Fire Dennis Allen

gen. manager

2 hours ago, SWATcha said:

That would be, interesting, to say the least. I keep thinking he'll angle his way for the Chargers job, or less likely, the Cowboys.

If the Chargers keep winning and make a playoff run, they'll not be needing a new HC. Same with the Cowboys.

I was a little tired of SP the last few years and things were seeming stale to me. I guess I didn't appreciate him until now, and I can now see what a difference maker he was.

That said, I'd be surprised if he comes back. 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, gen. manager said:

Ken Dorsey as the head coach? Meh. But I think you’re video game operating there. Leslie Frazier wouldn’t leave Buffalo to come to New Orleans. Ben Johnson wouldn’t make a lateral move to New Orleans, same with the other coaches you mentioned.

The defensive line coach and linebacker coach this team has aren’t the issues. The wide receiver coach definitely isn’t the issue. Dennis Allen and Peter Carmichael. There are your issues. Throw Mickey Loomis in there in my opinion too. I’m not sure that guy can really operate a franchise as a general manager. Sean Payton ran the operation while he was here. 

I'm not sure what the video game comment means, but okay.

I threw out a fun "wishlist" type thing, and you throw back speculation basically saying no one would want to come to NOLA.

I'll argue with you (all in fun, of course) that our D-line has been mediocre and could use some help. If their positions coach is any good, the HC doesn't matter (at least not much) unless the entire team has given up on that coach.

I'm kinda shocked that you don't think our WR coach is an issue. Olave is playing on college coaching and natural ability. The rest of our WR's - with minimal exception - are playing like turds. I'd love to see a stat on our drops this season. Mega lack of focus and technique. Routes look like crap. Can't get open (reoccurring theme here). That sure seems like a positions issue more than a HC or OC issue. Those guys call the plays, and the other coaches are responsible for tools technique.

As far a Carmichael goes, he's got a major lack of imagination. He just calls bonehead plays and can't create any tempo.

29 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

If the Chargers keep winning and make a playoff run, they'll not be needing a new HC. Same with the Cowboys.

I was a little tired of SP the last few years and things were seeming stale to me. I guess I didn't appreciate him until now, and I can now see what a difference maker he was.

They were stale. I think even Payton himself would maybe admit to it. It was the tail end of a great run for the Saints. IF he were to return, maybe the time away is what he needed to re-energize himself. 

Saints are a rebuild in progress though. No 1st, so no QB until next year at the earliest, unless taking on a reclamation project like Zach Wilson (please God no) or something similar. They're still clearing dead cap space from years past. They're still saddled with a few bad contracts. Just not sure the situation is attractive enough to lure him (or any really good coach for that matter) back. I think the Saints are at minimum 2 to 3 years away from being truly competitive again. (Assuming all the stars align, or at least semi align).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

As far a Carmichael goes, he's got a major lack of imagination. He just calls bonehead plays and can't create any tempo.

Playcalling has been pretty bad all year, but man, it really showed (for me at least) in that Buccs game. If it didn't work the first 8x.....why would the 9th be the charm? Like you said, no imagination. No creativity, no ability to adjust to what a defense is doing against you. I'm ok with Pete packing his bags...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

With the Cowboys it's more about how they perform/don't perform in the playoffs.  They could end the season 14-3 but if they get booted in the first round of the playoffs heads will roll.  The Chargers did it to Marty years ago after years of dominating the conference with 12-14 win seasons but unable to get it done in the playoffs.

I think the worst failure of Pete was his usage of Taysom Hill. The guy provided a spark almost every time they used him in games and in far too many losses he was held to 1-2 carries and a target. Just horrible mismanagement of a guy who can provide some electricity to a stagnant offense. This is one of the worst coached teams I've ever seen and it's really depressing considering the high hopes we all had coming into the season. 

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, this season has killed so much of my already waning interest in football (that happens when your team has a Super Bowl appearance stolen from you). Such a bleak season without even the reward of a high pick. First year of our GOAT era being firmly over with no Brees or Payton. Meanwhile in my favorite sport the Pels are good for the first time in forever, so I haven't really watched any football this year. I'm down for a total reset if Payton doesn't want to come back, it's clear Saints culture was Payton culture and Allen hasn't been able to maintain it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Kingram said:

I think the worst failure of Pete was his usage of Taysom Hill. The guy provided a spark almost every time they used him in games and in far too many losses he was held to 1-2 carries and a target. Just horrible mismanagement of a guy who can provide some electricity to a stagnant offense. This is one of the worst coached teams I've ever seen and it's really depressing considering the high hopes we all had coming into the season. 

Taysom Hills usage has almost always been a gripe of mine. Dude is a pro bowl talent on ST and as a runner and he’s usually on the sidelines 

20 hours ago, Dome said:

Taysom Hills usage has almost always been a gripe of mine. Dude is a pro bowl talent on ST and as a runner and he’s usually on the sidelines 

Yep. As I look back on this season… I honestly find it hard to blame Dennis Allen more than Pete. I think Allen is probably an average to above average HC and Pete Carmichael has been one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league.

I think if you bring in a good OC this team is a playoff team next year. 

2 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Yep. As I look back on this season… I honestly find it hard to blame Dennis Allen more than Pete. I think Allen is probably an average to above average HC and Pete Carmichael has been one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league.

I think if you bring in a good OC this team is a playoff team next year. 

Pete has to go… it was like watching a madden game where he was only choosing one of the three recommended plays and they kept popping up over and over 

8 hours ago, Dome said:

That said I’ve watched maybe 10 quarters of football this year, random sections of games I happen to see on 

You’re very correct. Super conservative. Game plans rarely made a lot of sense, the lack of Taysom when the offense was struggling was mind boggling. 

20 hours ago, Dome said:

That said I’ve watched maybe 10 quarters of football this year, random sections of games I happen to see on 

I did watch the Cleveland game because, well, I wanted to see another Watson loss, and I'm thrilled the Saints could be that team.

Carmichael calls some of the weirdest plays at the weirdest times, and then once something starts working, he goes in a different direction. It's really bad. He doesn't use Taysom or Kamara properly, and has no idea how to get the run game going enough to set up any play action.

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I did watch the Cleveland game because, well, I wanted to see another Watson loss, and I'm thrilled the Saints could be that team.

Carmichael calls some of the weirdest plays at the weirdest times, and then once something starts working, he goes in a different direction. It's really bad. He doesn't use Taysom or Kamara properly, and has no idea how to get the run game going enough to set up any play action.

I don’t think he even knows that screen passes exist most games.

• Like 1