How long until the Chiefs need to consider benching Alex Smith?

tonyto36

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Smith played poorly against the giants, but he hasn't been a major issue all year. He's still doing just fine. I have more problems with the defense for the Chiefs and Reid's playcalling...which has just become...I don't know even know the words to describe it. Smith has largely been fine (though again, that was a really bad game against the Giants). He's allowed to have bad games, just like anyone is. Nobody expected him to keep up what he was doing early on in the season, but now that he's not playing at that level doesn't mean the level he's at isn't even worth being the starter.

The Giants scored 9 points yesterday.

Chiefs 5 game winning streak:  22.2 points per game allowed

Chiefs 5 game losing streak:  21.6 points per game allowed

The play calling is roughly the same as the beginning of the year.  The difference is that all the gimmick plays the Chiefs used to generate easy first downs and big plays have been eaten up by defenses.   Reid was manufacturing points for Smith and now has to just rely on Smith's ability and it's come way short.

3 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

The Giants scored 9 points yesterday.

Chiefs 5 game winning streak:  22.2 points per game allowed

Chiefs 5 game losing streak:  21.6 points per game allowed

The play calling is roughly the same as the beginning of the year.  The difference is that all the gimmick plays the Chiefs used to generate easy first downs and big plays have been eaten up by defenses.   Reid was manufacturing points for Smith and now has to just rely on Smith's ability and it's come way short.

You know that points per game doesn't mean that the playcalling is the same, right? 

But I digress. No, he shouldn't be benched. He's fine. He is what he's always been. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

You know that points per game doesn't mean that the playcalling is the same, right? 

You said you had problems with the defense.  I gave you statistics that prove the defense hasn't been the issue.  The defense has been BETTER during the five game losing streak.

And I was just giving my evaluation of the play calling over the past 10 games.

I was right about Smith and Chiefs cratering when it looked like they were the leagues best team.  Trust my evaluation this time around. ;) 

About 24 of the 32 starting QB's are going to have issues if the offense is only averaging 53 rush yards per game.  That's on the offensive line and the offensive coordinator as well as Smith.  The Bengals have the worst rushing game in the NFL this season.  They average 68 yards rushing per game.

33 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

You said you had problems with the defense.  I gave you statistics that prove the defense hasn't been the issue.  The defense has been BETTER during the five game losing streak.

And I was just giving my evaluation of the play calling over the past 10 games.

I was right about Smith and Chiefs cratering when it looked like they were the leagues best team.  Trust my evaluation this time around. ;) 

My bad, for some reason I misread the points per as scored rather than allowed so I thought that you were using that as support of the play calling lol. The defense has been bad all season- that's not a new one. It's a concern I had after the injury to Berry, a concern that I have moving forward. 

But the point about Smith is still the same. He's basically being what he always is and has been at this point and has largely been just fine. Still better than half the quarterbacks in the nfl. They just happened to get an amazing run out of him to start the season. I don't think that you bench him because you happen to be disappointed that he's reverting to himself and giving you the level of play that you expected to begin with before being surprised by the monster open to the start of the season, if that makes sense. If your original expectation was that you were getting the player you are now, then I don't see the issue. 

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

It would be pretty dumb to bench him. He's still a very good QB. A couple down games didn't change that. 

Yeah but he can't play in bad weather, he reverts to Cassel-levels of ineptitude

Compare his day to Eli...wasn't that much better but Eli could at least throw some lasers.

How are you supposed to win in January with throws like this?

He's fallen off to a rate of 107.6

Don't listen to goofballs or anecdotal evidence.

An entire season can be skewed by outliers. You'd call those a career year.

Smith first six years was a 76 passer rating

Smith next six years has a 94 passer rating

Matt Cassel post NE has a 76 passer rating

Smith was putting up 90+ ratings with almost no big play passes. People would say it's because he wasn't capable of doing that. He did it to an outlier degree to start the year. Why he had a 125 rating.

This kinda sums up fan bases and how they look at their team.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt.

I can still remember a 49ers fan saying Kaepernick's floor was Alex Smith's ceiling.

Archived