Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Lovie said he absolutely expects to be back after this season 

if we don’t fire him, we need to run it back with Mills. There’s no sense in drafting a QB at number 2 if we arent bringing in a new coach. 

If Lovie and Mills are back, Texans are going to set a record for least number of tickets sold in a season. Invest in a good streaming option, because the Texans are going to be blacked out from TV next year because they can't give tickets away.

If I had it my way, I'd leave Mills and Lovie in Indiana.

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If Lovie and Mills are back, Texans are going to set a record for least number of tickets sold in a season. Invest in a good streaming option, because the Texans are going to be blacked out from TV next year because they can't give tickets away.

If I had it my way, I'd leave Mills and Lovie in Indiana.

I honestly still think mills has upside. I don't really think it makes any sense to release him, I expect him back on the team next season regardless of what we do at qb. That being said, I DON'T think handing him the 2023 job is an option. At the absolute bare minimum, we need to bring someone in (I like Jaren Hall in the third) to take his job away from him when he fails, someone with starter potential. 

My favorite plan is picking BY at 1.2, but if we don't have that option I think Mills is absolutely a part of the starting qb equation next year. 

New thoughts on potential coaching staff

Option #1

Head Coach DeMeco Ryans (SF)

Assistant Head Coach Jim Caldwell (ret)

Assistant Head Coach / Run game coordinator / OC / RB Anthony Lynn (SF) or OC Matt Nagy (KC)

OC Klint Kubiak (DEN) or Joe Brady (BUF)

QB Klay Kubiak (SF)

Passing Came Coordinator / WR Keenan McCardell (MN)

WR Aldrick Robinson (MIA)

Asst WR coach Andre Johnson (ret)

TE James Casey (CIN) or TE Greg Olsen (LAR)

OL Mike Person (MIA) or Jeff Blasko (DAL)

Asst OL Eugene Chung (ret)

DC Jerod Mayo (NE)

DL Darryl Tapp (SF) or Bill Kollar (DEN)

LB George Edwards (DAL) or Sam Siefkess (MN)

Pass Rush Coordinator / LB Bryan Cox (NYJ)

CB Nick Sorenson (SF)

Asst DB Jonathan Joseph (ret)

SAF Lance Schulters (LAR)

ST Frank Ross (HOU)

Option #2

Head Coach Ben Johnson (DET)

Assistant Head Coach Jim Caldwell (ret)

Asst HC / Run Game Coordinator Duce Staley (DET)

OC / Passing Game Coordinator Klint Kubiak (DEN) or Joe Brady (BUF)

QB J.T Barrett (DET)

WR John Morton (DET)

Asst WR coach Andre Johnson (ret)

TE James Casey (CIN) or TE Greg Olsen (LAR)

OL Jeff Blasko (DAL)

Asst OL Eugene Chung (ret)

DC Jerod Mayo (NE)

DL Bill Kollar (DEN)

LB George Edwards (DAL) or Sam Siefkess (MN) Pass Rush Coordinator / LB Bryan Cox (NYJ)

CB Nick Sorenson (SF)

Asst DB Jonathan Joseph (ret)

SAF Lance Schulters (LAR)

ST Frank Ross (HOU)

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Lolz how do we fire Cal

Life was better when Bob was alive…

(Totally in a rant mood right now…)

Ask yourself what this sort of futility does to the bottom line. This team used to be one of the 5-6 most valuable franchises in football, now I doubt it’s in the top 15. For a franchise located in the 4th largest city in the US, a top 10 TV market and one of the biggest football states in the world - this is absolutely unacceptable, it’s business malpractice that makes FTX and Enron look like the New England Patriots.

Jalen Carter could be the next Aaron Donald, Will Anderson could be the next Derrick Thomas - the Texans have screwed the pooch SO badly that they cannot take these guys because the financial backlash of not having a face of the franchise will send this team into a further tailspin financially. The Texans have no choice but to find someone to get the casual fan back in the building, and that’s not another year of Davis Mills or a lame duck Derek Carr - it HAS to be the promise of a young QB who could develop (or a nail in the coffin that is a bad QB that gets everyone fired). 

People bring up the futility of the Jags during the Bortles era or the Browns, and want to avoid that - little do they know, we’re already there and have been there for a few years.