NFL Playoff Race

titans0021

21 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I have my own issues with Mularkey -- his decisions this offseason will be very telling -- but I don't know how much I agree with the bold. I know the playoffs are a completely different animal and I'd be admittedly very nervous to see him against BB (to go to that extreme), but I don't see him being blatantly outcoached for durations of games all that often. We are winning close games that we typically lose. Does he have the killer instinct? No, but the resiliency this team has shown week in and week out since last year is astounding. He whooped McCarthy and came back to beat Reid. Beat Harbaugh this year and has been winning in the division this season.

I think it's easy to forget how hard it is to win in the NFL, especially in the division. All division games are going to be tough. You see the teams 2x a year every year. They know each other inside and out. Like last night on MNF, Big Ben said it best at the end of the game: AFC North football. Now he meant a lot by that, but it's so hard to go into a divisional team's house and win. Mularkey is winning games at an impressive rate -- aren't we 16-8 in our last 24 games? 66% win percentage right there.

I get the issues, big time...but not every turnaround is as sexy as the Rams this year or the Saints once Brees/Payton came. Our turnaround has been ugly, but a turnaround nonetheless. Demons from our past are slowly disappearing

frankly, i'd be really happy with the job mularkey has done if not for this utterly anemic offense. and i'm not certain how much of that is on him vs. robiskie

20 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

frankly, i'd be really happy with the job mularkey has done if not for this utterly anemic offense. and i'm not certain how much of that is on him vs. robiskie

It's Mularkey.  It's his scheme, what he believes in.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/7hiwys/a_look_at_mike_mularkeys_offense_in_2009/

My biggest issue with Mularkey and Robiskie is stubbornness. They have to get Murray more carries regardless the result. Henry only gets carries when it’s his designed drive to get them. Only when we are trying to run out the clock like vs Seattle will be rotate them both in an out to keep them fresh to finish of the game I wish we would see more of that 

17 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

my eyes!!

From Cowboy_Dan on reddit who was even contacted by the Titans to scout for them.

We always debate about how much of the offense is based around Mularkey vs Robiskie. I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at a full game in which Mularkey was the offensive coordinator with the Falcons.

I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet, but it feels about as bad as I remembered. It's basically the Titans offense as it is today. Tons of condensed formations with receivers rarely outside the numbers. Even their shotgun plays have guys barely lined up outside the hashmarks. Lot's of vertical isolation routes. With Matt Ryan being a much different QB that Mariota, a lot of their biggest plays were from just heaving the ball down the field in 1 on 1 situations.

I'm trying to find some film from his Steelers years to see how that compares as well. Just thought it might be a fun watch for football junkies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/7hiwys/a_look_at_mike_mularkeys_offense_in_2009/

I truly believe being battle tested in these close games, and the fact that we have been able to pull out a win in basically every close game, will benefit us come playoff time. Gotta learn how to play with your backs against the wall. 

That being said, it would be nice to blow a team or 2 out. lol 

2 hours ago, footlunder said:

And I know this is the Playoff thread, so I don't want to derail it from that too hard.

But something to keep in mind with his offense...
Offense went from 29th to 10th a year after hiring Murlakey as OC (Also Ryan's first year).
2008-10th scoring offense.
2009- 13th scoring
2010- 5th scoring
2011- 7th scoring

He was named assistant coach of the year and Offensive Coordinator of the Year in 2010
Even when he got hired in Buffalo he took 30th scoring offense to the 7th ranked scoring offense.

Even here, we went from the 28th ranked scoring offense to 14th in his first full year as HC. 

The Steelers were 17 ranked scoring before him. After he took over in 2001:
2001- 7th in Scoring
2002- 8th in scoring
2003-19th in scoring
2004- 11th in Scoring

As much as we all, me included, complain about the offense , he has got results for the majority of his coaching career.  Outside of busted stints in Florida with the Dolphins and Jags, he has produced.  If you were to eliminate his name from this production and say it was the next up and coming OC, I would be curious to see how many would still dislike him. 

All that to say.......lol
Let's make the playoffs. :) 

The people who criticize Mularkey's offense during his stints as OC have never made sense to me. The guy, as an offensive coordinator, is one of the most consistent coaches in the NFL(as the stats King posted show). Of course his offense has remained mostly the same..because it's worked the same everywhere.

Robiskie is gone after this season I imagine, he himself has stated Mularkey isn't happy with how he's calling the games and King's source said Mularkey was unhappy with him.

If we keep Robiskie next season I'll start being concerned about Mularkey. Jason Garret might be available who has worked with Mularkey before(forget who here pointed that out, but props to them for that), Tom Clements is out there as well who has worked with Mularkey. So even if Mularkey wants to stick with guys he knows, should be a couple decent options out there. Jason Michaels on the staff already as well.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Even here, we went from the 28th ranked scoring offense to 14th in his first full year as HC. 

As much as we all, me included, complain about the offense , he has got results for the majority of his coaching career.  Outside of busted stints in Florida with the Dolphins and Jags, he has produced.  If you were to eliminate his name from this production and say it was the next up and coming OC, I would be curious to see how many would still dislike him. 

So, what you're saying is he should continue to be an OC.  And no, you can't overlook his horrid HC record prior to Strunk gifting him this job.   

And in his second full year as HC for the Titans, our offense is moving in the wrong direction. Ranked 18th with a -16 point differential.  Bummer.

Really looking forward to the last 4 games of the season.  Probably going to be our toughest stretch.  Doubt the offense becomes more consistent unless Murray is near 100%.  He is the engine and center of this offense. 

40 minutes ago, footlunder said:

So, what you're saying is he should continue to be an OC.  And no, you can't overlook his horrid HC record prior to Strunk gifting him this job.   

And in his second full year as HC for the Titans, our offense is moving in the wrong direction. Ranked 18th with a -16 point differential.  Bummer.

Really looking forward to the last 4 games of the season.  Probably going to be our toughest stretch.  Doubt the offense becomes more consistent unless Murray is near 100%.  He is the engine and center of this offense. 

I'm not overlooking it and Robsike is our OC running Murlakey's offense it seems. I think we should get a new OC, but if are winning I don't know the chances of doing so.  
Putting it in perspective.  1 year as OC in Miami with Nick Saban with busted Culpepper as the QB and then 1 year in Jacksonville with Gabbert pushed on him. I don't think Sean Payton would have done much with those teams.  In Buffalo things were going up until managment made him play JP Lossman instead of Bleadsoe. 
Anyway.....been through all that...lol  Why does every thread end up questioning Murlakey as HC.  

I'm interested in seeing what if any effect Luke Stocker has on the team and if the upward trend of running continues. We did run the ball better against the Texans. If we can run the ball, these last 4 games look good for us and the chances of us in the playoffs is great! :) 

Forget Mularkeys current record... Let's focus on his record prior to coming here...

Forget the chart that's shown him adjust his approach based on personnel (ya know, like when he ran run-heavier schemes in Pitt, and went pass-heavier in Atl).

Even last month someone argued that we need to stop living in the past (in reference to the Jag game from earlier this year), that last year's Dec game against them had more bearing.

I accept that our offense is struggling... I accept that a change in OC could increase our effectiveness... I get it, it doesn't need to be "sold" any further. Yet we continue to hear some of these weak ace arguments that just dont add up.

We do have our hardest stretch of games. AZ in AZ is no joke. They just beat the mighty, mighty Jags less than 14 days ago. 

Then @ SF appears to be the easiest game... But that's also not going to be "easy". They're a young team that seems to be coming together. They've won 2 of their last 3... But most importantly is that west coast trip. Avoiding the back to back trips out there was the right decision... But changing that routine of going home, sleeping in your own bed, being with the fam, practicing in your own facility... That's never easy either ( and why teams only do this when necessary).

Then finish with the Rams and Jags at home... I mean, what more do we need to say about that? Both teams may be at 10 wins by that point.

Going 4-0 is just as likely as them going 0-4... Slim but possible. 2-2 is more probable and will be enough for the playoffs. 3-1 gives me confidence going into the playoffs... And likely means a home playoff game. 

I know we have been squeaking by sub par teams, but the most important thing is we have been winning and, while he has been rough the beginning of the game, Mariota has shown that clutch gene to drive us down in these close games to get the W.

We have also played 4 games vs teams with a winning record and are 3-1 in those games. We have 2 more games vs teams with a winning record schedule and if the Raiders keep winning that would give us 7 games vs teams with a winning record this year. So the argument that we don't have any good wins or haven't played good teams isn't all that accurate. How many other teams will play at least 6 winning teams in one year? At the very least, we will go 3-3 in those 6 games.

Archived