Week 7 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Even though I was furious through most of the game yesterday, the outcome was about what I expected. The Chiefs and the Bills are the two best teams in the NFL right now and it's really hard to get too upset about yesterday's game. 

I just don't think there is a ton to take away from this game other than Mahomes/Reid is still a god-tier pairing, our defense had an uncharacterically-bad day, and Jimmy is average.

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Home blowout still wasn't as bad as the 40-8 *** whippin the Eagles put on the 49ers back in the day. We'll see what happens. Roster is talented. Everyone was just mentally off. Better now than later. Chiefs got blown out 3-27 last year at Tennessee even with the great Mahomes and Reid. 

Yep. Plus the 2012 team lost 42-6 to the Seahawks. It happens. But this was definitely a reality check game. We are not on the level of the elite (Chiefs & Bills). Winning the NFC is doable, winning the SB would take a herculean effort and we'd need most if not all the breaks to bounce our way against either of those teams. 

Looking at the schedule. I have us at 10-7 with losses to the Dolphins, Seahawks & Cardinals (week 18). That should be good for a WC spot and maybe even the division. 

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, 49ers get 5 spots. 6th spot goes to NFCS winner (Bucs or Falcons). 7th spot goes to one of LAR/GB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Yep. Plus the 2012 team lost 42-6 to the Seahawks. It happens. But this was definitely a reality check game. We are not on the level of the elite (Chiefs & Bills). Winning the NFC is doable, winning the SB would take a herculean effort and we'd need most if not all the breaks to bounce our way against either of those teams. 

Looking at the schedule. I have us at 10-7 with losses to the Dolphins, Seahawks & Cardinals (week 18). That should be good for a WC spot and maybe even the division. 

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, 49ers get 5 spots. 6th spot goes to NFCS winner (Bucs or Falcons). 7th spot goes to one of LAR/GB. 

This team could win the division, I have massive concerns about how it would match up against the Eagles, however. This line legit just got its *** kicked by a good offensive line with meh tackles. The eagles offensive line is possibly the best in the league. We also struggle with running QBs and Hurts is probably the second best in the league. 

I think the Eagles would just run all over us. 

• Like 1

I think guys came back too early from injuries.  Jimmy Ward did not have his full stride or range of motion.  Nick Bosa didn't look as dynamic or powerful off of the line.  Mooney covered pretty well, but looked like he had problems in tackling.  Hufanga misses tackles sometimes, but he makes up for it with splash plays.  I wouldn't hate seeing him break down and wrap up now and again though.

At least we only have to play the Chiefs once.  That offense is really good. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

This team could win the division, I have massive concerns about how it would match up against the Eagles, however. This line legit just got its *** kicked by a good offensive line with meh tackles. The eagles offensive line is possibly the best in the league. We also struggle with running QBs and Hurts is probably the second best in the league. 

I think the Eagles would just run all over us. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeXma3Cmk0f93Tll2xVYk

This team needs to focus on winning a damn game.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

Just now, Forge said:

This team is legit .5 games back in the division with 10 games to go. 

The team leading the division was dominated by the 49ers. 

Yeah, but so much changes in ten games, I just think it is too early to project out the NFC when we are below .500, trailing Geno Smith and the Seattle Seahawks.  Unfortunately, the Seahawks have earned first place, and have probably been the most consistent team in the division.  Before the season they were in the hunt for the first pick in the draft, now just six weeks later, it's different.  

It's not just the 49ers fate that could change, the Eagles could hit four key injuries, then everything could change for them.  It's always good to remember it is a long, unpredictable year.

Just now, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yeah, but so much changes in ten games, I just think it is too early to project out the NFC when we are below .500, trailing Geno Smith and the Seattle Seahawks.  Unfortunately, the Seahawks have earned first place, and have probably been the most consistent team in the division.  Before the season they were in the hunt for the first pick in the draft, now just six weeks later, it's different.  

It's not just the 49ers fate that could change, the Eagles could hit four key injuries, then everything could change for them.  It's always good to remember it is a long, unpredictable year.

I said that they could win the division...they could also not win it. I'm not really projecting anything lol 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said that they could win the division...they could also not win it. I'm not really projecting anything lol 

Yeah, It wasn't as serious as Jim Mora's face, I'm just more concerned about this team making it to the playoffs.  It is great to think of ourselves as the #2 team in the NFC, but this team is staring down a Rams team that still has a lot of talent, and could be 3-5 going into the bye week.  

I don't want to sound too doomy and gloomy, but this team has just as much potential to take a nosedive as it does to string together some wins.  Right now, the Eagles are the team to beat in the NFC, but it is too early to project everything out to the playoffs and think about match-ups there.  I suppose the main thing I am trying to say is the playoff version of the Eagles and 49ers would be different than the teams that are playing now.

One thing I think the game showed is that this offense is going to have very little problem moving the ball. It's just impossible to stop with all the weapons we have. 

Kicking four FGs inside the 35 yard line against a powerhouse offense is just unacceptable. CMC will need to be utilized heavily in the RZ going forward. 

There was question about if Kittle still has the same juice and he has shown he is largely the same player but finally is getting more targets now. That's a plus and Aiyuk is doing what he has always been capable of doing. 

The team will be fine going forward but they need Armstead back ASAP and need guys like Mooney/Bosa/Trent to get fully healthy. Jimmie was very off yesterday as well and rusty. It's okay, I know that unit is going to be really good but the corner situation after Moseley went down is not ideal. Really feels like we need Verrett to be able to return and play close to 2020 form to truly have a chance to make noise in January. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The defensive line is in trouble right now unless they get Armstead back. 

There's no push up the middle right now. Givens is too inconsistent as a every down 3T. Rideway is more of a run stuffer. And we're using that 4 DE nickel package way too much. It's a tell imo and gives away your coverage on the backend.

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think guys came back too early from injuries.  Jimmy Ward did not have his full stride or range of motion.  Nick Bosa didn't look as dynamic or powerful off of the line.  Mooney covered pretty well, but looked like he had problems in tackling.  Hufanga misses tackles sometimes, but he makes up for it with splash plays.  I wouldn't hate seeing him break down and wrap up now and again though.

At least we only have to play the Chiefs once.  That offense is really good. 

Disagree with Mooney covering well. He was clearly hampered and did not run nearly as well as he usually does. Mooney was the one you can tell came back a week or two earlier than he should have. Even when he was walking in the pre-game to the field, he had a little limp when he was walking. 

Ward is arguably the best cover safety in the league and he was a step slow on ever attempt that came his way. He had to play pure nickel back but I think it is time to move him over to FS. Gibson can be the third safety going forward. Gibson gets exposed when he is left in single coverage. His QB rating against looked great all season up until recently because teams weren't attacking him but that has changed now. 

Hufanga will have his flaws wrapping up but he's a straight ballhawk. I'll take him seven days a week but I need someone like Ward playing opposite of him.

Bosa was getting chipped, and taken advantage of being so aggressive going upfield. But Ryans did a terrible job of not moving him around and making it more difficult on the Chiefs to account for him.

Sometimes players rush back from injuries and in our case it seemed like all of them came back a week or two too early lol. Better weeks ahead though my friend, better weeks ahead! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll bet you Jimmy can stop it 

LOL, even he really can't stop it for the most part.....Well, that is until he gets to the RZ Ha.

But the offensive talent is just too good and it has too many players that can make plays by themselves after the catch. We lack the deep ball and in 2022, it's very hard to win without much of a vertical threat but the offense is still good enough to move the ball...But moving the ball is not resulting in TDs and that's the issue. I still can't get over Jimmy's INT he threw. That was something a rookie QB would do and he's still making those mistakes in his 9th year. So frustrating. 

We need to beat the Rams next week before the bye week and get even healthier for the 2nd half of the season. A LOT of winnable games on the back end that we will likely need to sweep.