Leisher's thoughts on changes that would help Packers right the ship and make the playoffs.

jleisher

Release Royce Newman LG and TE Tyler Davis.  Both players are not producing, so let's move on.  The OL could be BAK LT, Runyan LG, Myers C, Jenkins RG and Nijman RT.  The TE group will need a major make over next year.  With releasing Tyler Davis, you could replace him with a solid veteran TE that Rodgers loved.  In comes Jared Cook, old yes, but would come at a cheap price tag for remainder of the season and was productive last year.  A player that Rodgers has shown confidence in.  

Another group that needs depth is Edge/OLB, Gary and Smith need some help.  One minor FA signing might help, Dee Ford.  Veteran on the street would come cheap.  He wouldn't be asked to play major role but could add depth as the #4 OLB.  Another option, trade.  Two options to look at, Lorenzo Carter Falcons and Brian Burns Panthers.  My thought, offer Panthers the 2023 4th rd pick.  Now you have Gary, Smith and Burns as your top 3 pass rushers.  You might be able to get Carter for less knowing he's a rental player for this season.

Adding WR talent.  Many rumors and thoughts out there, here are mine.  Packers send Amari Rodgers WR/RS and a conditional 2024 pick to the Jets for Denzel Sims WR.  I believe Sims has more of an upside then Rodgers.  If Sims comes in and produces, send a 2024 6th rd pick to the Jets.  Now, to get a solid veteran.  Going to be hard to do with the Rodgers retiring at the end of this season rumors going around.  Odell Beckham, doubt he comes to Green Bay.  TY Hilton and Will Fuller are still out there and might had on the cheap this season.  

Some trade options, Kendrick Bourne NE, Chase Claypool Steelers and Jerry Jeudy Broncos.  True, Bourne would cost the least, would he be enough for Rodgers?  What would it take to get another team's #2 or #3 WR.  Draft pick wise, you're probably talking a 2nd to 3rd rd pick plus a player or two.  So, let's offer a 2024 5th rd pick to NE for Bourne.  Then send Samori Toure WR and 2023 3rd rd pick for Chase Claypool from the Steelers.  The WR group would be Claypool, Watkins, Lazard, Cobb, Doubs, SIms and Bourne.  The rookie Watson would go on the IR with his hamstring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm not sure cutting Newman and adding no one is going to boost Oline play, which I would argue is the weakest link in this chain so far this season.

Yeah bench him, that's fine. No reason to cut

• Like 1

I'm down with flipping the Panthers a 4'th round pick for a first round pick who has either outplayed Rashaan Gary in their respective careers, or is at least equal to Rashaan Gary in their respective careers.

Doubt they are, though.  But hey, let's be gentlemen here and flip them our third and have them throw in Derrick Brown as well.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm down with flipping the Panthers a 4'th round pick for a first round pick who has either outplayed Rashaan Gary in their respective careers, or is at least equal to Rashaan Gary in their respective careers.

Doubt they are, though.  But hey, let's be gentlemen here and flip them our third and have them throw in Derrick Brown as well.  

Do we really think a 3rd round pick gets us Brian Burns?

16 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Do we really think a 3rd round pick gets us Brian Burns?

No.  The offer to burns is a 4'th round, right?  So let's just give them that, and our third for Derrick Brown.  He's only a great young DL, so a third for him sounds about right, doesn't it?