Prospects sitting out bowl games

smokeybandit

1 minute ago, LaserFocus said:

No, Christian McCaffrey didn't have a job at Stanford. You misunderstood the context of my post.

I completely understand the context of your post. What he did is no different than what all successful people do. McCaffrey was just thinking at another level most players at his age don't. Likely because of his father's advice. And you guessed it, he is a very successful person. 

Tom Brady was a mid tier guy who helped himself in the 2000 Orange Bowl. Brady's draft stock was hurt by his poor combine performance.

LenDale White was a mid round guy who had an explosive Rose Bowl in 2005, outperforming Reggie Bush in the loss. His performance elevated him to the 2nd round, where he proceeded to bust out at the Pro level.

In that same game, Vince Young went from a mid first/early second round project QB to a top prospect in the 2005 draft, where he proceeded to bust out at the Pro level.

Just now, CalhounLambeau said:

I completely understand the context of your post. What he did is no different than what all successful people do. McCaffrey was just thinking at another level most players at his age don't. Likely because of his father's advice. And you guessed it, he is a very successful person. 

I've never met a successful person who didn't meet a challenge in their current situation, and quit instead. McCaffrey wasn't a pro yet, big difference. Show me the proof Ed McCaffrey suggested his son bail out on his college teammates.

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. By the time bowl season rolls around, teams have already detailed out their scouting reports on the majority of guys. I'd be wary of a mid tier guy having a big bowl game, actually - that's a lot like a guy balling out during a contract season, then reverting back to form after he secures his deal.

Or it could be a sign that the guy has a high ceiling despite his "mid-tier" status. 

Really depends on your scouting department. Can we figure out if this kid has that work ethic needed to reach his potential. 

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Even then - with most of these guys, you've already seen them in a bowl game of some sort. Heck, McCaffrey set a Rose Bowl record with 368 total YFS before his Junior year, which was the fourth highest yardage total in ANY bowl. What more does he have to prove, at a lesser bowl no less?

I know you kind of see eye to eye with me on this, but wanted to remind people; McCaffrey literally had nothing more to prove to anyone.

You rarely see a great NFL player who didn't love to compete, even in practice, where injuries can also happen. It's in the DNA of these players, and judging from McCaffrey's struggles in running the ball in the NFL, maybe he wasn't as polished as many thought. What people don't understand is the hundreds and thousands of hours these players spend in college with teammates and coaches. We're talking about real relationships, and the ending of a college career is also the end of a chapter in ones life. When a 100% healthy star player decides to bail on his team, it's simply wrong. Of the hundreds of players drafted, only a microscopic number have ever had serious injuries in a bowl game. And that Sun Bowl wasn't meaningless for Stanford. Now there's talk some high school senior players may consider this losing approach.

You rarely see a great NFL player who didn't love to compete, even in practice, where injuries can also happen. It's in the DNA of these players, and judging from McCaffrey's struggles in running the ball in the NFL, maybe he wasn't as polished as many thought. What people don't understand is the hundreds and thousands of hours these players spend in college with teammates and coaches. We're talking about real relationships, and the ending of a college career is also the end of a chapter in ones life. When a 100% healthy star player decides to bail on his team, it's simply wrong. Of the hundreds of players drafted, only a microscopic number have ever had serious injuries in a bowl game. And that Sun Bowl wasn't meaningless for Stanford. Now there's talk some high school senior players may consider this losing approach.

Clearly NFL teams didn't care. And if they don't care then it isn't wrong because they are the only one's whose thoughts matter in this situation.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Clearly NFL teams didn't care. And if they don't care then it isn't wrong because they are the only one's whose thoughts matter in this situation.

NFL teams aren't concerned with college teams,  all they care about are the players. We'll see how McCafrey's career turns out, right now, he's a disappointment. 

3 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

I've never met a successful person who didn't meet a challenge in their current situation, and quit instead. McCaffrey wasn't a pro yet, big difference. Show me the proof Ed McCaffrey suggested his son bail out on his college teammates.

If you can say "I have no doubt if we used lie detectors on everyone in Stanford's football program, they would be disappointed in McCaffery." Then I can safely speculate that Christian McCaffrey's Stanford graduate and NFL veteran father, right hand and guiding light through life heavily influenced his decision to start to prepare for the NFL. 

Whether Christian McCaffrey was a professional or not makes no difference. He was at one level, believed rightfully so that he was going to level up so he gave his notice and left Stanford to work even harder to achieve other goals. That's modern life. Somehow its terrible because McCaffrey did in football when it acceptable in almost every other situation. Your whole emotional, childish and flawed argument makes no sense in reality.

Christian McCaffrey didn't fail to meet a challenge. He touched the ball 10,000 times. He played in a bowl game before. He put himself in harms way more than any other player at Stanford for two years. He outworked everyone there. He had his own workout regimen at Stanford outside of what everyone else there did. He took an insanely difficult course load. He maxed out three seasons of college like almost nobody else in the history of CFB at his position. He had $11 million dollars waiting for him. He was thinking about the future of himself and his family. Give me a break with all this sanctimonious baloney, dude. 

Christian McCaffrey has $11 million in his bank account. Works his *** off everyday in the NFL. Has earned the respect of everyone in the Carolina Panthers organization. 

A successful person in my book. 

I'm not going to call a dude who risked breaking neck thousands of times in college a quitter. Go for it if you wish. 

6 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

NFL teams aren't concerned with college teams,  all they care about are the players. We'll see how McCafrey's career turns out, right now, he's a disappointment. 

He's a rookie on pace for over 1,000 yfs and 8 TDs. That isn't terrible for a rookie. No one expected him to be a great runner. It was his versatility.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

He's a rookie on pace for over 1,000 yfs and 8 TDs. That isn't terrible for a rookie. No one expected him to be a great runner. It was his versatility.

Honestly, you could have left it at that. 

When did guys become immediate busts when they don't come out of the gates looking like Elliot? It's nuts, really. 

3 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

If you can say "I have no doubt if we used lie detectors on everyone in Stanford's football program, they would be disappointed in McCaffery." Then I can safely speculate that Christian McCaffrey's Stanford graduate and NFL veteran father, right hand and guiding light through life heavily influenced his decision to start to prepare for the NFL. 

Whether Christian McCaffrey was a professional or not makes no difference. He was at one level, believed rightfully so that he was going to level up so he gave his notice and left Stanford to work even harder to achieve other goals. That's modern life. Somehow its terrible because McCaffrey did in football when it acceptable in almost every other situation. Your whole emotional, childish and flawed argument makes no sense in reality.

Christian McCaffrey didn't fail to meet a challenge. He touched the ball 10,000 times. He played in a bowl game before. He put himself in harms way more than any other player at Stanford for two years. He outworked everyone there. He had his own workout regimen at Stanford outside of what everyone else there did. He took an insanely difficult course load. He maxed out three seasons of college like almost nobody else in the history of CFB at his position. He had $11 million dollars waiting for him. He was thinking about the future of himself and his family. Give me a break with all this sanctimonious baloney, dude. 

Christian McCaffrey has $11 million in his bank account. Works his *** off everyday in the NFL. Has earned the respect of everyone in the Carolina Panthers organization. 

A successful person in my book. 

I'm not going to call a dude who risked breaking neck thousands of times in college a quitter. Go for it if you wish. 

Because Christian McCaffrey had done so many positive things makes the bailing on his Cardinal teammates all the more surprising. You just don't expect someone who apparently loves to compete lose the desire the last time he was ever going to suit up with those teammates. He had a wealthy upbringing, so it's not like he needs the NFL to rescue his family from poverty. I don't think a current HOF player would ever quit  on his college team.  Business decisions aren't always the best ways to go, and there was just a microscopic chance of injury in that Sun Bowl. The high achievers in sports and life just seem to finish what they start. No one is ever going to convince me a 100% healthy star player can't play on a limited basis in a bowl game.

And we'll see if McCaffrey is a successful pro, right now, it's not working. If I were a Panthers fan, I would concerned how this player will push through the injury and pain which is part of his job.

8 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Then you've clearly just been box score scouting and haven't watched him much.

He's playing special teams, he's played receiver on the outside, receiver on the inside, running back and moves around the field constantly. He's handled all these roles with very few mental mistakes. He's been praised up and down the roster for his preparation, attitude and physicality. Yes he's had a below average YPC average. You have to take into consideration the offensive line has generally struggled, the offense has been up and down without much of an identity, and he's splitting carries with a veteran. He's never run the ball enough to get into any rhythm. Over his last 20 carries he's averaged 4.5 YPC and looked good. He's consistently played smart football, gotten first downs and looked shockingly good in the receiving game. He is exactly what they thought he would be and what I expected. So yes, he is a disappointment if your expectations were ridiculous. The Panthers said from the beginning they were going to put him everywhere and be patient him. He'll still be 21 years old when the Panthers are picking players in next years NFL Draft. 

1 minute ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Then you've clearly just been box score scouting and haven't watched him much.

He's playing special teams, he's played receiver on the outside, receiver on the inside, running back and moves around the field constantly. He's handled all these roles with very few mental mistakes. He's been praised up and down the roster for his preparation, attitude and physicality. Yes he's had a below average YPC average. You have to take into consideration the offensive line has generally struggled, the offense has been up and down without much of an identity, and he's splitting carries with a veteran. He's never run the ball enough to get into any rhythm. Over his last 20 carries he's averaged 4.5 YPC and looked good. He's consistently played smart football, gotten first downs and looked shockingly good in the receiving game. He is exactly what they thought he would be and what I expected. So yes, he is a disappointment if your expectations were ridiculous. The Panthers said from the beginning they were going to put him everywhere and be patient him. He'll still be 21 years old when the Panthers are picking players in next years NFL Draft. 

I have seen McCaffrey play, and my statement was right on the money. Right mow, it's not what you expect from the eighth overall pick in the draft. 3 yards per rush, and 7.6 yards per catch doesn't cut it

20 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

I have seen McCaffrey play, and my statement was right on the money. Right mow, it's not what you expect from the eighth overall pick in the draft. 3 yards per rush, and 7.6 yards per catch doesn't cut it

Leveon Bell is at 3.8 ypr and 6.3 ypc. Maybe your expectations are just unreasonable, especially FOR A ROOKIE. Did you expect him to be an all pro right away? No one can reasonably expect that from a rookie.

3 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

You just don't expect someone who apparently loves to compete lose the desire the last time he was ever going to suit up with those teammates. He had a wealthy upbringing, so it's not like he needs the NFL to rescue his family from poverty. I don't think a current HOF player would ever quit  on his college team.  Business decisions aren't always the best ways to go, and there was just a microscopic chance of injury in that Sun Bowl. The high achievers in sports and life just seem to finish what they start. No one is ever going to convince me a 100% healthy star player can't play on a limited basis in a bowl game.

And we'll see if McCaffrey is a successful pro, right now, it's not working. If I were a Panthers fan, I would concerned how this player will push through the injury and pain which is part of his job.

I think you're thinking about this in the wrong way. Just because he chose not to compete doesn't mean he lost the desire to compete. He channeled his energy and competitive desire in a different direction. He made an incredibly difficult and controversial decision. I think it took tremendous character to do what he did and invite that criticism. You can argue him playing in that bowl game would have been him taking the easy way out in comparison to what he did. Players have different values. Just because McCaffrey chose a different path doesn't mean he's not a competitor. He didn't leave Stanford and sleep in. While his team was preparing for the bowl game he was working with trainers preparing him for the NFL. 

As far as McCaffrey's family and money. I'm not going to say McCaffrey didn't need $11 million dollars because his dad has a nice house and an NFL pension. That's the type of money that can alter your family for generations. That's the kind of money Ed McCaffrey could only dream of getting. 

McCaffrey played through injuries at Stanford. He dealt with a concussion this year. Nobody questions his toughness. He plays the game without fear. 

Archived