Week 7 Thread: "That what you're looking for has been here the whole time" - Taylor Heinicke-Swift - GB @ WSH

MikeT14

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Really? I mean maybe, but it was marginal in my eyes. The zip difference between the two is pretty staggering. 

He threw that TD to Terry as well as you can throw it, and in the past it would often have hung up on him and resulted in a contested play short of the goalline, so that was a positive development.

…but otherwise, I do have to agree with you that I thought the weak arm was still pretty evident at times. The key for him is to be moving forward (or at least have a solid base) when he’s throwing it. If he can do that, it does have that “dart” quality that @RSkinGM mentioned. If he’s off-balance or fading away from the throw, you’re going to get those floaters.

There were two throws to Samuel in the same area of the field (right around the dumb W logo) that exemplify the difference. He really ripped one of those throws into a pretty small window and Samuel had to go up and pull it down. That was probably even a “power dart,” for my money. Then you had the other one, on a 3rd down play where Samuel was basically uncovered, and Taylor absolutely lobbed a lollipop to him. Samuel still had time to make a play after the catch and get the first down, but it felt like years ticking off all our lives for that ball to gently float down into his arms. 

I think he’s still around where he was, which is fringy NFL arm strength. I liked seeing a little bonus zip on some throws — credit to him for putting in some work there — but for the most part, I think we’re talking about a guy who has just enough arm to make most NFL throws. But only just barely, and only if he’s on a workable base that helps him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Also I think it should be stated that this was Jamin Davis's best game as a professional. There were quite a few times that I was impressed with his gap fill/read and react performances. He definitely showed potential from this game.

and,,,... picking up backs sneaking out of the backfield. he closed on them fast 

• Like 2

Except for the bad challenge by R R costing us a timeout and Wentz interception, we could be looking at a 3 game winning streak and a respectable 4-3 record. Damn woulda, coulda, shoulda. 

On the other hand - probably shoulda lost the Bears game . Guess things even out . 

On 10/25/2022 at 8:16 AM, MikeT14 said:

Really? I mean maybe, but it was marginal in my eyes. The zip difference between the two is pretty staggering. 

Don't get me wrong. Wentz still has the stronger arm. But just my eyeball on the throws tells me he's not floating balls like he used to. They still take longer to get there than if it was from Carson. Just think he's gotten stronger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Except for the bad challenge by R R costing us a timeout and Wentz interception, we could be looking at a 3 game winning streak and a respectable 4-3 record. Damn woulda, coulda, shoulda. 

On the other hand - probably shoulda lost the Bears game . Guess things even out . 

Just take the dubs when you get ‘em. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:45 PM, e16bball said:

Yeah, I’m good with that duo for the time being. I assume Robinson is still working his way back into top shape to some degree, and he’s more the type to shoulder a heavy carry burden. I think overloading Gibson was a problem, in the sense that it saps him of that burst that makes him special. Using him as a Kamara type, and Robinson as an Ingram type, seems like the better approach on a lot of levels. 

It’s just that of the two, Kamara is the special player and Ingram is the replaceable piece. Gibson has not looked like he did against GB very often — but if he can continue to play like that, with that burst and chip on his shoulder, he’s the special player of the two. And you have to start thinking about keeping him, which has been unimaginable to most of us at various points recently.

That said, maybe Robinson adds another gear with his legs back under him, and then that changes things. He seems to have better vision and certainly runs with more power. But you hit on the head when you said “plodder.”

This is basically how I saw Robinson working out when we drafted him and why I didn't like spending a 3rd. Will get you what's there good vision and can drag defenders but won't do anything special. I do have some optimism that he is still working himself back to top form from the gunshot because I have to admit he looked more explosive in the pre season than I was expecting.

• Like 1