Fire Dennis Allen

gen. manager

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Fire Loomis too IMHO. He's been getting hosed in trades for years and put you in dire straits with the salary cap.

The CGJ trade bothered me as I would have rather just kept him instead of getting the late draft pick this year, but I get why we did it. We wouldn’t have been able to sign him after the season and at least got something out of it. CGJ also comes with a lot of attitude and wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more that went on behind the scenes with him. Outside of that, Loomis has been very good for us over the years consistently helping us put together quality teams.

Loomis has done great with the draft over the years especially with picks outside of the 1st round. For example, many Saints fans (including myself) were scratching their heads when we picked Alontae Taylor in the 2nd round this year. Yet he’s immediately stepped in for us as a rookie and looks like he’s going to be our next stud DB. Or finding another impact undrafted player such as Rashid Shaheed that legitimately looks like he could be our #2/#3 WR for years to come with how’s he been developing as the season has gone on. 

Even when we lose a good player due to cap reasons over the years, it seems like we draft a quality replacement very soon after more often than not. In other words, our ability to draft well over the years has prevented this “kick the can down the road” strategy from really blowing up on our face.

Edited by tyler735

I think Loomis gets a pass as he does a great job with cap management making the impossible happen and the drafts haven't been bad.  Even this past draft where everyone was fretting over giving up the 1st this year as it looked like it might've been a top 5 pick can't complain nearly as much considering the recent wins has moved it to currently the #10 pick which is still a better pick than what we got, but outside of a QB, which honestly I don't know if I'd want a 1st round QB that isn't Stroud or Young this year which wouldn't be at #10, I don't know if there would be a player with the same potential as Penning there.  Obviously if Penning busts it's going to feel bad, but the same risk would be there if we kept this year's pick instead of getting Penning and it still busted.  Right now we got a head start on what is hopefully our franchise LT to develop.  The injury was a setback but he's still getting some playing time now and I expect it to increase even more next year once he has more time to build cohesion with the rest of the OL.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, Danger said:

Fire Loomis too IMHO. He's been getting hosed in trades for years and put you in dire straits with the salary cap.

Salary cap has really never prevented the Saints from retaining someone they wanted to. CGJ was a bad return but he put us in a terrible spot by basically becoming malcontent a few weeks before the season started and demanding he be paid like a top end safety. Also, by all accounts he's made some nice plays but also been roasted often at FS so I'm not losing sleep over that deal. Especially when Mathieu was good for us and it opened up time for Alontae Taylor.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kingram said:

So... Rumor mill is that SP is returning...and his top choice is the Saints. That would be a blessing from the man himself and it might be the only situation where you can actually retain DA as a DC, as you can pitch it as an interim HC spot.

SP back as head coach?? Grapevine at best, I think. Although, it'd be rather interesting to see a SP led Saints with DA at DC(that's his pinnacle). Fire Carmichael or hell, the entire offensive staff. Let SP groom, if he comes back... WHICH IS HIGHLY DOUBTFUL, why? Simple answer is no Drew Brees. 

My opinon, take it or leave it.

6 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

SP back as head coach?? Grapevine at best, I think. Although, it'd be rather interesting to see a SP led Saints with DA at DC(that's his pinnacle). Fire Carmichael or hell, the entire offensive staff. Let SP groom, if he comes back... WHICH IS HIGHLY DOUBTFUL, why? Simple answer is no Drew Brees. 

My opinon, take it or leave it.

Yeah it’s unlikely but that’s the reports. I mean, who needs a HC that’s a better situation? I don’t think Denver, Indianapolis or Arizona are better situations than New Orleans.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:36 PM, Kingram said:

Yeah it’s unlikely but that’s the reports. I mean, who needs a HC that’s a better situation? I don’t think Denver, Indianapolis or Arizona are better situations than New Orleans.

Dallas?  

47 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Unless they get curb stomped in the Wild Card round I don't think McCarthy is going anywhere.

I think they just need to lose in the WC round.  It's not a secret that Jerry Jones has loved Payton for the longest time so I think with him being available and ready to come back to coaching he'd be perfectly happy making the upgrade in coaching staff.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Sounds like Arizona, Dallas, and Chargers are his 3 most likely destinations if we trade him. 

Worst case scenario because I don't think Cowboys or Chargers are firing McCarthy or Staley. Cardinals pick will be top 5 so we aren't getting that. Worst case is we end up with like a 2nd and 4th from Arizona.

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

Worst case scenario because I don't think Cowboys or Chargers are firing McCarthy or Staley. Cardinals pick will be top 5 so we aren't getting that. Worst case is we end up with like a 2nd and 4th from Arizona.

I think the Chargers are the only one I’d be surprised by at this point. I don’t think Jones has much patience for McCarthy unless they go really deep into the playoffs. I’d be frustrated if we don’t come away with at least 1st round pick even if it was a 2024 1st round pick from the Cardinals. Based off what big name coaches have gone for in the past 1st round pick should be the bare minimum with other picks being involved as well.

22 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I think the Chargers are the only one I’d be surprised by at this point. I don’t think Jones has much patience for McCarthy unless they go really deep into the playoffs. I’d be frustrated if we don’t come away with at least 1st round pick even if it was a 2024 1st round pick from the Cardinals. Based off what big name coaches have gone for in the past 1st round pick should be the bare minimum with other picks being involved as well.

It'll be a leverage thing. If SP says he'll coach in Arizona and they're the only team calling we don't really have much leverage in the situation. Loomis won't tell SP to screw and stay in TV as they're close.