Blow it up! Off-season wishes/ideas

one_of_a_kind24

On 12/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I think Levis has the most "Josh Allen-esque" potential

But the end result will also need a good offensive minded coach to nurture that potential out. Allen was super inaccurate year 1 and needed the coaching. 

I don't like many of these QBs in this draft so far but I haven't done a deep dive yet into scouting.

I do agree that Brady might come back but the only way I see that happening is with some coaching shake-up.

Oh Gosh Will Levis is atrocious. As a penn state fan and alum - watching him get into games only to just look dumbfounded and indecisive was just horrible. The guy can sling it and a hell of an athlete - but even when I watched him at Kentucky  i saw the same tendencies. His arm looks pretty in practice but the guy just can't play the QB position at an NFL level bc he lacks timing, anticipation and pocket/field awareness. 

23 hours ago, ravishingone said:

The irony of Josh Allen was BUF moved up into the Bucs pick to draft him.  Bucs traded down and got Vea.  They were not going to draft him because of Jameis being drafted.

I have no faith in Bowles to be able to modernize the offense with drafting a mobile QB. 

The Glazers listened to BA about succession and it did not work.   

this is why i believe Bowles will not be back UNLESS they close out strong and win a playoff game (HAHA sorry had to laugh there). 

I think the staff knows internally Brady is done. I'm no big Bowles fan - but I think they believe Brady's decline is part of the problem and he continued to ask for more time off in the offseason and during the season. Even a new OC - Brady can't miss all this time in the offseason or TC. Hearing him whine about a work life balance shows you he wants to either retire or show up on sundays. And his game on sunday's this year has been poor. 

I think you tear the whole thing down - even find a better GM to succeed Licht who can move into a higher role upstairs. I don't dislike Licht - but he's had some bad misses in the draft since we won the super bowl and even his 2018 and 2019 draft - with those picks traded down from 7 - Vea sticks out but Rojo, Whitehead, MJ Stewart, Cappa, - All no longer with the team. Decisions to sign Russell Gage over Alex Cappa, and Fournette over Whitehead (both cost similarly) is head-scratching consider the leadership role Whitehead had here. Carlton Davis was a guy he could've let go bc he's not worth what we paid him to be - period. 

I'm not sure this is a popular opinion to question Licht - but it looks like White will bust. OJ Howard, Vernon Hargreaves, Jameis winston. And tyron has been losing snaps to Nassib/Nelson WITH Barrett sidelined. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure the Bucs can build a strong enough OL for next season even with the return of Jensen.  Smith and LG are major question marks.  At 46. Brady I cannot see him wanting to play behind a questionable line.  It hasn't gone great this season.  The potential drafting of a mobile QB will allow the offense to gain yardage even if the OL is not great.  

Brady to MIA looking like more of a possibility with Tua back in concussion protocal.  I hope Tua does not have severe issues going forward. 

A new OC is bringing a new system and terminology.  Gabbert and Trask have no advantage with already being in the system.  I'm struggling to understand if Brady leaves why Bowles deserves another shot.   

Edited by ravishingone

I dont think he plays anywhere else, if he decides to come back. He's been given everything he's wanted here, and apparently has great relationships with Licht and Joel Glazer. I think the comfort at that level is more appealing than going to a new team, and learning a new offense won't be as big of a deterrent. BAs playbook is notoriously hard to learn and be on the same page with everybody, so hopefully the new offense is a little easier.

I also think Brady is hiding an injury, like he did in 2020, and will get repaired in the off-season and come back to prove that he's still a top 5 QB. That'll probably be another reason Bowles is kept in 2023; Brady knows what to expect with him.

Baker Mayfield is  a prime example of a coach molding an offensive scheme to it's QB. The rams have a depleted roster - especially OL and WR and baker is COOKING (not like Russ). Theres a reason why Aaron Rodgers like what LaFleur brings to GB (that west coast hybrid offense) and O'Connell and the other LaFleur and Zac Taylor are doing in other teams. Sure they have the QB (except the Jets) but they mold schemes around the talent they have to work with. 

Same thing with Shane Steichem (spelling)? .... He was the QB coach/OC in LAC with Herbert and that offense was humming his rookie year. Herbert also did not look like that EVER at Oregon the way he's performed in the NFL level and he immediately became a stud from his first start in the league. Then he goes to Philly and turns Hurts around into an MVP candidate in 2 seasons. The guy can mold his scheme around the guys talent. That is why younger and more open minded coaches are desired by owners today. The Old School "my way or the highway" types like Arians, Bowles, Ruhle, Zimmer, etc. Are extinct. 

I do think Brady's decline is a big reason why the Bucs are struggling offensively. You don't have a weak secondary like Arizona basically tempting you to throw beyond 10 yards lol and not do it. Leftwich isn't stupid. There is a reason why all of our plays are short. And it's because Brady is extremely limited. 

I'm for firing bowles and staff bc Arians crippled Ownership and Management into not being able to conduct a proper Head Coaching search. This really should be a short term contract that the bucs could get out of bc in my opinion, this was more of an Interim Hire than a proper one. 

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

If Bowles survives, the likelihood of them drafting a QB early goes way down.  With Carr being benched, looks like another vet QB will be available.  Going to be an interesting offseason.

Vegas is dumb

Imo the problem there isn't Carr

I'd take Carr as a bridge QB 💯

There aren't any other good options anyway

42 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Vegas is dumb

Imo the problem there isn't Carr

I'd take Carr as a bridge QB 💯

There aren't any other good options anyway

I'm going to pass on Carr.  Brady was the last QB I want to see that is no threat to run in Tampa.  Very cheap bridge QB like Brissett and draft a QB.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

I'm going to pass on Carr.  Brady was the last QB I want to see that is no threat to run in Tampa.  Very cheap bridge QB like Brissett and draft a QB.

Idk 

Any QB we get in FA won't be a running threat

And we aren't in position to draft one of the top 3 guys 

I'd be ok with Brisset since he'd be cheap

We might be really bad next year...

29 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Idk 

Any QB we get in FA won't be a running threat

And we aren't in position to draft one of the top 3 guys 

I'd be ok with Brisset since he'd be cheap

We might be really bad next year...

Bringing in Brissett to compete with Trask for the bridge QB role. For super cheap bridge, I would sign Teddy 2 Gloves or even Tyrod Taylor over the vet QBs available.  I think Stroud will be QB1.  Young will get scrutinized over height.  Levis and Richardson are both projects.  I believe at most 2 QBs go top 10.  In 2 weeks, Bucs could be top 12 or better.  

I feel like CJ Stroud is getting scrutinized at the moment due to not winning against Michigan and having an OK performance against Penn State until the 4th QTR. If we lose the last two games - are we in position to move up and secure Stroud or Young? I'm good with either of those two as first round picks this year. I'd prefer not to try and tank bc winning just 1 extra game = missing out on Caleb Williams or Williams having a Jameis esque sophomore type year from FSU that turns folks off from drafting him. 

I'd rather move up for Stroud if he drops. 

So if the Brady/Payton combo is real, who wins the race?  I don't believe the Glazers would not try to win that race.  Now the Saints would never trade with the Bucs, right?  Well, the Pats and Jets completed a trade for Bill Parcells.  Ironically, Payton worked for Parcells in Dallas.