BDL 2022 Week 7 - Lancaster Werewolves @ Cancun Kaiju

RedGold

Who Wins?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Lancaster Werewolves
    • Cancun Kaiju

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/27/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 7

Match:   Lancaster Werewolves @ Cancun Kaiju

Away Owner: @rackcs

Home Owner:  @Blue @MWil23

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Lancaster
QB: Jalen Hurts

RB: AJ Dillon

WR: Michael Pittman Jr.

WR: Diontae Johnson

WR: Tyler Boyd

TE: Mike Gesicki

LT: Braxton Jones

LG: Quenton Nelson

C : Drew Dalman

RG: Robert Hunt

RT: Kaleb McGary

QB: Trevor Lawrence

RB: Miles Sanders

RB: Tyler Allgeier

WR: Ben Skowronek

WR: Quez Watkins

TE: Greg Dulcich

OL: Ted Karras

OL: Evan Neal

DE: Bud Dupree

DT: Kenny Clark

DT: Justin Madubuike

DE: John Franklin-Myers

LB: Fred Warner

LB: Malcolm Rodriguez

CB: Jalen Ramsey

CB: Jaire Alexander

CB: Dane Jackson

FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick

SS: Jonathan Abram

EDGE: Arden Key

EDGE: Julian Okwara

INT: Tedarrell Slaton

INT: Eyioma Uwazurike

LB: Willie Gay Jr.

CB: K’Waun Williams (Q)

CB: Kindle Vildor

S: Darrick Forrest

Cancun

QB Patrick Mahomes
RB Aaron Jones
WR Courtland Sutton
WR Josh Reynolds
Slot WR Chris Olave
TE Dalton Schultz
LT Jason Peters
LG Cordell Volson
C Andre James
RG Zion Johnson
RT Yosh Nijman

RB2 Rhamondre Stevenson
FB Kyle Juszczyk
WR4 Olamide Zacchaeus
WR5 Nick Westbrook-Ikhine
TE2 Will Dissly
TE3 Kylen Granson
OL6 Calvin Anderson
OL7 Calvin Throckmorton

DE Cameron Jordan
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Austin Johnson
DE Gregory Rousseau
LB Pete Werner
LB Ernest Jones
CB Steven Nelson
CB Jack Jones
Slot DB Jalen Pitre
S Kevin Byard
S Jalen Thompson

DE3 Preston Smith
DE4 Kayvon Thibodeaux
DT3 Travis Jones
DT4 Jordan Phillips
LB3 David Long
CB3 Jaylen Watson
CB4 Michael Davis
S4 Donovan Wilson

Edited by RedGold

Lancaster Offensive Strategy:

With just one big trade and a few waiver claims, our offense is going to look very different this week. We expect to still run a fair amount as we've been doing most of this season but we really want to open up the passing game as well now that we've got some more receiving options. We'll be operating our base out of 11 personnel this week but also mixing in plenty of 21 personnel, split-back looks that our offense is comfortable running.

While we are utilizing the passing game more this week, we know that the running game is our bread and butter and will help serve to open up the passing game for us. So we will continue to use our running back rotation and Jalen Hurts to gain yards on the ground. We want to run a little bit of everything to make sure Cancun can't focus on any one area of our run game. We will run it inside and outside with the running backs, we'll utilize read options and designed quarterback runs to open up the run game and force Cancun to respect Jalen Hurts in that aspect. We think we can have our normal success gaining yards in the running game while also opening up passing lanes and also prevent the Cancun pass rush from pinning their ears back.

In addition to adding more receiving options, we also think that we can have success targeting the Cancun secondary. Jack Jones and Jalen Pitre have been playing well as rookies and Steven Nelson is always solid but none of them are lock down guys. We think we'll be able to have some decent success against them passing the ball. As usual we'll mainly be operating with quick game concepts. Our wide receivers are good route runners and can get separation with quick slants, crossing routes, curls, things like that. We want to run a lot of RPO or play action to further help our wide receivers have room to operate. We want to run some screen options for Diontae Johnson and our running backs as well.

Lancaster Defensive Strategy:

The obvious highlight of the Cancun offense is Patrick Mahomes and he's the one guy who will make or break you when you go against him. We know we can struggle to get consistent pass rush from the outside while TJ Watt and Joey Bosa is out so we want to win by playing consistent, tight coverage against his receiving options. 

We'll be playing in our usual man coverage with 1 man deep defense. We'll have Jalen Ramsey covering Courtland Sutton, Jaire Alexander covering Chris Olave, and Dane Jackson covering Josh Reynolds. Minkah Fitzpatrick will be playing a deep zone to help defend the deep ball and look to make plays. Fred Warner will be focusing on Aaron Jones, watching for runs, covering him out of the backfield. Malcolm Rodriguez will do the same to Kyle Juszczyk. If Juszczyk comes off the field for a different RB they'll keep the same assignments. If he comes off for a TE, then Fred Warner will cover the TE and Rodriguez will take the RB. Jonathan Abram will be playing in the box and playing a middle of the field zone to help take away that part of the field.

With our defensive line we of course will expect to get most of our pressure from our interior defensive line. Kenny Clark and Justin Madubuike both can get pressure inside pretty well. And as usual we'll be utilizing a heavy EDGE rotation to keep our guys fresh and energized if nothing else. We'll also be helped by David Bakhtiari being out as his replacements at LT are much more beatable than Bakhtiari. Our EDGEs will mostly be tasked with being contain though to limit Mahomes ability to get out of the pocket and create plays out of structure.

Cancun

Offense:

Lancaster’s defense is banged up all over, especially on the defensive line. As a result, the plan for the week is to run the ball, using heavy amounts of motion and play action to build off that run game to attack the middle of the field with crossing routes.

The offense will feature four main formations: 2WR/2TE/1RB, 3WR/1TE/1RB, 4WR/1RB, and 3WR/2RB. We will be using two tight end sets a little less often than the other formations, but otherwise we want roughly equal usage across formations. With only Kenny Clark presenting much of a threat at the line of scrimmage, we will be doubling him every down, whether pass or run. We trust the rest of our offensive line, beat up as it is, to take care of the remaining down linemen one on one.

Attacking the line of scrimmage between the tackles is our primary focus on offense. Stevenson will get more of a workload between the tackles with Jones having more of an outside rushing role, but we want both players to rack up at least 15 rushes each and won’t be limiting our playcalling based on which back is in the game.

With a lack of pass rushing options for Lancaster, we feel comfortable with longer-developing plays in the passing game to pick up chunk yardage. When Clark has to get off the field for a breather, we will run hurry-up to keep him off the field and have an easier time working the middle of the defense in the run game. Our top three receivers will rotate across all three receiver positions, including motion to move one of the outside receivers into the slot. This will help Mahomes diagnose the coverage and identify mismatches pre-snap.

In sets with 3+ receivers, we want to mainly feature trips to one side, with the tight end or fourth receiver typically running an out on the other side of the formation. On pass plays, the trips receivers will be running crossing routes in the intermediate to deep portions of the field, with one receiver in the trips formation running a shallow curl, slant, or flat route as the safety outlet for Mahomes in the face of a blitz.

In two back sets, we will look to target the backs and slot receiver in the passing game. The outside corners for Lancaster are very good, although we will be looking out for Ramsey in single coverage against Olave or Sutton to take advantage of that matchup. The linebackers and corner depth, on the other hand, are not so good and should be easier to take advantage of. We want to get Olamide Zacchaeaus a few deep shots in 4WR sets, as he’s been good in that area this year (over 20.1 YPR in his last four games!) and Lancaster doesn’t really have the depth to handle a deep threat in the slot without leaving Olave or Sutton in a big mismatch outside.

We will utilize a tight end rotation this week based on situational football. Schultz will play on third and fourth downs as well as two TE sets, Dissly will be used mainly as a run blocker, and Granson will be our primary TE on early downs as a pass catcher. The tight ends will mainly be running slants, flats, and comeback/curl routes as safety valves for Mahomes in the event of early pressure or blitzing, relying on the area vacated by the blitzer to be easy checkdown options to avoid a sack.

Defense:

This week, we get the Lancaster Werewolves at Home.

Our main focus will be to stop Lancaster's running game, specifically prepping for a heavy dose of zone read and/or RPO. We believe that their passing game will struggle outside of Michael Pittman Jr, who we intend to "glove" with a double team. 

We will be varying our looks, giving Hurts a combination of "give" and "keep" reads, utilizing our athletic advantage on the Front 7 to plug the interior on the "give" and to have a 2 on 1 in the RPO game with Byard in the slot playing a "pause" technique (staying in the slant lane), as well as showing Hurts a "keep" read with a heavy crash from the unblocked DE while continuing to have Byard play the "pause" technique and staying in the throwing lane. 

Should Lancaster give us a TE/Double TE or 2 back look, we will adjust with personnel and put an extra LB on the field to match.

Glove Coverage:

We will be showing press man or Cover 2 with a safety over the top on Michael Pittman Jr., taking him completely out of the game, and daring Diontae Johnson and Mike Gesicki to beat us. If they show motion, then we will have Byard as our apex (in 3+ WR sets) run with motion, and if they motion to the TE, we will have a 9 tech away from the TE with a TE side DE in a 5 or 7 tech, eliminating all gaps with a numbers advantage. The LB (Werner) will bump to the edge of the box accounting for the QB in the running game, making him a completely unblocked defender.

On the backside, we will have the flexibility to play man, Cover 2, or Cover 3 depending upon the numbers and personnel.

As far as Hurst goes, he has shown a propensity to love escaping the pocket with bootlegs and designed rollouts. Therefore, we will be eliminating those and daring him to beat us from the pocket and get to his 2nd and 3rd progressions, which we are confident that he will be unable to do. We will be playing a cat and mouse game with our LB, DT, and apex (if he blitzes):

Pt-3-Tile.png?fit=1200,545&ssl=1&resize=

Below you have the upfield rush freeing up the exchange on the inside:

c5597ac65889809810bb6e94b26be399_crop_ex

Here you get a good look at the top field double with a match/Cover 3 on the backside:

2e27f81f0b7d5fa4e12a390e48113862_crop_ex

Edited by RedGold

With Cancun doubling Clark inside and Lancaster’s edges playing mostly contain I don’t see Lancaster getting much pressure as I don’t see a single mention of blitzing. At the same time I don’t see Cancun accounting for newly acquired Boyd not sure that changes their plan much but Boyd is heating up and provides the Lancaster offense with another legitimate reviving threat making their offense even more versatile and dangerous. 

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So, I dont think the lack of blitzing Mahomes is actually a bad thing. But I do think not axcounting for Boyd is. I think its a bold assumption that Diontae Johnson and Boyd will struggle, one that i think comes back to haunt Cancun who is extremely limited on receivers themselves 

21-13 Lancaster

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm happy to let a dude with 38 catches for 337 yards and 0 TD this season line up against our zone with minimal safety help and a ton of underneath help try to beat me. Tyler Boyd picked a fitting week to go off.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm happy to let a dude with 38 catches for 337 yards and 0 TD this season line up against our zone with minimal safety help and a ton of underneath help try to beat me. Tyler Boyd picked a fitting week to go off.

I respect your opinion, at the same time. I dont think Johnsons lack of TDs on a struggling Steelers offense is reflective of what he is capable of on Lancasters offense. Im not lookintg at pure statistics. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I respect your opinion, at the same time. I dont think Johnsons lack of TDs on a struggling Steelers offense is reflective of what he is capable of on Lancasters offense. Im not lookintg at pure statistics. 

That's fine, we can agree to disagree. I like Press Man and Cover 2 to lock down the quick game concepts and our focal point on stopping Hurts and company in the running game. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's fine, we can agree to disagree. I like Press Man and Cover 2 to lock down the quick game concepts and our focal point on stopping Hurts and company in the running game. That's just my opinion.

And I think you write really good defense of game plans I respect your opinion. I agree that we can agree to disagree but I still think that this would be a very close game either way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

With Cancun doubling Clark inside and Lancaster’s edges playing mostly contain I don’t see Lancaster getting much pressure as I don’t see a single mention of blitzing. At the same time I don’t see Cancun accounting for newly acquired Boyd not sure that changes their plan much but Boyd is heating up and provides the Lancaster offense with another legitimate reviving threat making their offense even more versatile and dangerous. 

Lancaster’s offense had better be dangerous given they’re only going to be on the field for about 15 minutes.

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lancaster’s offense had better be dangerous given they’re only going to be on the field for about 15 minutes.

You always say this because because apparently you think that your defense is completely unstoppable but there's no accountability for how good you're all your offense really isn't.

I mean sure you have an elite quarterback a very good will be at sometimes inconsistent running back and one Pretty good rookie wide receiver and another hood production is extremely i In consistence. My doubt of that you have a slightly above average of offensive line.

Every single week you guys spend so much time in your game day thread trying to convince people how you are the better team but multiple times this season you have not been the better team you have not been the better roster and yet you Continue to suggest that you are. It is not unfathomable that you could potentially lose a game

Edited by wwhickok

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Also genuine question here did I miss something Because I feel like I must have missed the part where Boyd was even mentioned in Cancun's defensive game plan let alone being covered by Byard

Boyd wasn't mentioned by name, but given he is listed as their WR3, it's eluded to:

On 10/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, RedGold said:

with Byard in the slot playing a "pause" technique (staying in the slant lane), as well as showing Hurts a "keep" read with a heavy crash from the unblocked DE while continuing to have Byard play the "pause" technique and staying in the throwing lane

On 10/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, RedGold said:

If they show motion, then we will have Byard as our apex (in 3+ WR sets) run with motion

So yes, Byard will always be in the slot/roaming and always will be going with motion. As there is a TE on the field, that means Boyd, unless they decide to invert him, in which case, he will be pressed per the gameplan. :)