How long until the Chiefs need to consider benching Alex Smith?

tonyto36

The Chiefs splits.

First five games:

5-0 record
33 PPG
123 rushing yards per game
Smith:  278 YPG, 75CMP%, 11TD 0 INT.  2.2 TDPG, 0 INTPG
22.2 points per game allowed

Past five games:

1-4
53 rushing yards per game
20 PPG
Smith:  211 YPG, 61CMP%, 7 TD, 3 INT.  1.4TDPG, 0.6 INTPG
21.6 points per game allowed

I think the Chiefs obvious best chance to win is still with Smith, but if the Chiefs fall to in the range of 6-6, 6-7, 7-7 do you consider benching Smith for Mahomes?  The Chiefs offense without Hunt putting up absurd numbers has left Smith to carry the offense and he has gone back to what he has been his entire career - a decent game manager who can't win games for you.  Mahomes was drafted for the future and to give the offense more of an explosive element.  As the league has adapted to the shot plays and gadget plays Reid has designed, and teams started game planning to stop Hunt, the offense has ground to a halt.  Mahomes upside is much better than Smith's and at some point you have to do something to try to reinvigorate the offense right?

If Smith continues to put up mediocre game manager stats for the next couple games and the Chiefs continue to slide, do you switch in Mahomes and hope for a spark?

Maybe I'm just still sad/mad/whatever with the performance today. But, this has to be Alex's last year in KC. Has to. As soon as you think he's taken that next step, he goes back to his old self or worse. If he struggles the first half next week, Reid needs to pull the plug and put in Mahomes. The fan base is getting restless now and I can already hear the booing at Arrowhead. I appreciate what Alex has done for the city on and off the field these past few years. But the team/city needs someone who tries to win and not be safe.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry but it's no coincidence that Alex Smith's Numbers/ overall play has diminished , now that Kareem Hunt has come back down to Earth. His first 5 weeks were absurd.

Maybe he should be benched too? In others words ,No.

Nail on the head. I think nobody expected Hunt early in the year and they weren't gameplanning as much for him. Now that they are things have tightened up on the Chiefs and more pressure is on Smith and we are back to business as usual.

4 hours ago, tom cody said:

Got to think his performance over the past few games have the Chiefs thinking about Mahomes as their #1 in 2018. I watched the Chiefs/Giants yesterday, Smith could have played so much better than he did.

Giants defense has been pretty bad this year.  Plus they lost some guys on their DL mid game.

I've been higher on Smith than most people in the past and it was weird because even with regression expected from the first five games, to me he looked worse than he has in the past.  Even by his past years standard he looked pretty bad.

Smith played poorly against the giants, but he hasn't been a major issue all year. He's still doing just fine. I have more problems with the defense for the Chiefs and Reid's playcalling...which has just become...I don't know even know the words to describe it. Smith has largely been fine (though again, that was a really bad game against the Giants). He's allowed to have bad games, just like anyone is. Nobody expected him to keep up what he was doing early on in the season, but now that he's not playing at that level doesn't mean the level he's at isn't even worth being the starter.

Lol no, don't bench Alex Smith.  It's a bad few games, but he's still been playing great over the whole year.  If he just keeps getting worse and worse, maybe you consider it, but you pretty much acknowledge the season is over if you do.

Archived