Week 7 Thread: "That what you're looking for has been here the whole time" - Taylor Heinicke-Swift - GB @ WSH

MikeT14

One thing I found pretty impressive was the run on the last set of downs for us where Robinson followed Alex Armah as the lead blocker. That opened up nicely, and I wonder if they’ll try to do some more with that as they go forward. 

If nothing else, running him behind a lead blocker might help protect him from those penetrating defenders that get to him or knock him off course before he gets started. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

One thing I found pretty impressive was the run on the last set of downs for us where Robinson followed Alex Armah as the lead blocker. That opened up nicely, and I wonder if they’ll try to do some more with that as they go forward. 

If nothing else, running him behind a lead blocker might help protect him from those penetrating defenders that get to him or knock him off course before he gets started. 

You’d think they might try it on the next play as London Fletcher said they should’ve done on the radio. Fletcher was hot man! Steamed!! He said we need to go back to that until they stop it. Instead, they spread out w/ WRs on the next play & the run went no where. He said what we all think, when you have a play that works that well & you’re trying run out clock at the end of the game, run it until the D stops it.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

As one of the most stubborn defenders of Antonio Gibson and Jamin Davis, it was a fine day for me. I’m fully aware that soon I’m going to start hearing the masses saying that Gibson is great now that he isn’t the starter and it’s cool to think he’s a breath of fresh air. He’s clearly the more explosive player between he and Robinson, who runs like a diesel truck. It was hard to watch him get chased down by multiple DL (including Kenny Clark!) because it takes him forever to get going. Jamin continues to improve and was actually a weapon at times against the run game from what I saw. He’s already been very good in terms of dealing with opposing RBs coming out of the backfield, this is the needed next step.

This! All day! I felt the same way and had a post about how BRob hasn’t averaged over 4 ypc yet, Gibby had 155 All-Purpose yards & 1 TD yesterday! 10 carries, 59 yards rushing. 3 recs, 18 yards & a TD & 3 kick off returns for 78 yards.

And yes, as we had hoped as Jamin played more and got acclimated more to the league that he would play better at OLB. He is fast and athletic. Holcomb, Bostic & Mayo must be helping him on the film room bc he’s prepared and is playing well.

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’d think they might try it on the next play as London Fletcher said they should’ve done on the radio. Fletcher was hot man! Steamed!! He said we need to go back to that until they stop it. Instead, they spread out w/ WRs on the next play & the run went no where. He said what we all think, when you have a play that works that well & you’re trying run out clock at the end of the game, run it until the D stops it.

I mean, that's what we used to do in the '80s.

Grimm looking at Randy White across the LOS in the NFCCG

"We're coming right at you Randy!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just got a chance to watch it. 

Defense has been legit since they benched WJ3. Hard to blame it on one guy, but…

As one of the most stubborn defenders of Antonio Gibson and Jamin Davis, it was a fine day for me. I’m fully aware that soon I’m going to start hearing the masses saying that Gibson is great now that he isn’t the starter and it’s cool to think he’s a breath of fresh air. He’s clearly the more explosive player between he and Robinson, who runs like a diesel truck. It was hard to watch him get chased down by multiple DL (including Kenny Clark!) because it takes him forever to get going. Jamin continues to improve and was actually a weapon at times against the run game from what I saw. He’s already been very good in terms of dealing with opposing RBs coming out of the backfield, this is the needed next step.

Heinicke was a pretty big yuck for most of the game, I thought, but he threw a real dime to Terry for the TD. He certainly can get hot and string together some plays, and it’s fun when that’s happening.

Others have mentioned, but it just has to be reiterated over and over again, the thing Wentz failed at most here was finding ways to force the ball to Terry McLaurin. That dude is just awesome. He ate Jaire’s lunch over and over when we needed it. Throw him the damn ball. That should be option 1 on basically every passing play.

And finally, just to throw a little ice water on another fan (and E) favorite, Tress was a beast, but…what the hell was that awful pooch punt with 30 seconds to go? I need better than pinning them at the 18 yard line. I need Finesse Tress, not just Bomber Tress.

I'm not a Gibson hater by any stretch. I think my 2 problems with Gibby is the fumbling and our seeming inability to get tough yards with him in there. The latter part is just my eyeball test rather than actually looking at #'s so I'll fully concede that I'm wrong if it turns out that way. I think Robinson is a plodder compared to Gibson and I think Gibson is the better athlete/RB and it was good to see him get back to having one of the great games that we've seen him have. I think we have an effective 1-2 punch with him and Robinson though. But unless Robinson shows something else, I guarantee you that we're looking for his replacement within the next 2 years.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed is Heinecke's arm seemed stronger. He was about 10 yards behind the LOS and delivered the strike to Mclaurin in the Endzone and that ball travelled almost 50 yards in the air. On target. No jump ball floater either. It was the kind of throw I expected out the stronger armed Wentz TBQH.

Too early to know if he's gotten stronger in these throws, but he seems to do quite well when he gets his feet set.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not a Gibson hater by any stretch. I think my 2 problems with Gibby is the fumbling and our seeming inability to get tough yards with him in there. The latter part is just my eyeball test rather than actually looking at #'s so I'll fully concede that I'm wrong if it turns out that way. I think Robinson is a plodder compared to Gibson and I think Gibson is the better athlete/RB and it was good to see him get back to having one of the great games that we've seen him have. I think we have an effective 1-2 punch with him and Robinson though. But unless Robinson shows something else, I guarantee you that we're looking for his replacement within the next 2 years.

Yeah, I’m good with that duo for the time being. I assume Robinson is still working his way back into top shape to some degree, and he’s more the type to shoulder a heavy carry burden. I think overloading Gibson was a problem, in the sense that it saps him of that burst that makes him special. Using him as a Kamara type, and Robinson as an Ingram type, seems like the better approach on a lot of levels. 

It’s just that of the two, Kamara is the special player and Ingram is the replaceable piece. Gibson has not looked like he did against GB very often — but if he can continue to play like that, with that burst and chip on his shoulder, he’s the special player of the two. And you have to start thinking about keeping him, which has been unimaginable to most of us at various points recently.

That said, maybe Robinson adds another gear with his legs back under him, and then that changes things. He seems to have better vision and certainly runs with more power. But you hit on the head when you said “plodder.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

One thing I noticed is Heinecke's arm seemed stronger. He was about 10 yards behind the LOS and delivered the strike to Mclaurin in the Endzone and that ball travelled almost 50 yards in the air. On target. No jump ball floater either. It was the kind of throw I expected out the stronger armed Wentz TBQH.

Too early to know if he's gotten stronger in these throws, but he seems to do quite well when he gets his feet set.

He said he worked on that in the off-season. Not sure what he did, or I can’t remember what he said. I think he said something about working on weight transfer and working on his lower body.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

One thing I noticed is Heinecke's arm seemed stronger. 

Really? I mean maybe, but it was marginal in my eyes. The zip difference between the two is pretty staggering. 

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Really? I mean maybe, but it was marginal in my eyes. The zip difference between the two is pretty staggering. 

that's true , but T H kinda makes up for it with quicker decisions. quick release, accuracy ( for the most part ) . He looks like a dart thrower and seems like such a catchable ball. The TD to Terry M was absolute perfection. I keep saying this . Joe Montana didn't have a cannon ! AND at least  ( like Lavar said ) he's  just fun to watch.