Week 7 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

Yes they sure as hell can win but it's hard when you don't have a reliable QB who can finish drives in the endzone. I'd be confident if the QB play was elite but that's not even close and it basically gets you also ran results!

If the defense plays like it did today it wouldn't matter if the 49ers had "elite" QB play the rest of the contest. They were scoring on pretty much every single drive from the opening gun. Mostly touchdowns. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

10 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If the defense plays like it did today it wouldn't matter if the 49ers had "elite" QB play the rest of the contest. They were scoring on pretty much every single drive from the opening gun. Mostly touchdowns. 

Yeah, the defense wasn't going to get a win today. They had opportunities. The two third and 20s were just utter back breakers. If those were 3 points instead of 14, they did just about as expected and its a ballgame. But they stunk it up out loud. They were naive. Their tendencies were exploited. And the Chiefs did a really, really good job picking up stunts. We're a great stunting team and I think we got Drake Jackson clean one time on those. Some of that is missing Arik Armstead. He's great at eating an extra block both on stunts and in the run game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Reid and Mahomes together are 12-2 against top 5 scoring defenses? That's just absurd. 

Yeah, I wish I could remember the stats, but when they play the #1 scoring defense in the league, they rip them apart. 

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

He's always been a bit blase when hot. The best guys know. They know when there's an unblocked guy. They know that guy's theirs. They know which direction in the pocket they have to fade to buy time when overloaded. They know both that they are hot and what their hot options are. Jimmy struggles a couple of parts of that. Jimmy struggles with the fading - he just doesn't do it most of the time because he is so bad off platform; he just trusts that he can quick release that sucker before getting killed. Jimmy also occasionally doesn't seem to know that an unblocked guy is coming and is his too often. Jimmy does at least know what his hots are most of the time (and there seem to be obvious hots - watching some Nagy tape last year was hilarious in this regard). 

The bolded is a huge issue. He simultaneously cannot throw off platform but somehow some of his best throws come with that quick release over the middle where he hardly uses his base at all. It's what makes good Jimmy good, but he tries to do it without his feet planted properly and it's a disaster. 

Jimmy has no heart, no focus, no discipline. There isn't a sense of urgency with him a lot of times. He isn't locked in mentally far too often. 

There are only 17 damn games a year and it seems like there's going to be 5/6 where he is less than the best version of himself. 

I wonder how the party at his house with his brothers is tonight. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

If Shanny can't figure it out and we decide to move on whos even out there worth going after?

Have you seen the state of the NFL right now? Lots of bad coaching producing bad football. 

We aren't getting rid of Kyle this year or next. It. Is. Not. Happening. 

Let the man coach the QB he drafted before you even consider it. Sheesh. 

• Like 3

Home blowout still wasn't as bad as the 40-8 *** whippin the Eagles put on the 49ers back in the day. We'll see what happens. Roster is talented. Everyone was just mentally off. Better now than later. Chiefs got blown out 3-27 last year at Tennessee even with the great Mahomes and Reid. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

As bad as it sounds, considering it was a blowout, they did a lot better than I thought they would......for a half, anyway.  The rest of the game was pretty much what I expected.

You can have the lead against KC early on, but they will switch to God mode and start scoring every drive.  If you can't match that with scoring drives as well, you're going to lose the game.  If we kept the penalties under control, it would have been a lot closer.  Our drives stalled; theirs were extended.  Not a good recipe for winning. 

I always had this game in the loss column, so it didn't hit as hard for me as the Chicago, Denver, or Atlanta losses.  But, because of the aforementioned losses, it felt like we needed this win to stay on pace for a playoff run.  Luckily, the NFC West, as a whole, hasn't played well.  So, we still have a shot.  Just need to figure out our identity on offense.  The defense will get better as we bring guys back from injury.