Future of the HC Position

lumberjackchris

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:
5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Texans have requested to interview OC Ben Johnson.  Glad they are getting the search going already. 

Edit:  Texans also request to interview Demeco, Jonathan Gannon and Broncos DC Ejiro Evero. 

I’m out on Johnson. 

I simply don't know enough about him to decide either way. One year wonderkids give me pause, though.

20 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’d be more for him than a 60 year old recycle but I want Ryans 100% but only if he hires a DC 

The coordinators is why I'm high on Gannon - Frank Reich and Mike Zimmer is a dynamo duo to have.

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

so he finally grew some balls

I think Cal finally realized he was being duped by Easterby and Caserio and was done being the butt of jokes. I'm sure another owner pulled him to the side and told him how stupid he was looking in them streets. 

• Like 3

So, if I'm reading all of this correctly - Caserio is still in danger. If one of the coaching candidates feels as if there's another GM who'd align better with him, Caserio is sent packing and the new HC/GM starts with a clean slate and picks/cap. I'd surmise this will be a question Cal will ask directly without Caserio in the room.

I mean... It's not the WORST situation. New HC and FO? Not like there's a lot of existing talent to remove...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, if I'm reading all of this correctly - Caserio is still in danger. If one of the coaching candidates feels as if there's another GM who'd align better with him, Caserio is sent packing and the new HC/GM starts with a clean slate and picks/cap. I'd surmise this will be a question Cal will ask directly without Caserio in the room.

I mean... It's not the WORST situation. New HC and FO? Not like there's a lot of existing talent to remove...

I dont understand it. Why not just fire Caserio now if that's the case? Me thinks it's just lip service with Caserio trying to take some form of accountability.

Making this statement 4 times was overkill to his point. Caserio is not going to fire himself when it comes to hiring a HC and Cal has proven he doesn't know how to hire anybody. Caserio could and should hire the best coach for the job, but it won't be at his own expense. What HC in a interview will say they have their own hand picked GM to bring in? HC's not named Payton, Belichick, Harbaugh are the exception and none of them are walking through that door.

• Like 1

I will never be convinced that Caserio made the calls to hire Culley and Lovie. A new GM would not want to tie themselves to guys on the way out of their careers. There’s no way. 

the most likely situation is that other people were making the call and that we were in such a mess that no good coaches wanted the job. 

we are much more appealing now. Honestly I think we were better coaching away from being a 6 or 7 win team. I don’t think 8-9 or 9-8 is out of the question for next year with the right coach, draft and free agency. 

9 hours ago, Blaze said:

I dont understand it. Why not just fire Caserio now if that's the case? Me thinks it's just lip service with Caserio trying to take some form of accountability.

Making this statement 4 times was overkill to his point. Caserio is not going to fire himself when it comes to hiring a HC and Cal has proven he doesn't know how to hire anybody. Caserio could and should hire the best coach for the job, but it won't be at his own expense. What HC in a interview will say they have their own hand picked GM to bring in? HC's not named Payton, Belichick, Harbaugh are the exception and none of them are walking through that door.

The vibe that people in attendance were giving was that Caserio was "nervous" and that it was peculiar that Cal and Hannah (more on that later) were sitting in the 2nd row of the press pool - traditionally, the owner and [insert position here - HC, GM, draft pick] sit next to each other at a table. This felt like Cal and Hannah were evaluating Caserio mid-presser...

...and according to those there, it felt like Hannah was the most observant. We know Cal is Cal, but we know little about Hannah until recently, with her not-so-subtle jabs at Deshaun Watson when he returned to Houston. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but Hannah might be managing expectations at a higher level - this feels a lot like when Kim Pegula started to take a more pro-active approach with the Buffalo Bills, managing image and branding; This ultimately allowed Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane to focus on the football aspect.

I think this is vastly understated when discussing the Texans - there is a significant branding issue here. Tone deaf, lack of accountability, overly conservative, mysoginistic (via Watson's transgressions) and even racist overtones are currently the national narrative here. That impacts the bottom line and needs to be corrected even before you go into draft picks - nobody is going to cheer for the Texans if there is a moral conundrum to work around, nobody wants to play for a team that is morally bankrupt (unless you're cutting HUGE checks for marginal talent - Dan Snyder is evidence of this).

If Hannah is asserting herself to clean up the perception of the Texans, that a positive step in the sense that they're acknowledging they have a branding issue. She could potentially make it worse, but admitting there is an issue is the first step.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I agree with Pastor, the previous 2 coaches are on Cal more than Caserio.

I can see Nick laying out his vision for potential candidates and then behind closed doors Cal asking the candidates if they believe in it or if they would like a different GM to pair with them.

I wouldn't even put it on Cal. Cal had a buffer zone with his EVP of Football Ops, someone who Cal trusted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

The vibe that people in attendance were giving was that Caserio was "nervous" and that it was peculiar that Cal and Hannah (more on that later) were sitting in the 2nd row of the press pool - traditionally, the owner and [insert position here - HC, GM, draft pick] sit next to each other at a table. This felt like Cal and Hannah were evaluating Caserio mid-presser...

...and according to those there, it felt like Hannah was the most observant. We know Cal is Cal, but we know little about Hannah until recently, with her not-so-subtle jabs at Deshaun Watson when he returned to Houston. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but Hannah might be managing expectations at a higher level - this feels a lot like when Kim Pegula started to take a more pro-active approach with the Buffalo Bills, managing image and branding; This ultimately allowed Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane to focus on the football aspect.

I think this is vastly understated when discussing the Texans - there is a significant branding issue here. Tone deaf, lack of accountability, overly conservative, mysoginistic (via Watson's transgressions) and even racist overtones are currently the national narrative here. That impacts the bottom line and needs to be corrected even before you go into draft picks - nobody is going to cheer for the Texans if there is a moral conundrum to work around, nobody wants to play for a team that is morally bankrupt (unless you're cutting HUGE checks for marginal talent - Dan Snyder is evidence of this).

If Hannah is asserting herself to clean up the perception of the Texans, that a positive step in the sense that they're acknowledging they have a branding issue. She could potentially make it worse, but admitting there is an issue is the first step.

I wasn't in attendance but from what I heard and read, it definitely felt weird. Possibly because we are used to Cal being inept at everything and he finally decided to man up.

Part of me thinks he and Hannah had a long talk about the state of the Texans outside of just football. Bob used to handle everything while Cal and Hannah mostly stayed in the background. Matter fact, we didnt know who they were till Bob passed. I somewhat want to give Cal a pass because he was given a role before he was ready for it. Had no chance to be groomed so he decided to trust others while continuing to write checks. In the end, it bit him in the arse. Now they have reversed course and he is letting it be known that he is in charge and only wants results. 

Before, Caserio probably figured he could get over and just passively do things roster wise, hiring his own coaches, etc. As Cal matured in his role, he realized this isnt the way and is putting pressure on Caserio that he didnt have before. Remember, he was just last year that Caserio said he no pressure and this was just a year ago. He feels it now. If he doesnt get this coaching hire right and spend that cap money wisely, he will be looking for a job next year. 

I do give credit to Caserio for navigating the Deshaun situation and I understood the Culley and Lovie hires but no one gets a pass no. 2024 is the last of the 2nd 1st round picks, youre in a crappy division, the days of the excuses are over for all parties. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I wasn't in attendance but from what I heard and read, it definitely felt weird. Possibly because we are used to Cal being inept at everything and he finally decided to man up.

Part of me thinks he and Hannah had a long talk about the state of the Texans outside of just football. Bob used to handle everything while Cal and Hannah mostly stayed in the background. Matter fact, we didnt know who they were till Bob passed. I somewhat want to give Cal a pass because he was given a role before he was ready for it. Had no chance to be groomed so he decided to trust others while continuing to write checks. In the end, it bit him in the arse. Now they have reversed course and he is letting it be known that he is in charge and only wants results. 

Before, Caserio probably figured he could get over and just passively do things roster wise, hiring his own coaches, etc. As Cal matured in his role, he realized this isnt the way and is putting pressure on Caserio that he didnt have before. Remember, he was just last year that Caserio said he no pressure and this was just a year ago. He feels it now. If he doesnt get this coaching hire right and spend that cap money wisely, he will be looking for a job next year. 

I do give credit to Caserio for navigating the Deshaun situation and I understood the Culley and Lovie hires but no one gets a pass no. 2024 is the last of the 2nd 1st round picks, youre in a crappy division, the days of the excuses are over for all parties. 

100% - this could be Cal FINALLY growing up. 

At this point, go ahead and put Caserio out of his GM misery Cal. Dont wait on it. This screams of Cal not knowing how to do the heavy lifting on his own, so he is depending on someone else to do it. He can handle a GM without a coach, a coach without the GM but not both. The quicker he makes a decision on Caserio, the quicker he can move past this Patriot South nonsense and begin to get some real structure in the building. 

I want Caserio to work but I hate uncertainty, especially when it is obvious how unstructered the front office is. This is why DeMeco or any HC with sway is leery of this job. 

• Like 1