Blow it up! Off-season wishes/ideas

one_of_a_kind24

I will say this - right now Bowles is looking for what's working today. He fired Leftwich bc he seemed tired of that outdated BA scheme. I know folks don't really like Bowles here and I get it. He'll enter this year on the hotseat. But right now - I like where his mind is at. Bringing in Monken, McCardell, and Pritcher for interviews - 2 of which haven't been OC's before. We're not hearing much more of Cooter and Kubiak who i don't believe are in the running

I believe we are at the point where this OC job is going to be hard to fill.  Brady retiring and $35 million dead cap is a gut punch.  The allure of a potential Brissett and Trask depth chart is showing to be an issue.  The OC job will get filled, but it's more likely to be filled by a Mike Sullivan type.  They have to draft a Qb this draft.  Follow the draft board, but this organization has to take every opportunity to fill the QB position long term.  I do believe Bowles is the last HC Licht will be allowed to hire.  When Todd goes, so does Jason.  They may want to be pretty aggressive trying to get the QB this draft because a decent chance this could be their last offseason. 

Edited by ravishingone

On 2/10/2023 at 11:24 AM, ravishingone said:

Well PR is suggesting the Bucs will bring in Brissett or Mayfield to compete with Trask.  Also, leaves the possibility to draft a QB.  If this is the plan, I expect the Bucs to draft a Qb this draft.  I always did like the idea of a team drafting a QB pretty much every year.  Of course, not necessarily in day 2 or 3.  

Agreed. I just got done reading the Fab 5, and a couple things stuck out.

1. "Between the Glazers, Bowles and Licht – none of them want to use the terms “rebuild,” “tank” or “blow it up.” Especially when the NFC South is downtrodden right now and the division is there for the taking. Just make the right offensive coordinator hire, find the right quarterback and have a good draft and there is no reason why the Bucs can’t make the playoffs again in 2023."

Sounds like the Glazers and FO just want to do enough to make sure the fans keep coming. A one-and-done playoff season like we just had is not acceptable. I dont understand how winning a weak division is now what the yearly goal is. Do we not want to be superbowl contenders? 

In today's NFL, a defensive HC is not a recipe for long term success. Even if you luck into a young, franchise QB, the OC is going to get poached every year or 2. You need an offensive HC where the system stays the same year after year. I just dont see a way for Bowles to be successful. The league has passed his style of HCs by.

18 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I believe we are at the point where this OC job is going to be hard to fill.  Brady retiring and $35 million dead cap is a gut punch.  The allure of a potential Brissett and Trask depth chart is showing to be an issue.  The OC job will get filled, but it's more likely to be filled by a Mike Sullivan type.  They have to draft a Qb this draft.  Follow the draft board, but this organization has to take every opportunity to fill the QB position long term.  I do believe Bowles is the last HC Licht will be allowed to hire.  When Todd goes, so does Jason.  They may want to be pretty aggressive trying to get the QB this draft because a decent chance this could be their last offseason. 

I think Licht is safe within the organization. I think he'll get moved up into more of a VP of Football ops and bring in a GM. In terms of picking the head coach - I really think his hands were tied after fired Lovie and BA stepped down. I think he was forced into promoting Koetter bc the Glazers were afraid of losing him. And BA forced the hand by retiring in march/April? I feel like Licht wasn't really able to conduct a coaching search then. 

Honestly - if some in the organization are high on Thad Lewis - why not interview him and see what he's got? He'll probably take the job if offered. Or go to the college ranks at this point. 

It's going to be hard to come here with our cap situation and the writing on the wall that Bowles will need a division title at 10 wins to keep his job. 

I kind of expect the OC to be Cooter or Kubiak at this point.  Not sure a first time OC wants this job.  The retread OC does not have the luxury of being as picky.  At this point, sign Mayfield or Darnold.  Maybe there is something more there in play.  Signing Brissett feels like signing McCown.  Finally, draft a Qb and hope they luck into a QB/OC combo.

Remember when some questioned if this would even be an attractive job? We're finding out right now that no one wants this gig bc its doomed from the start. Time to go to the college ranks to find a guy. Don't recycle a re-tread who had zero success as a playcaller. Kubiak had talent in minnesota and still stunk. So did Jim Bob Cooter. 

If Brown is offered the job by Carolina - he will take it over the bucs. The Panthers job is much better. Reich is a much better football coach and the Panthers have cap and are in position to draft a QB or land Garoppolo in FA. 

Should've canned the entire staff. 

• Like 1

Glazers underestimated this situation by a wide margin with Brady retiring.  Essentially the team is going into year 5 of the Arians era with no QB.  The track record of promoting from within to keep the era running after a SB victory is not pretty.  I guess the best example of it almost working is Mike Martz and the Rams.  He got them back to the SB at least.  It is rather embarrassing a recent SB winner can't get a candidate a job which usually is a springboard to a head coaching job.  

I'm all for signing Mayfield this offseason.  Got nothing to lose, only upside at this point.   Also, if Levis or Richardson slip outside the top 10, seriously think about getting them.  Next season to be top 5 pick, a team will have to win 4 or less games. The talent outside the QB position is not lower tier.  Even with garbage QB play, I can see them winning at least 6 in this division.

Edited by ravishingone