Week 7 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

While the Niners have gotten good results from their recent history of extended Eastern trips (they're 8-2 on long trips since 2019), they're almost equally bad in their first game back at Levi's Stadium.

The Niners are 1-3 under Shanahan following a weeklong stay in the Eastern time zone. The lone win came in Week 3 of 2019 against a winless Pittsburgh Steelers team and even in that game, the undefeated Niners were sluggish, overcoming five turnovers to score a last-minute touchdown and claim the victory.

Wonder what that is about. 

This was an ESPN article from Nick Wagoner. 

• Like 2

Trent potentially coming back is great. As a fan if the 49ers get clobbered I really hope it's not because the offense gets manhandled up front, and KC's defense just plays lights out. Really don't want to see Chris Jones and Frank Clark mouthing off yapping and dabbin. For some reason that bothers me more than the defense getting whipped. I guess due to the injuries that side of the ball playing lackluster would be more palatable. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

Does anyone else feel like it's weird that we are having a 10 year reunion for a team that made it to the Super Bowl that we ended up losing? 

Also, does anyone know the cutoff date for Huf to pass the concussion protocol? It seems like it needed to be done mid-week last year, so is today his last chance? 

• Like 2

Fangio has been around camp this year and it seems like he will be our DC next year when DeMeco leaves. 

I know that he was pretty upset that he didn't get the HC job after Harbaugh was fired. 

So, I wonder if this is a way for Jed to show that it won't be weird, and that there are truly no hard feelings from his side. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yes I heard about that, and think it's utterly stupid. Would never happen under Eddie D's watch. 

I get that, but Eddie has always been about taking care of former players. I am sure there is a lot of animosity from players/coaches from that era towards ownership, and I understand why Jed would put on an event like this to try and bring people back into the fold. 

Jed certainly got humbled after that whole ordeal. This seems like a solid enough way to show appreciation for what that team accomplished. Even if that was the 49ers first SB loss, that was a damn good football team.  

I do think it is odd, but I am also sure there are plenty of fans out there who will love it lol 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Fangio has been around camp this year and it seems like he will be our DC next year when DeMeco leaves. 

I know that he was pretty upset that he didn't get the HC job after Harbaugh was fired. 

So, I wonder if this is a way for Jed to show that it won't be weird, and that there are truly no hard feelings from his side. 

I get that, but Eddie has always been about taking care of former players. I am sure there is a lot of animosity from players/coaches from that era towards ownership, and I understand why Jed would put on an event like this to try and bring people back into the fold. 

Jed certainly got humbled after that whole ordeal. This seems like a solid enough way to show appreciation for what that team accomplished. Even if that was the 49ers first SB loss, that was a damn good football team.  

I do think it is odd, but I am also sure there are plenty of fans out there who will love it lol 

That team, even if not maybe that year but those group of players pulled the franchise out of a dark time.  Yes, they fell short at the end but it helped put the franchise back to where it should be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I would be extremely curious what Fangio would do with our current defense and it’s roster. Do we switch back to a 3-4? Bosa standing up? We have very talented players, and I figure our LBs would fit a 3-4 (adding another pure thumper ILB would be awesome), but we would need beefier DTs.

or, what would be very interesting, is what Fangio would do if we kept it 4-3/wide 9 and see how he adapts his philosophy to it. I’m not sure if Fangio ever ran a 4-3

but I would be all for bringing Fangio back in, he always puts together a top tier defense 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I would be extremely curious what Fangio would do with our current defense and it’s roster. Do we switch back to a 3-4? Bosa standing up? We have very talented players, and I figure our LBs would fit a 3-4 (adding another pure thumper ILB would be awesome), but we would need beefier DTs.

or, what would be very interesting, is what Fangio would do if we kept it 4-3/wide 9 and see how he adapts his philosophy to it. I’m not sure if Fangio ever ran a 4-3

but I would be all for bringing Fangio back in, he always puts together a top tier defense 

It would be interesting.

I think he would have to run a 4-3, but the team is usually in nickel and he always ran a 4-2, so that wouldn't change much.  Our DE's are so good, and we have so many, it would be a waste to swap them out with standup linebackers.  

The one player that makes me wonder is Hufanga.  He is soo good when he is close to the LOS, but fangio keeps both safetys back on every play.  It makes me wonder how he would use Huf.