Week 7 GDT: Broncos at home vs Jets

Dbrog24

Was traveling this weekend but had time to see the game.    Obvious thoughts: 

1.   D was amazing.    Breece Hall run was the only breakdown.    Mathis bounced back in a big way after MNF - good to see.   Browning was disruptive until he got hurt.  The D was again asked to stay out way too long.  

2.  Rypien is who he is - competent backup.   But the arm limitations and reads weren’t there (got Jeudy nearly killed on bad read and trailing the reads to attack Sauce with Sutton / Hamler weren’t sound but thats why he’s the backup).   As long as he’s cheap nothing wrong with that.      But his limitations were pretty obvious to see.  

3.  The OL played better but the fact NYJ DL was decimated - needs to be accounted for.  

4.   Jeudy & Dulcich were by far our best players on O.    For all the frustration ppl show to Jeudy he’s the guy who just separates.    And different than the past history - he showed no problems after getting blasted hard (horrific call given NYJ playing press and read by Rypien).   As raw as Dulcich is to NFL speed he’s also clearly our best TE out there.     Hopefully they go his way more early.   Sutton with another quiet game - but this is the type of game he’s going to struggle with - great cover CB’s he’s not going to separate.   It’s why having Sutton / Jeudy as the combo matters.  They win in such different ways.    

5.  Play calling side Hackett gets another D.   I get he wanted to contract the game with Rypien at QB - but again he lacked any real aggression when we had the ball in great field position.   Run run pass / run run pass.    He just has zero ability to think creatively.  And that TO challenge early was crazy bad.    He’s still so overmatched.    It’s honestly just a matter of when IMO.    Black Monday is so far away.   

6.   McManus missed XP also on Waitman hold but still gets his share    Waitman didn’t have a great game either.   But they weren’t the real problem.  

It’s tough because I’d much rather we beat JAX.   But the longer this team is under Hackett the worse this gets long term.    I’d love to hear Paton is making the call today but given we’re traveling I sincerely doubt it.    The player talent on D and the skill position talent I’m on board with.  

Today kinda showed the issue isn’t just Russell Wilson (he owns his share esp for IND / 2H LAC L and HOU W 1H) but it’s so painfully clear Hackett isn’t the answer.   Overall until Hackett’s gone this isn’t going to get fixed on O and mindset wise.   Hopefully Paton realizes this isn’t getting better and it’s a matter of when.   

Edited by Broncofan

Another trash performance from our favorite offense. There's not much more to say. Defense once again did more than enough to win, but we're going to continue to be handcuffed by inept playcalling, inexperience, injuries, and general disinterest on behalf of some of the players.

Worth noting Raider's game we had 12 first downs, and 4/13 on 3rd and 4th downs. Colts game we were 3/17 on 3rd and 4th downs with 18 first downs. Chargers game, 13 first downs, 4/14 on 3rd and 4th downs....this game we had 21 first downs and 6/19 on 3rd and 4th downs. We definitely moved the chains more so does this mean Rypien is our savior? No....his long ball accuracy is Lock-esc but there are things to learn. He lived on the short-mid passes which Russ consistently doesn't go for. If a play develops, he's always going long ball or just back to LOS. These little chips on early downs set us up for much better positions on the field and gave the run game a chance to actually work. This also would work to bring defenses closer so that Russ could throw his trademark long-balls.

Side note: I really hope we don't trade Hamler for peanuts. Ya he's quite animated and salty on the field, but he's one of the ones who is consistently open for good gains. I'd be pissed too. I know this was also an abnormally good game for Jeudy too, but he still gives us an element that our other receivers don't and what's really the point trading him anyway if we then just use the pick to fill the same hole?