Blow it up! Off-season wishes/ideas

one_of_a_kind24

19 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I honestly do not know why anyone is clamoring or hoping Brady returns. The Bucs FO and ownership shouldn't want him either. 

The guy is afraid to get hit yet still wants to play at 45? Even Aikman said on some of those balls he let go early he needs to hang in there and take the hit. The NFL game is much faster and only getting faster in terms of the front 4 being insanely athletic. Bosa, Parsons, young, etc. Defenses are loading up front to pressure the QB. Even the best OL's have to make sacrifices every Offseason. Bucs unit ranked 12th without Jensen. Not bad - but Brady's lack of pocket movement and escapability hurts. Everyone gloats about SF O-Line - yet how many times did Purdy have to dodge pressures last weekend? It's never perfect nor will it ever. As he ages - it's going to get worse. 

Some people say Brady may not want to retire going out on a sour note. Well anyone who's watched all 18 games can see the weaker arm. Manning in his last year could make the throw time to time but more times than not he was displaying a weaker arm that got worse as the year went on and he had neck surgery a few years back and still played well for a few years until he couldn't. 

Lets be real  - Brady is 45 and will be 46 to start next year. His arm isn't the same nor is his pocket presence and ability to stand tall in the pocket. He's missing too many receivers short and not getting through reads bc he wants to get rid of the ball ASAP. Outside of a few bones - Defenses read brady and the offense like a book. Sure, Leftwich plays a part in this and did himself no favors and I'm glad to restart the offense with someone new along with new positional coaches. However - Brady owns the poor execution and throws/lack of mobility. 

Its crazy to want this guy back after seeing pure decline for another year. Our ownership really has no faith in Licht to rebuild this roster and find a new QB, do they? 

i dont really love this take

i think Brady did what he could as a 45 year old QB in a garbage system, with horrendous OLine injuries, and a few case of the dropsies by our best WR.

Sure the guy is old and doesnt have the arm he once did, but damn you could see that he still has it by evidence of that last game against the Panthers alone, not to mention the only time we'd ever score points this year was when we were in No-Huddle and he was calling all the plays

i would not mind him coming back for one more year, but even if he doesnt its not like there are any great options in FA or the draft for us

one scenario i've given thought to, is Monken comes in to replace Bowles as HC and we draft ...... Stetson Bennett late 😅 what are the chances (as well as get a veteran ala Brisset/Geno to compete with Trask as well)

So if Brady retires, he could be a post June cut, which would give the team cap relief.

Bowles will be in a win or go home season.  He'll definitely push for a vet QB over the bargain bin QBs already mentioned.  So whom- Jimmy G, Carr, Baker, Darnold?  Monken worked with Baker in CLE his rookie season.

Edited by ravishingone

21 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i dont really love this take

i think Brady did what he could as a 45 year old QB in a garbage system, with horrendous OLine injuries, and a few case of the dropsies by our best WR.

Sure the guy is old and doesnt have the arm he once did, but damn you could see that he still has it by evidence of that last game against the Panthers alone, not to mention the only time we'd ever score points this year was when we were in No-Huddle and he was calling all the plays

i would not mind him coming back for one more year, but even if he doesnt its not like there are any great options in FA or the draft for us

one scenario i've given thought to, is Monken comes in to replace Bowles as HC and we draft ...... Stetson Bennett late 😅 what are the chances (as well as get a veteran ala Brisset/Geno to compete with Trask as well)

Him coming back for one more year is going to be very tough to watch. Despite how "bad" our OLINE was - it was still rated 12th. Brady was afraid to take a hit this year. He didn't gut it out in the pocket nor anything. As an OC - anyone is going to be extremely limited in what you can do to utlize a 46 year old statue who is no longer willing to hang tough in the pocket. 

I believe fans are in denial because it's hard to associate Brady as part of the mess in terms of offensive performance. He couldn't even execute a proper throwaway in the back of the endzone properly and continued to short arm (noodle arm) intermediate throws consistently throughout the year. The only game i saw him hit deep balls and verticals was that second carolina game. And sorry 1/18 games is enough for me to say - Father Time has FINALLY won. 

I am happy for what Brady got us. Truly love that he came in and took this talented team that was a QB away to the SHIP. However, this year it was clearly obvious. Brady wasn't comfortable taking a hit (dude is 45 years old) , he's more of a statue now than he ever was before, and Defenses were not afraid of him throwing it deep anymore. We can blame Byron all day - but Byron wasn't noodle arming throws, taking the entire offseason off, taking TC off and taking practices off to attend a friday wedding before a steelers game where he looked like a 50 year old man trying to throw the ball. 

I'm off the Brady train bc now it's time to hang it up. If he plays next year - I feel like he's going to go out even worse than what transpired this season. The Bucs organization and it's fans are clamoring to the past of the old Tom when realistically - at 46 - you're going to continue to get the worse version of Tom - Who needs to be in the booth or doing something other than play QB next year. 

On 1/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, ravishingone said:

So if Brady retires, he could be a post June cut, which would give the team cap relief.

Bowles will be in a win or go home season.  He'll definitely push for a vet QB over the bargain bin QBs already mentioned.  So whom- Jimmy G, Carr, Baker, Darnold?  Monken worked with Baker in CLE his rookie season.

Gun to my head, I'll say Jimmy G. Seems like he's the boring type of QB that Bowles wants and if we're looking to "reload" as Bowles alluded to on Tuesday, Jimmy can be good enough to win this garbage division (as long as we fix the OL to allow us to get a halfway respectable run game). 

-- Carr is going to be too expensive, both in terms of money and potential draft capital. 

-- I can't see Bowles wanting a loose cannon like Baker under center. Sounds dumb, but I honestly believe Bowles would bring Jameis back before going after Baker. 

-- Darnold? At that point just go with Trask or someone like Brissett or Minshew, at least there's a little mystery around those two, we know what Darnold is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Gun to my head, I'll say Jimmy G. Seems like he's the boring type of QB that Bowles wants and if we're looking to "reload" as Bowles alluded to on Tuesday, Jimmy can be good enough to win this garbage division (as long as we fix the OL to allow us to get a halfway respectable run game). 

-- Carr is going to be too expensive, both in terms of money and potential draft capital. 

-- I can't see Bowles wanting a loose cannon like Baker under center. Sounds dumb, but I honestly believe Bowles would bring Jameis back before going after Baker. 

-- Darnold? At that point just go with Trask or someone like Brissett or Minshew, at least there's a little mystery around those two, we know what Darnold is. 

I wonder if Bowles shares the same admiration for Gabbert as the offensive coaches he just sent packing.  It will be an interesting answer if they go the real cheap option.

I could see a scenerio where Gabbert is re signed because he will be very cheap.  Trask on the roster and then draft a Qb some time in the draft.  Similar to SEA years ago. Signed Matt Flynn in FA.  Tavaris Jackson on the roster, and drafted Russel Wilson.  In Bowles mind, get an OC who can have at least an average running game.  A Qb who has a little more mobility under center then Brady.  Win with defense and hope the OC can get the team to score 23 pts/gm. 

17 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Honestly - I see Garopollo reuniting with McDaniels. Raiders hold the 7th Pick. I don't think they sniff a QB in the first round. Carolina might make the mega jump to land one. Their roster isn't entirely bad. 

Agree with Darnold. While he did show some things in limited time the last two years - he's more a back up QB in this league so I'm not hanging my hat on him developing. 

I feel like Brissett is good enough to keep us in QB purgatory. If the Glazers really want Caleb Williams - Ryan Griffin /Kyle Trash camp battle? 

15 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I wonder if Bowles shares the same admiration for Gabbert as the offensive coaches he just sent packing.  It will be an interesting answer if they go the real cheap option.

I could see a scenerio where Gabbert is re signed because he will be very cheap.  Trask on the roster and then draft a Qb some time in the draft.  Similar to SEA years ago. Signed Matt Flynn in FA.  Tavaris Jackson on the roster, and drafted Russel Wilson.  In Bowles mind, get an OC who can have at least an average running game.  A Qb who has a little more mobility under center then Brady.  Win with defense and hope the OC can get the team to score 23 pts/gm. 

Griffin vs Trask - 2023 TC Battle. Caleb Williams guaranteed in 2024! 

Curious to see what happens to D Smith.  I believe if Brady does not return, I think there is a higher chance he gets moved.  The second part of the question is Goedeke and RT? I am not going to call him bust for playing poorly at a new position and a new side of the OL.  Do they move him back to RT and let him compete there?

16 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Curious to see what happens to D Smith.  I believe if Brady does not return, I think there is a higher chance he gets moved.  The second part of the question is Goedeke and RT? I am not going to call him bust for playing poorly at a new position and a new side of the OL.  Do they move him back to RT and let him compete there?

makes sense to try Goedeke out at RT but whether he wins the job or not is a different story

a tackle is going to be a priority in the draft

17 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I think Smith and Mason are gone. I believe we can immediately cut 20mm of cap space by cutting them both before the league year. 

I think moving Wirfs to LT would have to be a very thought out plan and one that involves speaking to Wirfs about. He's always spoken up about playing RT as his comfort zone - not that he didn't play bad when needed there at Iowa. Orlando Brown played RT and successfully switched over to LT for the Chiefs bc he wanted more money. Wirfs can do it. It made me wonder in the game he could have with Smith out - they kept Wirfs on the right side. 

As fans we think just moving guys from Tackle to Guard or Guard to Tackle is just "easy" or a guard to Center is simply easy. It's probably not. Goedeke was a RT is entire career for a smaller school prospect so not everyone makes the transition as easy as Marpet did - who still had his fair share of struggles early on. So did Cappa who didn't even play til year 2.