Week 8: Packers @ Bills on SNF / Postgame: Packers lose to Bills 27-17, fall to 3-5

FAH1223

10 hours ago, hitnhope said:

OK.  It was a miserable performance.  You can kid yourself with some manufactured positives.

I want the leadership of this team to recognize the failures and problems.  The fact we were double digit underdogs to begin with should bother our fans.  If this is going to get fixed a new approach is required. We've now gone a decade with bad defensive play.

We don't have the offensive horses to go toe to toe against the elite teams in this league.  I do agree our defense should be better than this and that has to be addressed but I doubt it will happen before this offseason.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well after digesting the game, here are my thoughts:

I was encouraged by the offense in this game. This is how we need to play, run the ball, make it boring, don't do 20 WR screens.  We scored 3 TDs against the best defense in the league.  

I like getting Toure and Doubs involved too.  I even like Amari Rodgers the WR, he may turn into Cobb-lite if given more opportunities.  I hate that Watson gets injured constantly.  That was my favorite WR in the draft, and he can't stop getting hurt.  Speaking of can't stop getting hurt, I think I would rather just pay Cobb and Watkins for the year and let Doubs, Rodgers, and Toure get more snaps in real game scenarios.

Despite some hiccups, I think this is the best the OL has played this season.  Yosh was better in his second game at RT.  Zach Tom desperately needs to get into the weight room, and the buffet table.  

This defense remains frustrating.  I can't tell if it is the line or linebackers that are atrocious against the run.  I didn't notice much difference when the back-ups came in at ILB.  The safeties are bad, Amos is Jekel and Hyde, while Savage is a faster version of HaHa.  At least the defense held on to some INTs today.  

I am only partly on board with the fire Barry crowd, because I just don't know if it changes anything at this juncture.  

I could probably complain more about that but I am sleepy. 

Agreed.  It didn't help that Walker was a damn fool and got expelled from the game and Campbell got hurt.  

9 hours ago, Striker said:

^^^

this.

The Bills four 2nd half drives consumed about 12 minutes and change:

-Penalty kills a red zone attempt, FG
-Josh Allen INT where he either doesn't see Douglas or just completely misfired.
-Josh Allen INT in the red zone where he...was trying to throw it away in front of Jaire Alexander?
-Josh Allen misses an absolutely wide open Kumerow
-End of game

Not really sure what game folks were watching, but there was no planet where the Bills were just trying to sit on the ball to end it. They will run that score up every chance they can.

The issue was that the Bills were fine letting us run time consuming 12 play drives that ate the clock while they were ahead by 3 scores.

The Packers 2nd half plan had nothing to do with winning the game.  It was to try and keep it somewhat respectable.   They didn't load the box to stop the run.  They were happy letting us burn clock and not being a threat.   Yet people here are all excited that we played better in the 2nd half?

When we had a 4th and 1 how did the run game fare?   Nothing was different for our offense other than the Bills already had the game won if we were willing to run the ball the entire time.   

4 hours ago, StatKing said:

Not his fault our bum of a head coach has no idea how to call a game. Running the ball down 3 scores going into the 4th is a bush league move. Lafleur coaches like a coward.

With our WRs and that defense plowing our OL over you expected MLF to pass the ball when the run was successful?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I am so over Savage. He turned down several opportunities to tackle last night. HaHa Clinton-Dix 2.0.

The Packers showed some hunger in the second half. Hopefully, they can continue to play like that and make it to 9-8. 

Do you think that Savage is salvageable? Say we fire the entire defensive coaching staff and start over.  Is Savage ever going to be good, or is he just this guy we are seeing right now? He was trending that way under Pettine too.  The depth at that position is underwhelming though.  The only real functional back-up is Rudy Ford, and I have a sneaking suspicion that he will start to look worse and worse as he is asked to play more snaps.  This is one that I don't have any idea how to address.  The offensive line and WRs, unfortunately, just need to get healthy and experienced, individually and as a unit.  I don't think that is the problem with the safeties.   

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Tom was a huge negative for me.  Just no base power to play guard.  He battled, for sure, he just is not a guard.  For as much as I thought he could be a center, man, he's got no base for that either.  Dude needs strength.

But are you worried about Tom? The only concern I have for him, is that maybe he has maxed out his body already and will not be able to add that functional strength.  He has played with good technique (minus the huge whiff last night 🤣) and he always fights when he is in.  We can't count on him to be a permanent starter this season, but as a utility guy, I don't really have too much of a problem.  Get him an offseason, or maybe even two, and I think we have a good one.  

25 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was there a terrible drop-off in ILB play when it was McDuffie and Wilson? Because I didn't notice it.  

The only “harm” I saw in losing Walker vs BUF is the general idea of him needing all the reps as he can get so that the light eventually (hopefully?) comes on for him. 

As for last night in isolation, I am not at all convinced that losing Walker hurt the defense in any meaningful way.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But are you worried about Tom? The only concern I have for him, is that maybe he has maxed out his body already and will not be able to add that functional strength.  He has played with good technique (minus the huge whiff last night 🤣) and he always fights when he is in.  We can't count on him to be a permanent starter this season, but as a utility guy, I don't really have too much of a problem.  Get him an offseason, or maybe even two, and I think we have a good one.  

Tom looked to me like a pure tackle playing guard. Future is bright but I feel like a lot of the first half offensive issues fell on him. This is one of the toughest defensive fronts in the league and I am very excited for the player he'll become.

Unrelated, Yosh is clearly adjusting to the right side and it isn't comfortable there yet. I'm hoping by season's end he'll look more consistent on that side. It's probably his long-term home while Tom takes over at LT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Tom looked to me like a pure tackle playing guard. Future is bright but I feel like a lot of the first half offensive issues fell on him. This is one of the toughest defensive fronts in the league and I am very excited for the player he'll become.

Unrelated, Yosh is clearly adjusting to the right side and it isn't comfortable there yet. I'm hoping by season's end he'll look more consistent on that side. It's probably his long-term home while Tom takes over at LT.

That is a fair assessment of Tom.  I think that he really needed this season to work in practice, and the weight room and then come back next year and hit the ground running. But circumstances can change.  

In my completely amateur view, Yosh looked a ton better against Buffalo than he did against Washington.  Maybe he improved, maybe they helped him more, maybe I am dumb as hell.  Probably part way all three.  

I think this team isn't too far away. Interesting that the teams we've lost to all have winning records or are at .500.

We need more bodies at WR.  The lack of options was criminal. Watson and Watkins still can't get through a game. Toure is too raw - although I liked what I saw on the TD play. Hoping to see some reinforcements so Lazard and Doubs can have some help the second half of the season.