Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Going into today, I actually had Lovie with OC Kliff Kingsbury as OC/HC in waiting (former Patriots plate, so Caserio has a dossier on him from then to lean on) with Miles Smith getting elevated to DC. After next season… Kingsbury ascends to HC, with Miles as DC and Lovie as the special advisor role that was previously held by Romeo Crennell.

After today? No, it’s a clean slate. Lovie was getting this consideration due to the improved play in the last three weeks - today was a regression to the Texans we know in the current era.

Yeah at this point I'm fine with Lovie being let go and moving forward with a new coach and QB... but I'm not sure that is what Houston will do after next weeks game. A results driven league and we haven't been good enough for the HC to keep his job. I'd rather bring someone new in. 

As far as Kingsbury I don't want him anywhere near this team. Or McCown really tbh.. but I think it is feasible that they try to keep Lovie while bringing in McCown. Kingsbury hasn't done that well in Arizona and I wouldn't like to see him as the guy leading our franchise. 

If Lovie is retained its easy to speculate that Miles Smith could step up as DC because he is Lovie's son, but there is no reason to believe that would improve the defense at all. The LB's haven't performed that well this season and he's played them all trying to make it work. Nothing on his resume would make you think he could do any better and if they were considering promoting Miles I'd much rather Lovie to continue to run the defense honestly (and nobody wants that lol).

If they want to promote from within the defensive coaches on staff the only person is probably the CB coach Dino Vasso. He at least has experience outside of Lovie system and has been an assistant DC before in Philly. He came over to Houston when Sirianni new staff was brought to Philly. The defense while Vasso was there was at least solid. That move wouldn't wow anyone and I doubt Lovie wants to give that DC role to anyone unless he has to. But the idea that promoting Miles Smith will somehow improve things is ridiculous to me.

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The one name I really want is DeMeco Ryans, but I think Ryans is the top name on many lists. The Eagles have Jonathan Gannon and Shane Steichen, wouldn’t mind to get in on those. Eric Bienenemy is always in the interview cycle, would be nice if he's the guy. I don’t think Sean Payton would want to come here, to be honest - I think he wants complete control over the roster (something Caserio isn’t going to be too thrilled about) and he's going to have a say in where he lands. Jim Harbaugh has been constantly mentioned as coming back to the league, but I think he’s enjoying that allure and using it to draw in bigger checks from Michigan.

Yeah I'd love DeMeco but seems like a pipe dream honestly. I think if he was somehow interested in coming to Houston he would be great, but there are so few chances for guys in the coaching game, especially minorities. I couldn't see him wanting to come back to Houston and this situation. I really like him so in a way I want him to go to a good situation and have success. If I was Houston I'd be making sure Andre Johnson was someone involved with trying to get Demeco here. They can perhaps buy into the idea of changing the franchise together.

Either of the eagles coordinators would be ok for me, but I wouldn't have them as top candidates or be very excited about the hire. How much does Steichen control the offense and could he replicate here with way less talent? Who knows... As far as Gannon I probably like him more and what he's done with that defense. He interviewed twice last year I believe. 

For me hiring a Defensive minded coach is hard because we have the leagues worst offense. We've heard the last two offseason that Caserio thinks of the HC as a leader of the organization and I think he would put leadership qualities over the XO's of the game. The new coach will need to be a leader is Caserio is the one hiring. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So when do we know the fate of Lovie Smith?

they obviously couldn’t have fired him during the season because we literally don’t have anyone in the roster that could have taken over.  

at the very least, Pep should be fired and Lovie looking for a new OC

It better be 8am Monday morning 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, OzzyTexan said:

Yeah at this point I'm fine with Lovie being let go and moving forward with a new coach and QB... but I'm not sure that is what Houston will do after next weeks game.

Mind you, I'm just theorizing out here - in no way do I want any of that. 

I do think the Josh McCown talk will die out; Jeff Saturday is proving out that such a jump is nearly impossible to make, and it's a bad secret that McCown was an Easterby guy - so with Jackie gone, he's probably off the list.

24 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Cal would be dead to me if he cans Caserio. 

I don’t want to fire Caserio, but if he doesn’t make the decisions to secure the #1 pick, he’s gotta go.

He had one job …and he botched it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don’t want to fire Caserio, but if he doesn’t make the decisions to secure the #1 pick, he’s gotta go.

He had one job …and he botched it.

Yup, Cal should completely clean house if they don’t get the top pick. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Lovie said he absolutely expects to be back after this season 

if we don’t fire him, we need to run it back with Mills. There’s no sense in drafting a QB at number 2 if we arent bringing in a new coach. 

What would be the justification for running it back with Mills? I feel like that there’s no way for the the Texans front office to explain that. He’s was horrible today, and he’s been horrible all season

1 minute ago, ObotimusPrime said:

What would be the justification for running it back with Mills? I feel like that there’s no way for the the Texans front office to explain that. He’s was horrible today, and he’s been horrible all season

Because the 2024 QBs are better than the 2023 QBs and who wants to waste the number 2 pick on a QB to be ruined by this staff?