Week 7 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

30 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

It would be interesting.

I think he would have to run a 4-3, but the team is usually in nickel and he always ran a 4-2, so that wouldn't change much.  Our DE's are so good, and we have so many, it would be a waste to swap them out with standup linebackers.  

The one player that makes me wonder is Hufanga.  He is soo good when he is close to the LOS, but fangio keeps both safetys back on every play.  It makes me wonder how he would use Huf. 

We actually don’t have many DEs on the roster for next year, I believe all but two (Bosa, Jackson) will be FA next year, which makes me worried kinda

13 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

We actually don’t have many DEs on the roster for next year, I believe all but two (Bosa, Jackson) will be FA next year, which makes me worried kinda

I think it would still be a 4-3, but the opposite backer would play a different role.  I don't see any reason to kick bosa into coverage enough to keep him standing.  He is just so good out of that track stance, any smart DC would keep that train rolling.   We don't really have the draft picks to make a conversion at any position though. 

The DE depth sounds concerning, but I will worry about it next offseason, lol.  I already have enough to worry about this year1

16 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think it would still be a 4-3, but the opposite backer would play a different role.  I don't see any reason to kick bosa into coverage enough to keep him standing.  He is just so good out of that track stance, any smart DC would keep that train rolling.   We don't really have the draft picks to make a conversion at any position though. 

The DE depth sounds concerning, but I will worry about it next offseason, lol.  I already have enough to worry about this year1

Yeah, I’m not sure Bosa is the ideal 3-4 end, usually you have beefier end on a 3-4 ( someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Much like when the Cardinals potentially were gonna draft Bosa over Kyler, they talked to him about standing up.

but that’s a convo for next year….we got McCaffrey!!! Let’s go

Edited by P_locniners

We find out tomorrow if Verrett practiced fully today but we are getting a lot of our top dogs back which gives us a solid shot at winning. Mooney Ward is the one big question mark while it seems like Jimmie will be back. 

CMC probably gets limited playing time and less than 5 touches. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, I’m not sure Bosa is the ideal 3-4 end, usually you have beefier end on a 3-4 ( someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Much like when the Cardinals potentially were gonna draft Bosa over Kyler, they talked to him about standing up.

but that’s a convo for next year….we got McCaffrey!!! Let’s go

Yeah, a traditionally constructed 3-4 has two long tall, big ends, Like Buckner and Armstead.  A stump of a NT, but that is being replaced with a low gravity penetrator like DJ jones.   There is an OLB that pass rushes on almost every play, like Aldon Smith, then there is a linebacker that needs to have a versatile skillset like Ahmad Brooks.  

Fangio can still run a base two man under, off man, quarters scheme from the 4-3.  I think Fangio would adapt to the personnel the 49ers have.

• Like 1

I can't tell if we have a legit shot to win this game. It's a good thing our defense is incredibly good and getting healthy for this week. Our pass defense is great and we rush the passer well. Our strength is going up against the Chiefs' strength, which means we have a chance. 

But, can our offense take advantage of an average defense? The Chiefs are not good in pass coverage. They get thrown on a lot for obvious reasons, but they also give up a ton of passing touchdowns and first downs. While they generate a ton of pressure, they don't get home a lot and they miss a ton of tackles. They also give up a lot of YAC.

Our offense actually has the advantage here. If the defense can prevent Mahomes from going full god-mode this Sunday, we could actually win this game. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Depends on who is playing. 

No Mooney Ward and a rusty Verrett would make this game very difficult to win. If Ward is good to go and so is Bosa, I think we have a shot. The Chief's RT is one of the worst in football.

If Bosa is good to go, which it seems like he is, he will be going against Wylie a lot, which means TE and RB help on the right side and Brown 1-on-1 most of the game against Omenihu, Ebukam, and Jackson. Any pressure to the left side of the offense could spell trouble for Mahomes. 

Hufanga has to pass a concussion test tomorrow and then he will be a go as well. 

Verrett won't be up next week. I am guessing he gets activated next week and is inactive vs the Rams and they see where he is at after the bye week. Then they determine if he will play this season or not.

Mooney is questionable but if he is a go, then game on.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hufanga has to pass a concussion test tomorrow and then he will be a go as well. 

Verrett won't be up next week. I am guessing he gets activated next week and is inactive vs the Rams and they see where he is at after the bye week. Then they determine if he will play this season or not.

Mooney is questionable but if he is a go, then game on.

If Mooney isn’t good for this weekend, we’re going to have Thomas, Lenoir, and Womack going against Mahomes, yikes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

I'm sure dontae will be in over one of those guys lol

I mean meh, it's more on the pass rush to get to Mahomes. In terms of pure talent, our corners even without Mooney should be okay. We have Jimmie back to match up with Kelce on big 3rd downs and that's more important. The Chiefs aren't a power running team either which helped kill us last week with the depleted DL. 

I could end up being wildly off on this one but I'm changing my pick to the Niners. The Chiefs are coming off two back to back emotional games and facing a team getting some of their big guns back with an emotional boost with the CMC trade. 

SF 27

KC 20

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean meh, it's more on the pass rush to get to Mahomes. In terms of pure talent, our corners even without Mooney should be okay. We have Jimmie back to match up with Kelce on big 3rd downs and that's more important. The Chiefs aren't a power running team either which helped kill us last week with the depleted DL. 

I could end up being wildly off on this one but I'm changing my pick to the Niners. The Chiefs are coming off two back to back emotional games and facing a team getting some of their big guns back with an emotional boost with the CMC trade. 

SF 27

KC 20

I'm not going to change my pick, but I don't think it'll be a blow out with these guys coming back. 24 - 15 chiefs 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to change my pick, but I don't think it'll be a blow out with these guys coming back. 24 - 15 chiefs 

I can see that but I think our offense does better and is able to control the game with the run game. KC struggles with the heavy sets that we utilize quite a bit.

Bosa and Jackson need big games. Pumped for Jimmie returning and we at least have a chance to slow Kelce down now. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I can see that but I think our offense does better and is able to control the game with the run game. KC struggles with the heavy sets that we utilize quite a bit.

Bosa and Jackson need big games. Pumped for Jimmie returning and we at least have a chance to slow Kelce down now. 

I'm really curious to see how that defensive front does against a good offensive line. Creed, Orland Brown, Thuney, Trey Smith (I'm assuming he's playing). Thats where you really see how good you're going to be. And right now, the NFC goes through Philly who has a great offensive line. If we want to get there, we have to show that we can win against those lines. 

• Like 3