Trade Deadline Discussion

RaidersAreOne

37 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

When were the picks? 2024, 2025?

I wouldn't of either.

I wouldve. You think the Panthers wont still be rebuilding by then? At the rate the Rams are going, they will be back to rebuilding by then. Get those futures and cash in IMO

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

My bigger issue is the player. He’s got potential to be much better than he is, but is anyone mistaking him for an elite or even high end (think Matt Judon, Trey Hendrickson area) rusher? You hope he becomes that, sure. But that’s a $20M+/year contract and two FRPs you’re losing.

Like I said I see both sides.  I’d likely take the deal TBH.  The chances it could be a top 10 pick either year makes it worth doing alone.   

But I also don’t worry about stuff like job security lol.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, technically can’t rule that out, but doubtful. Cleveland turning a blind eye to a situation’s like Watson and some team turning a blind eye to a situation like Hunt’s, are vastly different. Hunt’s situation wasn’t even DV, it was just labeled that way for some reason. 

I dont think the Browns didnt want to to trade Hunt. I definitely think they tried and listened to offers. From my understanding, they wanted a 4th and wouldnt budge--and there were no takers. I think it was a situation of other teams trying to low ball the Browns knowing he is on a expiring contract but the Browns wouldnt just roll over and take scraps for him when they could simply keep Hunt for themselves and get a 4th-5th round comp pick out of him.

Either way, it was pretty widely reported that he was very available and a 4th was the asking price. Your telling me the Bills would rather trade a 6th for Hines and the Dolphins a 5th for Jeff Wilson but they wouldnt trade a 4th for Kareem Hunt when your trying to go 'all-in' and win now? What?

Edited by AkronsWitness

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think the Browns didnt want to to trade Hunt. I definitely think they tried and listened to offers. From my understanding, they wanted a 4th and wouldnt budge--and there were no takers. I think it was a situation of other teams trying to low ball the Browns knowing he is on a expiring contract but the Browns wouldnt just roll over and take scraps for him when they could simply keep Hunt for themselves and get a 4th-5th round comp pick out of him.

Either way, it was pretty widely reported that he was very available and a 4th was the asking price. Your telling me the Bills would rather trade a 6th for Hines and the Dolphins a 5th for Jeff Wilson but they wouldnt trade a 4th for Kareem Hunt when your trying to go 'all-in' and win now? What?

Probably for 3 reasons I can see:

1.   The Bills accepted the trade with 15 mins to go.   They likely decided to play "sheriff" and take the only RB left who had a serious chance of being dealt off the market.  IND was dead set on dealing Hines, thus the low price.   BUF may have simply been looking to keep Hines from going elsewhere, while still improving their pass RB game.

2.   That last part is the rub football-wise - the Bills were looking to upgrade the pass portion of their RB game.   No doubt Hunt does that too - but Hines is a lot cheaper.   Now, for a contender, maybe you say....not good enough reason-wise.  But lastly...

3.  After the Matt Araiza PR nightmare - perhaps GM Beane put Hunt on the no-trade list.    To say BUF took a PR beating was an understatement.   Can easily see the BUF FO going "no thanks" on K-Hunt.

Edited by Broncofan

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That price point probably didn't help considering the Rams don't have one this year and were probably the team that most desperately wanted a difference maker at running back. Wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland wouldn't take a future 4 for him and were asking for a third instead from LA and the Rams were balking 

54 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not me. I’d have taken Hunt in a heartbeat.

51 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Browns made a stupid decision if a team was willing to offer something approaching 4th round value.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

That price point probably didn't help considering the Rams don't have one this year and were probably the team that most desperately wanted a difference maker at running back. Wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland wouldn't take a future 4 for him and were asking for a third instead from LA and the Rams were balking 

Its strange. There might be something else we were missing but they probably wanted that pick to be next year to help replace the Watson draft picks they lost. They dont have a 1st or 3rd next year from Watson deal. So that probably put a bit more emphasis on the pick being in next years draft. They also probably saw Jeff Wilson get traded for a 5th and said "on second thought, make that a 2nd rounder''

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not me. I’d have taken Hunt in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Taking a 28 y/o former rushing champion in his prime with very low miles I feel like should have been a bit more of a priority for some of those all-in teams.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Browns made a stupid decision if a team was willing to offer something approaching 4th round value.

I disagree. Why give him away for what you are going to receive anyways in a comp pick by keeping him? Your getting no value and giving him away for free at that point. Trade him for a 5th or keep him for the second half of the season and get a 5th round comp pick...hmm. Thats probably why they were asking for a 4th, because it was 1 round higher than his projected comp pick.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I disagree. Why give him away for what you are going to receive anyways in a comp pick by keeping him? Your getting no value and giving him away for free at that point. Trade him for a 5th or keep him for the second half of the season and get a 5th round comp pick...hmm. Thats probably why they were asking for a 4th, because it was 1 round higher than his projected comp pick.

To get a 4th round comp pick (which will be at the end of the round), he'd likely have to land a contract worth at least $10 million per year, and you couldn't sign any FAs who cancel it out. For a 5th round comp pick, he'd likely need a contract worth at least $7 million per year. A 5th round comp pick seems doable if you don't sign anybody that cancels him out, but that's a comp pick that doesn't come to you until 2024 and is at the END of the 5th round. 

Basically, you aren't guaranteed to land a comp pick for Hunt unless your team isn't going to be active in FA. Even if you do land a comp pick, you won't get it until the 2024 NFL Draft. And the comp pick will be at the end of the round. For example, if the Rams offered a 2024 4th and a 2023 6th, you'd be getting a pick in 2024 guaranteed to be higher than a 4th round comp pick (if Hunt by some miracle got a contract big enough to land a 4th) along with an additional pick in this year's class and could sign FAs without worrying about cancelling out your comp pick.

Of course, the downside is that you lose Hunt's production as your #2 HB. But because the Browns already have D'Ernest Johnson, I don't think that's a huge deal. And if there was any concern about HB depth, the Rams probably could have thrown in Cam Akers. (This is assuming the Rams were interested in Hunt.)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Almost 65% catch rate isn't "sure handed"? Its similar to Antonio Gates and George Kittle.

Catch rate is influenced a lot more by depth/quality of targets rather than how good someone's hands are.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1