Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

26 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We need to hire Demeco Ryans as head coach and hire an experienced OC 

Frank Reich could probably be persuaded to join Ryans, or perhaps you take a branch off the Shanahan tree and see if Klint Kubiak is willing to OC for one of his dad’s most trusted TCs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Typed on my phone....

DeMeco Ryans (sf) HC

anthony lynn (sf) oc / rbs or Joe Brady (buf) OC / passing game

klay kubiak (sf) qbs

andre johnson (ret) wr

owen daniels (ret) te

eugene chung (ret) ol

john benson (nyj) asst hc / ol

mike person (mia) asst ol

jerod mayo (nep) DC

darryl tapp (sf) dl or bill kollar (den) dl

antonio smith (ret) asst dl

brian flores (pit) Asst HC / LB

jerry gray (gb) asst hc / db

johnathan joseph (ret) cb

nick sorenson (sf) db

lance scheulters (lar) saf

frank ross (hou) ST 

58 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Typed on my phone....

DeMeco Ryans (sf) HC

anthony lynn (sf) oc / rbs or Joe Brady (buf) OC / passing game

klay kubiak (sf) qbs

andre johnson (ret) wr

owen daniels (ret) te

eugene chung (ret) ol

john benson (nyj) asst hc / ol

mike person (mia) asst ol

jerod mayo (nep) DC

darryl tapp (sf) dl or bill kollar (den) dl

antonio smith (ret) asst dl

brian flores (pit) Asst HC / LB

jerry gray (gb) asst hc / db

johnathan joseph (ret) cb

nick sorenson (sf) db

lance scheulters (lar) saf

frank ross (hou) ST 

Does Flores take a positional position on a franchise where he was a finalist for HC? That’s my only real question, rest is cheeky good.

I’d co-sign on it all.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Does Flores take a positional position on a franchise where he was a finalist for HC? That’s my only real question, rest is cheeky good.

I’d co-sign on it all.

That was one of my biggest questions.  I think he was set to come here and then boom the text messages.  Plus IIRC it was between he and McCown so he may have felt some kind of way during the process.

I would love to see him here, but I doubt it... I was just floating some ideas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m Bonn keep beating the Demeco Ryans drum. It’s the perfect fit for us. Brings him home. Dude can coach. It’s a great story line. 

You and I rarely get to drive the same bus, so let’s do it.

’Meco in ‘23!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, ET80 said:

…let’s not get carried away here, it’s bust for Bryce.

I've been really bouncing back and forth about #1 pick. Here's my latest line of thinking.

The Texans have picked #1 three times in franchise history. 1 QB, 2 D Linemen. The QB was a  bust, both D Linemen were either the correct pick, or very close to what would have been the correct pick in hindsight. The consensus best two players in this years draft are DT Jalen Carter and DE Will Anderson (I think by the time the draft rolls around, after the combine and everything, Carter will be the consensus best player available). Also, in case you're thinking a defensive linemen simply can't elevate a team to the same degree that a quarterback can, may I remind you of #99. Have we not all seen DTs destroy entire games this year (*see Kenyon Green getting his *** whupped repeatedly)

Is it possible that not taking Jalen Carter is what's actually "overthinking it"?

If the Texans do get DeMeco Ryans at HC and are able to trade for Brock Purdy, give me Jalen Carter... today lol. Tomorrow, maybe I'll change my mind again but today, give me the giant monster. 

In terms of hiring Ryans to be HC, it'd really depend a lot on what kind of OC he could extract from SF. If he's a package deal with a competent Shanahanian style guy, I love it. I feel like Ryans would want to start building his defense around Carter, and I feel like Caserio would be like, sure, yea, let's do it. 

I really think the way to go about getting a QB is the way we did with Watson. The QB is like, the cherry on top. Like, you have to babyproof the house before the baby comes home. You've got to have a team that CAN win without a "franchise QB" before you like, deserve one I guess is what I'm saying. I miss the Sage Rosenfels led, TJ Yates led, Case Keenum led, ****in Tom Savage, Brock Osweiler led victories. I feel like as a Texans fan I've developed  a weird complex where it's like more satisfying to win with an average QB. It like spits in the face of everything they talk about on TV, and most of what football fans believe, and I ******* love that. We used to do it every year like clockwork. Schaub was pretty damn good, but he was never really considered to be a "franchise QB". Maybe he was and I'm misremembering. But yea, we didn't used to need one. I want to build the team that doesn't need one, THEN go get one to take us to the next level.

Edited by PAtexansFAN_99

Also, after watching that Dallas game I'm honestly not 100% sure that anyone's getting fired. That gameplan by Pep Hamilton was a god damn work of art. Using both quarterbacks like that, and scheming up 10 Chris Moore catches for 124 yards, that guy's clearly a very competitive chess player. Also, the way Pitre played makes me feel better about Lovie's defense, and Kirksey looked like a completely different player and it made such a big difference just to have quality MLB play. I don't know, if these last few games look like that one, I might be able to be talked into running it back. 

And, if we run it back and we're bad to worse next year, we get Caleb Williams! (I know this is contradictory to my previous post about not getting a franchise QB, but come on man. That guy is a friggin superhero).

10 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Also, after watching that Dallas game I'm honestly not 100% sure that anyone's getting fired. That gameplan by Pep Hamilton was a god damn work of art. Using both quarterbacks like that, and scheming up 10 Chris Moore catches for 124 yards, that guy's clearly a very competitive chess player. Also, the way Pitre played makes me feel better about Lovie's defense, and Kirksey looked like a completely different player and it made such a big difference just to have quality MLB play. I don't know, if these last few games look like that one, I might be able to be talked into running it back. 

And, if we run it back and we're bad to worse next year, we get Caleb Williams! (I know this is contradictory to my previous post about not getting a franchise QB, but come on man. That guy is a friggin superhero).

I disagree. I've stated before you almost have to fire Lovie for the simple fact that they drafted Stingley #3 overall. Sticking him in that zone is criminal neglect. The players drafted, Pitre included, show me that the expectation going forward with the next coach is a more aggressive defense. Lovie isn't that.

• Like 2