Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

If it’s not Meco, I would prefer Steichen or Kafka. It doesn’t mean it would be the wrong decision, but I feel like Gannon would be the least exciting choice at this point. 

Gannon is the absolute least attractive of them all. If you don't go with Ryan's, for all the right reasons, go ahead and get an offensive HC. I'd prefer Steichen.

42 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I wouldnt mind Gannon if it isnt DeMeco.  If the rumors true about Gannon having connections to bring in a good staff I would welcome it.  I would be least excited about Kafka if he was the hire.

Part of the appeal of Gannon was the staff - specifically Frank Reich as his OC, which is now not an option, as Reich is the new HC of the Panthers. So that’s now out the window. I’d have to say Steichen is probably my next coveted guy after Ryans, with Evero as a darkhorse 3rd option - the work Evero got out of Pat Surtain II and Justin Simmons just feels like a good fit for Derek Stingley Jr. and Jalen Pitre. He knows DBs well, can get a lot from them.

All I know for certain? I don’t feel good about Mike Kafka. I think he’s about two years too early for the gig - Nick Caserio would be too involved on the headset for this to be a positive change (if that makes sense). He gives me Josh McCown vibes - not just because he’s a former backup QB, but because this feels like too big of a moment for him right now. Give him another year with Brian Daboll (perhaps with a new QB and a different RB) and I can reassess.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

New profile pic.

Let's hope it happens next week!

If it’s him - I want him walking into town with a shiny new SB ring. I want him taking a picture next to former San Francisco Giants/current Astros manager Dusty Baker, both showing off their new jewelry. I can wait a week, I want him to have immediate credibility to everyone both inside and outside the organization. 

30 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I feel like if we were serious about someone not still in the playoffs, we would be hiring them now. I’m 100% in on Ryans but if it’s not him, it needs to be an OC. 

I honestly think those are fallback options in the event Ryans chooses Denver or stays in San Francisco - they don’t want another placeholder like Culley or Lovie, the person they hire HAS to be the next HC for the next 5 years at minimum.

So, vet them all out - cast a wide net, have multiple offer letters and contract details ready to go for each candidate. If candidate one says no, move to candidate two. If two says no, three, four, five… don’t find yourself looking out in the coaching ranks and hiring a woefully under-qualified coach again.