49ers trade for Christian McCaffery

GW21

9 hours ago, John232 said:

Not happy about it. But not surprised we’re sinking picks into an injury prone player at a position that is a notch above kicker and punter in terms of value. 

Not sure if this has been said, but he's almost a WR.. usually I would agree with you but CMC is different imo. None of our RBs are really a threat out of the backfield, besides deebo of course. This adds all kinds of new dimensions..

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm with John and 757 I believe who is meh about it. Draft pick mismanagement and salary cap as well now when we aren't winning the sb this year. 

Side note I do have to go play madden now though

You can probably say that about even the best perceived team and the odds wouldn't be in your favor. Especially with one BYE now per conference. 

But really, are you already giving up on the season at 3-3 in a wide open NFC and the 49ers acquiring maybe the best runningback in the league to help the offense? 

There have been worse teams that have won mate :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You can probably say that about even the best perceived team and the odds wouldn't be in your favor.

But really, are you already giving up on the season at 3-3 in a wide open NFC and the 49ers acquiring maybe the best runningback in the league to help the offense? o_o

Giving up is the wrong terminology but with our injury issues and the fact I don't trust our secondary, I don't have high hopes. Pessimism has served me well in life though too. Don't expect anything and be happy when things go your way. 

lol what? Lance is an oft-injured QB? He didn't miss a game in college. These writers are just embarrassing sometimes. He has a point about McCaffrey having trouble staying healthy lately, but he was pretty durable prior to the COVID season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GW21 said:

lol what? Lance is an oft-injured QB? He didn't miss a game in college. These writers are just embarrassing sometimes. He has a point about McCaffrey having trouble staying healthy lately, but he was pretty durable prior to the COVID season. 

Yeah, but he's had 3 injuries in 5 NFL games and two preseasons 

Not a big enough sample that he's injury prone (Stafford missed a bunch of time his first two years before not missing another game for like 8 years), but so far he's kind of showing he can't stay healthy in the NFL

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but he's had 3 injuries in 5 NFL games and two preseasons 

Not a big enough sample that he's injury prone (Stafford missed a bunch of time his first two years before not missing another game for like 8 years), but so far he's kind of showing he can't stay healthy in the NFL

Yeah, I understand that. What he said was that we mortgaged our future for and oft-injured QB. We mortgaged our future for a QB who had missed 0 time due to injuries in college. No one can see into the future. Framing it the way he did just makes him sound like a moron imo.

We 'mortgaged our future' as soon as we moved up and took him at #3, at which point he hadn't had a single injury issue that I'm aware of. We didn't 'mortgage our future' a year and a half after we drafted him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Now we have both of the best wide-backs in the league.  I wonder who the third best is?  Cordelle Patterson?  Percy Harvin

He's long gone. I think Patterson would be the next best. Ben Skowronek would definitely be up there too I would imagine. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, I understand that. What he said was that we mortgaged our future for and oft-injured QB. We mortgaged our future for a QB who had missed 0 time due to injuries in college. No one can see into the future. Framing it the way he did just makes him sound like a moron imo.

We 'mortgaged our future' as soon as we moved up and took him at #3, at which point he hadn't had a single injury issue that I'm aware of. We didn't 'mortgage our future' a year and a half after we drafted him. 

If trading for lance was mortgaging the future, then trading for McCaffery is like a home improvement loan.  

I think Shanny also wanted Deebo to get back to being less of a decoy and more involved in the intermediate area. Deebo was often times just used to hold a DB in the flats and that has been the case since midway of 2021. 

I still expect Shanny to get creative with Deebo and CMC in the backfield but now we have a true dual threat to take pressure off Deebo. 

Once Mitchell returns, this instantly becomes at worst a top 2 backfield. I hope Shanny utilizes both backs and doesn't run CMC to the ground. No need to with Mitchell there. 

• Like 4