Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I'm going to call BS on this and if it's true, it's a reflection more on Caserio who I've been more patient with than most. When Culley was fired, sources said the same thing about him that they are saying about Lovie. Hard to work with, etc.

I will say, the eye test says he was stubborn as heck. None other than that zone that he refused to come out of. But I can't get down with the notion that players couldn't talk to him and feel heard when in most of the games, they seemed competitive and willingly played hard. Never saw them really quit. You quit on coaches you don't respect. 

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I'm going to call BS on this and if it's true, it's a reflection more on Caserio who I've been more patient with than most. When Culley was fired, sources said the same thing about him that they are saying about Lovie. Hard to work with, etc.

I will say, the eye test says he was stubborn as heck. None other than that zone that he refused to come out of. But I can't get down with the notion that players couldn't talk to him and feel heard when in most of the games, they seemed competitive and willingly played hard. Never saw them really quit. You quit on coaches you don't respect. 

Some guys I like in no particular order.

Brian Callahan, OC Bengals. The guy has done some impressive work with multiple QBs, P Manning, Stafford, Carr, and now Burrow. He is young and understands today's offense and schemes. I trust him with molding our next QB.

Demeco Ryans, DC Niners. We obviously know about Ryans as a leader and person, but what he has continued to do with the Niners defense is impressive. I am very reluctant to hire a defensive guy because the turnover at OC damages teams. With an offensive HC you have at least a level of consistency. But there is no denying him as among the best defensive coaches in the game right now.

Shane Steichen, OC Eagles. Another young innovative OC who has helped multiple young QBs. He has helped Jalen Hurts become a better passer and helped Justin Herbert become ROTY. I would trust him with our next QB.

Jonathan Gannon, DC Eagles. Honestly, the only thing that impresses me about Gannon is the potential ability to assemble a quality staff from previous connections. Outside of that, he does not have a long resume and no history on the offensive side of the ball. His defense is good, but not dominant. He is not my favorite candidate.

Ben Johnson, OC Lions. I like this guy's future, but it might be a year or two too early for us. I love what he has done with Goff and the Lions, but again, his track record is just not as long. I do love how he uses tight ends. Hockenson is a beast.

Kellen Moore, OC Cowboys. Moore has done some good things with the Cowboys and the instability of Dak's availability. His track record with multiple QBs is limited, but he has helped Dak become a legit QB and Cooper Rush looked great at times. I would like to see him move on from Dallas as OC but that's unlikely, as I expect him to get hired as HC soon.

There are obviously more guys, but these few stand out to me. I think I would lean toward Callahan or Setichen personally. I love their track record with young QBs and that is exactly what we need.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Blaze said:

idk about the truth to any of this, but people comparing Culley and Lovie makes a little sense because Lovie did work for Culley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Kingsbury as an OC anyone?

Hard pass. The Cardinals offense wasn’t ever that good during his tenure, especially considering all of the personnel he was given. The Cardinals Offensive DVOA rankings since Kliff got there:

2019 - 13th

2020 - 19th

2021 - 15th

2022 - 30th - just above the Texans!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Hard pass. The Cardinals offense wasn’t ever that good during his tenure, especially considering all of the personnel he was given. The Cardinals Offensive DVOA rankings since Kliff got there:

2019 - 13th

2020 - 19th

2021 - 15th

2022 - 30th - just above the Texans!

And that’s with Deandre Hopkins, AJ Green, Rondale Moore, James Connor and Kyler Murray - probably one of the biggest wastes of offensive talent we had in football.