Top 20 Wide Receivers Of The Last 20 Years?

BlaqOptic

So on November 16th Adam Rank sent out a pretty outlandish tweet that Antonio Brown is the best Wide Receiver of the last 20 years. Yes, he even made sure to say better than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. While that certainly is not true, it did bring up an interesting question as many respondents on Twitter proceeded to name their Top 10 to 20 Wide Receivers of the last 20 years and it brought back some great memories of some damn amazing Wide Receivers from '97 to '17. So, as a result, I want to know what your list of the top 20 Wide Receivers over the last 20 years is...

I have mine as follow...

01. Jerry Rice

02. Randy Moss

03. Larry Fitzgerald

04. Calvin Johnson

05. Steve Smith Sr.

06. Terrell Owens

07. Marvin Harrison

08. Torry Holt

09. Andre Johnson

10. Isaac Bruce

10. Tim Brown

11. Cris Carter

12. Jimmy Smith

13. Antonio Brown

14. Reggie Wayne

15. Anquan Boldin

16. Jimmy Smith

17. Brandon Marshall

18. Julio Jones

19. AJ Green

20. Chad Johnson

HM: Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Michael Irvin*, Demaryius Thomas, Rod Smith, Donald Driver

*Not enough years in timespan.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

So on November 16th Adam Rank sent out a pretty outlandish tweet that Antonio Brown is the best Wide Receiver of the last 20 years. Yes, he even made sure to say better than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. While that certainly is not true, it did bring up an interesting question as many respondents on Twitter proceeded to name their Top 10 to 20 Wide Receivers of the last 20 years and it brought back some great memories of some damn amazing Wide Receivers from '97 to '17. So, as a result, I want to know what your list of the top 20 Wide Receivers over the last 20 years is...

I have mine as follow...

01. Jerry Rice

02. Randy Moss

03. Larry Fitzgerald

04. Calvin Johnson

05. Steve Smith Sr.

06. Terrell Owens

07. Marvin Harrison

08. Torry Holt

09. Andre Johnson

10. Isaac Bruce

10. Tim Brown

11. Cris Carter

12. Jimmy Smith

13. Antonio Brown

14. Reggie Wayne

15. Anquan Boldin

16. Jimmy Smith

17. Brandon Marshall

18. Julio Jones

19. AJ Green

20. Chad Johnson

HM: Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Michael Irvin*, Demaryius Thomas, Rod Smith, Donald Driver

*Not enough years in timespan.

Your list isnt terrible, but I think it would be easier to divide these WRs into tiers rather than rank them in order.   For instance, you have Marvin Harrison at 7 and Antonio Brown at 13.   I think you could argue any of the players between 7 and 13 as being just as good as each other, and you could probably throw Reggie Wayne and Julio Jones on that list as well. 

And in terms of Jerry Rice, if we are just talking about the "last 20 years", then he probably shouldnt be on this list, or low on it.   I mean, if youre factoring in his entire career, then sure, he is at the tippy top....but if are just factoring in the years he played over the last 20 years (97-2004), he really isnt number 1 and not even sure top 20).    

That being said...

(NOTE, none of the players in the tiers are necessarily ranked, because as I said, I feel they are interchangable)

Tier 1 

Randy Hamstrings

Tier 2
Calvin Johnson  (Couldve put him on tier 1 as well, but I didnt think he ever hit the peaks Randy hit.)

Terrell Owens  (I couldve put him as high as tier 1 and as low as tier 4.    Talent wise, he is up thee with Randy.   However, factoring in EVERYTHING, I doubt Id take him over any of the players in tier 3 and some of the players in tier 4.   Dude was an idiot who sabotaged his own career and legacy because his ego was so big.   But even with that, he reached levels most WRs never reach)

Larry Fitzgerald

Tier 3

Marvin Harrison

Steve Smith

Antonio Brown

Julio Jones

Andre Johnson

Tim Brown

Cris Carter

Issac Bruce

Tier 4

AJ Green (could very well be in tier 3)

Brandon Marshall

Jimmy Smith

Chad Johnson

Tier 5

Anquan Boldin

Hines Ward

Donald Driver

49 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Brown has been a good 1 for sure but I'm not sure he's even among the top 5 receivers of the past 2 decades. He's not above Moss, Owens, Megatron, Fitzgerald or Harrison.

What makes Harrison better than Antonio Brown?     

Im not saying Brown is definitely better, but Harrison isnt definitely better than Brown either.   

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not saying Brown is definitely better, but Harrison isnt definitely better than Brown either.   

Harrison is the only one with splits comparable to James over this 5 year run. Like Brown has made a historic run but Harrison had a very similar one from 1999-04. That said, one was being thrown to from the 2nd GOAT and one had Roethlisberger.

Jerry Rice's play fell off significantly at this point 20 years ago.

1. Terrell Owens
2. Randy Moss
3. Larry Fitzegerald
4. Marvin Harrison
5. Antonio Brown
6. Torry Holt 

I'm too lazy to finish my list honestly. 

Honestly Moss and Owen are a coin flip for #2 and #3 of all time behind only Rice. Everyone else is behind them. Owens is pretty heavily underrated by most people.

I’ll have a crack... (Won’t group in tiers as this is not an all-time list)

(1997 - 2017)

1/2 - TO/Moss <> (Interchangeable)

3 - Calvin Johnson 

4 - Antonio Brown 

5 - Marvin Harrison 

6 - Larry Fitzgerald 

7 - Torry Holt

8 - Andre Johnson 

9 - Isaac Bruce 

10 - Steve Smith Sr.

11 - Julio Jones 

12 - Chad Johnson

13 - AJ Green

14 - Reggie Wayne

15 - Brandon Marshall 

16 - Tim Brown

17 - Cris Carter

18 - Jimmy Smith 

19 - Rod Smith

20 - Demaryius Thomas

(The best of Jerry Rice came before this period, & OBJ is too early in his career... HM - Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver)

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He has 3 more seasons of excellent play than Antonio Brown currently has. Even if you want to say Brown's peak is higher it is marginal while the gap in longevity of each's peak is definitely in Harrison's favor. Antonio is obviously well on his way to passing Harrison though.

To all these saying AB isn't "special" or not that great, I kind of understand since he's like Rice in that he doesn't jump out at you physically or with wow catches (sure, Rice managed to overcome that to the tune of earning the "GOAT" nickname, but he had to outproduced everybody by an outlandish amount).  However, I would disagree. Bit by bit there's nothing generational about him, perhaps, but the sum of the parts is truly special.  Very good hands, great speed, quick feet that allow him to run routes at an elite level and an ever growing football IQ that just enhances all of his other talents. I'd point to the Jaguars game where he sonned Ramsey (though Ramsey did bounce back to have a good 2nd half), possibly the best CB in the game. He just gets in and out of his breaks so smoothly, no missed beats, it's a fairly impossible task to stop him 1 on 1. 

edit: I don't even know if people were saying anything like that in this thread lol... Maybe this just poured over from the legacy thread over in gen. Oh well.

1. Randy Moss
  2. Terrell Owens
  3. Marvin Harrison
  4. Calvin Johnson
  5. Torry Holt
  6. Larry Fitzgerald
  7. Steve Smith
  8. Antonio Brown
  9. Andre Johnson
  10. Reggie Wayne
  11. Brandon Marshall
  12. Chad Johnson