What does Trai Turner's contract mean for Brandon Linder?

pwny

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2017-07-22/jaguars-insider-trai-turner-s-deal-carolina-could-mean-something-brandotn

there was action at guard on Thursday when Carolina signed Trai Turnerto a four-year extension worth a reported $45 million ($20.5 million guaranteed). Turner, 24, can hit free agency at the premium age of 28.

This could mean something – or nothing – for Jaguars center Brandon Linder.

Turner and Linder were drafted Nos. 92-93 in 2014.

Turner has stayed put at right guard and missed only three games and made two Pro Bowls.

Linder, 25, has missed 15 games and switched from right guard to center last year. The Jaguars may be citing his injury history as a reason to let him play out his contract.

Another curveball if the Jaguars and Linder are engaged in any talks is his future position – do they pay him as a guard or center? Or do they create a price point that shows he could return to guard in the future?

Per the Over The Cap website, right guards are getting more guaranteed money than centers on their second contracts.

Given Linder's injury history, and Turner's stability at a higher paid position (along with two Pro Bowls), Linder can assuredly expect to make less than Turner's contract when his deal gets done. But does this contract mean anything for our Right Guard turned Center turned Right Guard again? Is this the contract he and his agent will drive to come as close to possible to when things are all finished? Does Linder's history warrant a contract in this range, should he play healthy this upcoming season?

Considering how players generally just continuously top others contracts if they sign after someone else I'd expect Linder to get pretty close to this if not maybe top it. I think his play has been great even while being forced to continue to switch positions. He looks like he is well on his way to being a top flight C if we keep him there based on his results last year. I would rather get it done now than wait it out if I'm being honest. I don't like how guys like A-Rob, Telvin, Linder, etc. are all still unsigned. I'm sure there is no way we let them go unless they randomly suck or something, but still want some certainty with these guys as I view them as core players.

Not to go off topic, but I really hope we don't let Telvin go. I'm huge on Blair Brown but Telvin is the heart and soul of this defense and one of the best will's in the league.

Archived