Prospects sitting out bowl games

smokeybandit

21 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Another guy who watched Rudy one too many times as a kid and has an illogical/childish view of what football players should be. 

To be fair, he qualified his statements by saying he understands the logic behind it, and it wouldn't really impact his overall view on a prospect - and that's fair, there are people who aren't going to like it. 

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

To be fair, he qualified his statements by saying he understands the logic behind it, and it wouldn't really impact his overall view on a prospect - and that's fair, there are people who aren't going to like it. 

Whenever I can make fun of BTC I will not miss an opportunity and he knows it. 

2 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

That's a lot of paperwork and internal policy nonsense for something that happens to a tiny handful of players every year.

Not worth the effort.

I wonder how much though? If a player refuses to play in a game, would they not be in breach of their scholarship?

12 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I wonder how much though? If a player refuses to play in a game, would they not be in breach of their scholarship?

What if they are banged up and the trainers say he can go but he says he doesn't want to? And if you allow that how can you stop someone that is 100% healthy from saying their hamstring or groin feels tight or they twisted and ankle. Stuff that trainers can't really do much about or tell if the player is good unless he says he is.

3 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

That's a lot of paperwork and internal policy nonsense for something that happens to a tiny handful of players every year.

Not worth the effort.

Reduce the paperwork and internal policy. Fast track instances such as this. 

At the end of the day a top prospect is taking a great risk playing in a bowl game. A single play could end a 100 million dollar or more career before it starts. If a player absolutely has to play then a provision should be the program purchase an insurance policy protecting against lost income due to injury.

Its a huge risk that needs to be mitigated or eliminated.

52 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

At the end of the day a top prospect is taking a great risk playing in a bowl game. A single play could end a 100 million dollar or more career before it starts. If a player absolutely has to play then a provision should be the program purchase an insurance policy protecting against lost income due to injury.

Its a huge risk that needs to be mitigated or eliminated.

I say - given how much these schools make - the school should take out insurance policies for any player that's rated as a 3rd round or higher by the NFL draft advisory board. 

Not the $2mm type policy that McGahee signed before the Orange Bowl, but a $20-30mm policy that will encompass the loss of draft value as well as the higher income lost from a potential 2nd contract. 

Or, coordinate these policies to where it's geared towards any injury, not total injury; These policies are currwntly written to protect players from career ending injuries - so if a 1st round guy blows his ACL and is still drafted in the 7th, the insurance company doesn't have to pay benefits, because his career never ended (look up the story of Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu; 1st round grade, tore his ACL but was drafted in the 7th by Cleveland, so insurance company tried to claim he didn't suffer an injury that impacted his chances). The school needs to advocate for any loss of draft value, not just total loss of draft value.

The school - not the student - needs to do the research and provide the oversight. Then, I might change my tune. But for now, if a player wants to sit a bowl game out prior to scouting season, it's a smart move).

It is easy for us to say they all should play, but there can be millions at stake if they get injured and I do not blame anyone who sits out a Bowl game. Their colleges can pay the HC 8 to 10 million, but they get peanuts for putting their health on the line and do not talk about graduating with a degree, because most of the better juniors come out every year, without a degree.

Do the colleges care about head injuries, they never did in the past and threw players off their teams and scholarships, when they got seriously injured. So why should the players risk everything for the school. I will tell you, that most of us, if we had the ability to play in the NFL, would think twice about playing in a Bowl game and risk losing 5 to 20 million a year for a decade.

Archived