Week 7: Vikings vs Bye Week

SteelKing728

After 6 games, I want to know:

1. Who is our MVP so far this season?

2. Are the Vikings contenders or pretenders at 5-1?

3. What strengths and weaknesses do you see on the offense?

4. What strengths and weaknesses do you see on the defense?

5. Should we try to make any in season moves before the trade deadline?

Discuss!

44 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Discuss!

1. Our offensive line has been our MVP. They're not killing drives. They're keeping Kirk relatively clean. They haven't had a single holding penalty, and they've only allowed 11 sacks (2 teams allowd 7, 5 allowed 9, 1 allowed 10, 4 allowed 11). The best part is that they're still coming together. If you're looking for one person as our MVP, it's Jefferson. He disappeared in a couple of games, but that's going to happen with teams giving him so much attention. He opens things up for KJ, Adam and Irv.

2. Somewhere in between. The NFC is weak this year. Philadelphia looks like the best team, but I still think Hurts is a liability for them. They've beaten the Lions, Vikings, Commanders, Jaguars, Cardinals and Cowboys. Not really a murders row. The schedule continues to look favorable to them, but they aren't the '72 Dolphins. The Rams, 49ers, Seahawks, Bucs, Giants, Cowboys and Packers all have major flaws. There's no reason that the Vikings can't take the #2 seed, and even the #1 seed if Philly slips. They'll be a tough out at home, and they have the offensive talent to win a shootout on the road. BUT, they haven't been dominant since Week 1. They've gotten some good luck, but good teams do find ways to win those games. There are absolutely flaws, but they are 5-1 at the bye and hold a win over Green Bay. That sets them up very well the rest of the way. 

3. Justin Jefferson and Kirk Cousins are our strengths. They're 5-1 and Kirk has just been average. He's still been pretty clutch and hasn't made a ton of terrible plays. We know he's capable of playing better and, if he does, they could really steamroll some teams. Jefferson is sometimes uncoverable. He opens things up for everyone else. The offensive line is getting better. They may not be a strength yet, but they're no longer the liability we were used to. If I was going to point to a weakness on offense, it's the running game. Dalvin doesn't look comfortable out there. They haven't been able to grind out games like we've seen in the past. 

4. Za'Darius Smith has been the defensive MVP. The team has found a way to be respectable against the run, but a large part of that may be because we've been so weak against the pass. We have found a decent pass rush, but our secondary is prone to getting burned. 

5. I'd like to see them upgrade Sullivan and Bullard by the deadline, but we just don't have the cap space to do so. Hopefully, between PP7, Dantzler, and Booth (staying healthy) we can cobble together an improved secondary. 

• Like 1

Not going to pick a position group, if has to be one player maybe Darrrisaw. 

They are the favorite to win the NFC North but they’ve got to get better offensively to keep pace with teams like the Eagles. I don’t see the defense really improving, we’re relying heavily on vets and holdovers so I don’t have high hopes. 

Offense stalls out far too often and we seem to reliant on kicking field goals. Every game is close because we can’t put teams away. 

Strengths are the WRs and OL. 

Weakness is coverage and really a lack of a real presence up front.

I like what I’ve seen from Smith, Kendricks, Hicks and the Safeties. 

Maybe a CB but that’s it.

• Like 1

1. Who is our MVP so far this season?

-Justin Jefferson. Our offense runs through him, and he's still a top 3 WR. He's a game changer and opens up so many things for us.

-The Schedule Is decently tough, but our division is a trainwreck. I'll say definite contenders to make the playoffs.

-Strength is WRs and OL

Weakness is TE

Strength is Edge and Safety

Weakness is DL minus Tomlinson

Replace Bullard/Blacklock immediately.

1. MVP is Kevin O'Connell. The game management, in-game adjustments, and discipline/fundamentals have taken a team with the ability to compete with anyone on any given Sunday and given it the opportunity to win any given Sunday. I was a pretty staunch Zimmer supporter last year, and was down on the O'Connell hire initially, but I'm very happy to be surprised so far.

2. Vikings will win the division, and the NFC looks pedestrian for the most part, so I think they've got at least as good a chance to win some playoff games as any.

3. Offensive strength is the OL. Jefferson is great, but Kirk's struggles so far are being propped up by an OL that is protecting him. I can't even imagine trying to run this offense with Dozier or Udoh and the rookie version of Darrisaw. Offensive weakness has been getting up to speed on the offensive scheme. It just seems that there are stretches of games where everything looks out of sync. Maybe a by-product of not really playing at tempo in the preseason.

4. Defensive strength has been Tomlinson. He's making everyone's job easier and consistently doing the dirty work. The edge rotation has been a nice surprise, too. Seeing Wonnum thrive in a 3-4 when he was inflating stats with coverage sacks last year is a nice development. The weakness has been Jordan Hicks. I liked the signing initially, but he's slow, bad in coverage, and seems to take some plays off that result in other teams chewing up the middle of the field. Most of the big seam plays happen to be when Hicks is beaten or out of position

5. I'm an advocate for manipulating contracts and making room for a difference maker. This season, the race is as wide open as it has been, and it seems like there are going to be a lot of potential sellers. Making a move for a difference maker at TE or WR on offense, or a NT or slot CB might push this team to another level, and you don't always get that opportunity.

** Shout out to the special teams units and Kwesi. Outside of some missed kicks, the coverage units and the return group has done a pretty nice job. Keeping Wright, bringing in Reagor, and hiring Matt Daniels seems to have fixed a group that was constantly blowing games for the previous regime.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

1. MVP is Kevin O'Connell. The game management, in-game adjustments, and discipline/fundamentals have taken a team with the ability to compete with anyone on any given Sunday and given it the opportunity to win any given Sunday. I was a pretty staunch Zimmer supporter last year, and was down on the O'Connell hire initially, but I'm very happy to be surprised so far.

2. Vikings will win the division, and the NFC looks pedestrian for the most part, so I think they've got at least as good a chance to win some playoff games as any.

3. Offensive strength is the OL. Jefferson is great, but Kirk's struggles so far are being propped up by an OL that is protecting him. I can't even imagine trying to run this offense with Dozier or Udoh and the rookie version of Darrisaw. Offensive weakness has been getting up to speed on the offensive scheme. It just seems that there are stretches of games where everything looks out of sync. Maybe a by-product of not really playing at tempo in the preseason.

4. Defensive strength has been Tomlinson. He's making everyone's job easier and consistently doing the dirty work. The edge rotation has been a nice surprise, too. Seeing Wonnum thrive in a 3-4 when he was inflating stats with coverage sacks last year is a nice development. The weakness has been Jordan Hicks. I liked the signing initially, but he's slow, bad in coverage, and seems to take some plays off that result in other teams chewing up the middle of the field. Most of the big seam plays happen to be when Hicks is beaten or out of position

5. I'm an advocate for manipulating contracts and making room for a difference maker. This season, the race is as wide open as it has been, and it seems like there are going to be a lot of potential sellers. Making a move for a difference maker at TE or WR on offense, or a NT or slot CB might push this team to another level, and you don't always get that opportunity.

** Shout out to the special teams units and Kwesi. Outside of some missed kicks, the coverage units and the return group has done a pretty nice job. Keeping Wright, bringing in Reagor, and hiring Matt Daniels seems to have fixed a group that was constantly blowing games for the previous regime.

I agree on number 5. I was just taking a too long shower trying to figure out what they could do.....and DL, TE, and CB trades make sense. They are a good, but flawed team. The NFC (other than Philly) is there for the taking. Incremental improvement could pay large dividends for a team like them. 

• Like 1

I have no idea if any of the really bad teams have players at those positions........but I'm partial to one of MN starters and a mid round pick for a better starter. Say, Irv Smith and a 4th for Zach Ertz (not happening, but something like that, and I'm not sure I'd do that given Ertz's age, but I probably would, that's just an example of the kind of thing teams could do more of, on both sides of the deal).

I hope that Jalen Raegor and Ross Blacklock really get up to speed with the playbook in the bye week.

Outside of JJ and Cook we're really lacking explosion so if KOC can get Raegor more playing time and playing well I'd love that.

on Defense if Donatell is set on only rushing 4 and playing soft zone an interior pass rush from Blacklock would really compliment our stacked edge rush

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Discuss!

Offense - Justin Jefferson (HM Darrisaw)

Defense - Z Smith (HM Harrison Smith)

I'd say somewhere in-between. We're a playoff team that could make some noise but still as step below Philly, KC and Buffalo.

Offense

strengths - Star players

Weaknesses - The guys aren't up to speed with the scheme yet & inconsistent play calling from KOC

Defense 

Strengths - Edge rush

Weakness - Scheme

No moves before the deadline 

• Like 1

Minnesota’s next two games are against the Arizona Cardinals and Washington Commanders. Both teams announced news on Monday that could drastically change how their offenses look against the Vikings.

For the Cardinals, they undergo multiple changes this week. First and foremost, star receiver DeAndre Hopkins returns from his six-game suspension in Week 7 and should play his second game of the season against the Vikings. This return cannot be overstated. He’s recorded 1000 receiving yards in six of the past eight seasons and is a three-time All-Pro for a reason. However, that’s not the only difference in the Cardinals receiver room ahead of the Week 8 game against Minnesota. On Monday morning, Arizona made a trade to acquire wide receiver Robbie Anderson from the Carolina Panthers. This move became even more important after Ian Rapoport also announced that Marquise Brown suffered a foot injury that will keep him sidelined for six weeks.

On Thursday night, Washington Commanders QB Carson Wentz fractured his ring finger on his throwing hand against the Chicago Bears. He stayed in the game following the injury, but it seems that the starting Commanders QB is headed for a stint on the IR. Obviously, this season has not been particularly great for the Commanders or their new starting quarterback. Washington is 2-4 in the basement of the NFC East, and Wentz has passed for 1489 yards, 10 TDs, and 6 INTs along the way. With the injury, it appears that the Vikings could be set to face Taylor Heinicke when they take on the Commanders in Washington on November 6th. 

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/top_news/the-next-vikings-opponents-will-look-different?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook