts manages to find time in the pocket despite the exotic blitzes. Smith will have Gesicki coverage and try to limit his YAC. Shaq and Wilson will alternate coverage on the RB and situationally will cover Gesicki when Smith is blitzing.

Lancaster Werewolves

Lancaster Offensive Strategy:

On offense we’re going to go run heavy once again this week with our split-back package. Miles Sanders and AJ Dillon will start but Leonard Fournette will get worked in plenty to give them both some rest. We’re going to run mainly out of our base personnel package for the majority of the game with some substitutions and formation mix-ups as the game goes on. We want to hit them with a lot of different looks out of the same package so that they can’t guess what we’re doing. We’re going to run in and outside, we’ll do read-option and designed runs as well to get Hurts involved in the ground game. We think we can have success doing this against a decent, but not strong front seven for Hungary.

In the passing game we also see favorable matchups against decent corners. We’ll be using a lot of play action and RPO looks to give our wide receivers more room to operate. We want to focus on quick game short and intermediate looks with the occasional explosive deep play dialed in. The main deviation from our main formation will be bringing in extra wide receivers. With Cam Sutton out this week, we like the idea of putting out more wide receivers to get Amani Oruwariye onto the field. Finally we will also be splitting Mike Gesicki and/or a running back out into the slot to get extra receiving options and help Jalen Hurts identify coverages.

Lancaster Defensive Strategy:

This is a Hungary squad with some weapons and a QB in Geno Smith who has been playing well. Our focus this week is on tight coverage against the wide receiver options.Jalen Ramsey will cover DK Metcalf, Jaire Alexander will cover Tyler Lockett, and Dane Jackson will cover Adam Thielen. Bobby Wagner will key on the running back, covering him out of the backfield if they run a route. Jonathan Abram will be playing in the box again and covering Hockenson. Darrick Forrest will be playing a deep coverage shaded towards DK Metcalf. Fred Warner has been outstanding this season and so we’re going to again allow him to play a jack of all trades role. He’ll mainly be erasing the middle of the field but occasionally he will blitz or double cover Hockenson as well.

For our defensive line, once again our key will be rotations and pressure up the middle. We think Kenny Clark and Justin Madubuike can get good pressure up the middle, especially with JFM and occasionally Arden Key operating from the interior defensive line. Our EDGEs will primarily be tasked with containing the edge against outside rushes. We will use a heavy rotation to keep our guys fresh and locked in against a decent Hungary OL.

31 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

I see what the 2 above are saying but I think the difference is Lancaster's D is able to make an extra stop in coverage.

I disagree because of three factors:

1. Height discrepancy

2. They put a run D safety that is a liability in coverage on Hockenson. 

3. Their actual cover safety for deep coverage in Fitzpatrick is injured so they are play a reserve. 

5 minutes ago, PR said:

1. Height discrepancy

3. Their actual cover safety for deep coverage in Fitzpatrick is injured so they are play a reserve. 

I'm fine with the reserve that's in and his LBs. It's a tight game. I just think they can make enough of a difference when compared to your D vs his O. Just enough.

23 minutes ago, PR said:

1. Height discrepancy

Sure there's a height discrepancy but it's not like Jaire Alexander or Jalen Ramsey haven't covered dudes taller than them before. They do it all the time and they're still shutdown players. And Forrest may not have started every game for Washington this year but he's got the second most snaps of any safety on the team, he plays a lot of snaps and isn't a pure backup. He's been playing well. Obviously a step down from Minkah but certainly not a liability.

PR stating Forrest is a backup while simultaneously starting the Lions 5th CB at safety is pretty hilarious and he also has the biggest height differntial with the 6'4 pittman against either of his 5'11 corners

On the other side, I'm still perplexed why Rack is using Abram in coverage instead of a LB and just having Abram patrol the middle of the field.  Thats a pretty nice advantage for Hungary with Hockenson.  Bud Dupree also didn't play week 5 and with the bye week 6, he would be inactive here which leads Arden Key as the only other Edge that plays meaningful snaps IRL

Both offenses has some success hitting big plays as the blitz heavy strategy leaves Hungary veulnerable on the back end and while the Lancaster WR haven't been awesome, neither have the Hungary corners.  I understand he needs to blitz to generate pressure however with a lackluster dline

Conversely, Geno should hit a big play or two with the lack of edge rush, Lancaster has a huge advantage up the middle of their d however up front.  

In the end, I think Lancaster just pulls this one out on a big scramble by Hurts against a secondary with their back turned to him after escaping the blitz for a game winning FG at home.  Hungary racks up some drive killing sacks for sure but I think there is more progress there for FG central and the Lancaster interior gets enough pressure to stop the deep shots from consistently hitting against two excellent boundary corners.  Theilan and Hock have nice games but in the end, not enough

Lancaster 19-17

18 minutes ago, PR said:

I respectfully disagree with the results of this match thus far due to the fact I believe wholeheartedly that my offense is hands down better than Lancaster, however, GG @rackcs

I'd agree with this.  However, I wholeheartedly believe his defense is hands down better than yours .  Was definitely a tough call

• Like 1