Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

Texans competed Thomas Brown and Ejiro Evero today with I believe just Demeco being last on Thursday? As much as I want Demeco, I think it's Sean Payton getting the job with the Texans getting creative in their compensation. A 2024 1st going to NO and maybe a 2nd this year. 

The ability to select his own QB, no clear power struggle at the top, young talent and cap space should be the driving factor. 

Edit: They still have to interview Kafka from the Giants.

Edited by Blaze

36 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Texans competed Thomas Brown and Ejiro Evero today with I believe just Demeco being last on Thursday? As much as I want Demeco, I think it's Sean Payton getting the job with the Texans getting creative in their compensation. A 2024 1st going to NO and maybe a 2nd this year. 

The ability to select his own QB, no clear power struggle at the top, young talent and cap space should be the driving factor. 

Don’t know what to make of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Don’t know what to make of this.

I think it was the equivalent of meeting with a recruiter - discussing goals and aims, seeing if there’s mutual interest between both parties, discussing salary requirements, etc. Payton and the Texans might have had casual interest, but I doubt it went beyond that.

44 minutes ago, Blaze said:

While there are a lot of pluses in Houston, the one big minus is that this team is probably capped at 7-8 wins next year, even with a new QB with a much more rounded skill set than Davis Mills (Young… or Stroud). Even at their best, you’re not in playoff contention until 2024 - Sean Payton wants to walk in and win immediately, which seems best suited for Denver; He’s a guy who can both design and call a game that gets Russ back to his Seattle days; Pair that with a top tier defense with probably the best secondary in football and you have a team that’s looking at 10-12 wins next season. 

I still honestly think it’s Gannon’s job to lose.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don’t think you’re getting Richardson at 12 - I’d say if you’re picking a QB that late, you’re basically hoping you can mold Levis into a talent (you are 100% not molding Levis into anything, btw). 

I’m ok with drafting Young at 2 and giving him a year to build up his frame (he’s not walking out at 225, but getting him to 208-210 isn’t too much to expect). Let Jimmy G be that bridge guy in that spot, I’m comfortable with that.

Ultimately, anything involving Jimmy G is not a splash if it’s him on his lonesome.

I agree Richardson probably won't be there at 12, but I am more than comfortable trading down from 1-2 to acquire more draft capital.  Just have to stay ahead of 1-6 or 1-7.

10 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I agree Richardson probably won't be there at 12, but I am more than comfortable trading down from 1-2 to acquire more draft capital.  Just have to stay ahead of 1-6 or 1-7.

This could just be me (I doubt it, but you never know…) but if the Texans have either Bryce or Stroud at 2… and they choose to move down? I’ll be incredibly frustrated. You have one of the top two QBs sitting there, don’t try to get cute.

Sometimes, the easiest move is the best move. No need to over complicate it for another off ball LB or rotational TE you’ll end up drafting with that extra pick.

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This could just be me (I doubt it, but you never know…) but if the Texans have either Bryce or Stroud at 2… and they choose to move down? I’ll be incredibly frustrated. You have one of the top two QBs sitting there, don’t try to get cute.

Sometimes, the easiest move is the best move. No need to over complicate it for another off ball LB or rotational TE you’ll end up drafting with that extra pick.

Bruler posted a mock with Richardson available at 15. 

I think Bryce or Stroud and I envisionMitch Trubisky.  I remember the Bears moving up for Trubisky from 2 to 1.  Do not want to be the Bears in this scenario.  Don't reach for A QB, just because you need one - find the right QB.

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I think Bryce or Stroud and I envisionMitch Trubisky. 

I’ve heard a lot of comparisons with these two QBs… but I can honestly say this is the first I’ve heard this comparison.

Is it just strictly draft position? Because collegiate careers aren’t even remotely close. Young and Stroud are closer to Joe Burrow/Trevor Lawrence than Mitch Trubisky when you consider collegiate careers.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’ve heard a lot of comparisons with these two QBs… but I can honestly say this is the first I’ve heard this comparison.

Is it just strictly draft position? Because collegiate careers aren’t even remotely close. Young and Stroud are closer to Joe Burrow/Trevor Lawrence than Mitch Trubisky when you consider collegiate careers.

Position & just valuing taking a QB to have one

11 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Position & just valuing taking a QB to have one

At this point, I can’t really convince others of what these two guys are.

Both were consensus top 10 prospects (regardless of position) going into the season, and neither have done anything to warrant falling off this list - you’d be hard pressed to find an expert who doesn’t have these two guys as two of the top 10 players in this draft, so you’re not just “taking a QB” here, you’re drafting a player who is one of the best available in 2023. You’re taking a significantly bigger risk with Anthony Richardson (who couldn’t even beat out Emory Jones until Jones transferred to Arizona). His production and actual game film is far worse than Young/Stroud. If Young/Stroud is Trubisky, then Richardson is Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert…

But… fear is a thing, I guess.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At this point, I can’t really convince others of what these two guys are.

Both were consensus top 10 prospects (regardless of position) going into the season, and neither have done anything to warrant falling off this list - you’d be hard pressed to find an expert who doesn’t have these two guys as two of the top 10 players in this draft, so you’re not just “taking a QB” here, you’re drafting a player who is one of the best available in 2023. You’re taking a significantly bigger risk with Anthony Richardson (who couldn’t even beat out Emory Jones until Jones transferred to Arizona). 

But… fear is a thing, I guess.

I hear you... and where were players like Trubisky, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Daniel Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Jared Goff, PAXTON LYNCH!!, Carson Wentz, et. al. before the NFL draft.   Many talked about as been there, done it.  

QB is incredibly difficult to predict.  I will always go with one with the tools & desire.  Also, being here in FL, there was a LOT of speculation the UF coaches were trying to hold Richardson back, but that just hearsay.

Anyway, I know where I stand and where you stand.  We both want this team to succeed so whoever enables the team to do that... I am cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Stroud was a missed FG away from a national championship 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I hear you... and where were players like Trubisky, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Daniel Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Jared Goff, PAXTON LYNCH!!, Carson Wentz, et. al. before the NFL draft.   Many talked about as been there, done it.  

QB is incredibly difficult to predict.  I will always go with one with the tools & desire.  Also, being here in FL, there was a LOT of speculation the UF coaches were trying to hold Richardson back, but that just hearsay.

Anyway, I know where I stand and where you stand.  We both want this team to succeed so whoever enables the team to do that... I am cool.

Josh Rosen and Jared Goff were considered to 5 going into their last final collegiate seasons. Paxton Lynch was as well and he almost dropped out of the 1st round bc he underperformed and was drafted off of measurables(Levis). 

Everybody Lee on your list were either late risers, or played their way into being an earlier pick during the season. Young and Stroud shouldn’t be grouped with them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

QB is incredibly difficult to predict.

The NFL DRAFT is difficult to predict. Stroud, Young, Richardson have just as much a possibility to bust as Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. What happens if Anderson turns into Clien Ferrell? What if Jalen Carter is the next Solomon Thomas? I ultimately get what you’re saying, but people are choosing against QBs as if these other positions don’t bust. They bust just as much, but it’s not talked about as much because QBs will always get more attention when they fail. 

Now - other side of the coin. What if the QBs at the top completely hit and turn into high level players? How bad does that look on Houston for passing on them, even if the non-QBs drafted do well?