GDT 7 - MNF - Da Bearz

Hunter2_1

More concerning to me than the QB situation was how bad the best part of our team (defense) played last night. They couldn't stop Fields or the run game in general, it was hard to watch. You knew if they got in a 3rd and less than 5 or so, it was almost automatically a first down. Frustrating, especially to an average (until last night) offense.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dan33185 said:

More concerning to me than the QB situation was how bad the best part of our team (defense) played last night. They couldn't stop Fields or the run game in general, it was hard to watch. You knew if they got in a 3rd and less than 5 or so, it was almost automatically a first down. Frustrating, especially to an average (until last night) offense.

Yeah this was the frustrating part for me too.  Barmore out and losing Dugger I’m sure didn’t help a bit 

Regarding the lack of LB's to be able to stop running QB's: 

- They heavily invested in the safety position to try and get that speed.. it hasn't been enough

- They put way too much emphasis on Cam McGrone this offseason. They obviously expected him to be that speed guy. 

- By fumbling the negotiations with Ted Karras it made the front office feel forced to take a day 1 starter at LG. Cole Strange has been great but someone like Lloyd would be making a huge impact on this defense right now. 

- Tavai / Bentley look great when you are facing teams without running QBs .. if you have a running QB they will be exposed quickly

- Mack Wilson is a rotational guy .. having him be the only fast guy also doesn't put him in a position to succeed. He also tends to overrun plays. 

- Judon and Anfernee Jennings have looked great which is nice.. but it still leaves you in dire need of help at ILB

Their biggest problem is the number of holes they have on the team needing impact players. You only have so much cap space and so many draft picks to get day 1 talent. 

- Need to resign Onwenu or get another RG ( assuming Chasen Hines isn't the guy) 

- They need a day 1 starter at RT... need a LT in 2 years assuming Trent Brown stays healthy another season.

- They need a day 1 ILB badly 

- Imagine if Meyers is gone? Yikes.. they would need a day 1 starter in the slot (assuming they don't fall in love with Bourne again) 

This is all ignoring the fact that BB fumbled the QB situation.. and the coaching staff problem. Matt Groh has his work cut out for him. 

3 hours ago, Dan33185 said:

Two things I'll add

1. There has been no investment to go along with Barmore and the front seven. We have Bentley and Jahlani Tavai as starters!!!! Really!!! BB move are reaches and patches,that's it. Can't stop the run in 2021. What does BB do for this year???????? ZIP----PY. 😁

2. Why is Bryant out there, it ridiculous. Use the rookies see what Wade can give you.  He said, what best for the team? How can that be true.

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Regarding the lack of LB's to be able to stop running QB's: 

- They heavily invested in the safety position to try and get that speed.. it hasn't been enough

Malpractice then. Someone hasn't done their job - they've looked to resource a weakness, and have got bodies in, and it's still a failure.

- By fumbling the negotiations with Ted Karras it made the front office feel forced to take a day 1 starter at LG. Cole Strange has been great but someone like Lloyd would be making a huge impact on this defense right now. 

Yes. Not to mention trading Shaq. I'm happy with Strange, but would we be NET better if we had a Lloyd or Walker and kept Shaq, or took another guard? We can speculate

Their biggest problem is the number of holes they have on the team needing impact players. You only have so much cap space and so many draft picks to get day 1 talent. 

- Need to resign Onwenu or get another RG ( assuming Chasen Hines isn't the guy) 

- They need a day 1 starter at RT... need a LT in 2 years assuming Trent Brown stays healthy another season.

- They need a day 1 ILB badly 

- Imagine if Meyers is gone? Yikes.. they would need a day 1 starter in the slot (assuming they don't fall in love with Bourne again) 

This is all ignoring the fact that BB fumbled the QB situation.. and the coaching staff problem. Matt Groh has his work cut out for him. 

There's a lot of malpractice when it comes to roster building on this team

Someone (Lancerman?) said it best - Bill the GM is making it very hard for Bill the coach to win

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There's a lot of malpractice when it comes to roster building on this team

Someone (Lancerman?) said it best - Bill the GM is making it very hard for Bill the coach to win

This is true, BUT the one thing I will say is the elevation of Matt Groh the past couple of years has helped DRAMATICALLY. I think they are headed in the right direction with him from a GM / draft perspective. Imagine what we would be saying without the hits of the last two drafts. This team would be horrendous. If he has one more amazing draft / offseason they should make a jump, assuming those players come at key positions. 

Regarding the safeties, I think their plan was sound.. it just hasn't worked out that well. New age LB's are barely larger than safeties .. so I can understand keeping your thumping LB's for the non mobile QB. This plan has 100% worked as we can see from what's happened in the Lions/Browns games, they were dominant. Dugger getting injured this year has hurt them a lot.. McCourty can't cover TE's anymore .. Dugger is incredibly important to this defense. I think they believed Peppers would be more of an impact, but he seems to still be coming back from the injury.

This also 100% assumes Mac gets back on track.. without Mac progressing towards at minimum a top 15 QB, you have no choice but to figure out a way to get a QB. If the team lost all interest in Mac, their best option would probably be to try and get the Raiders to give them a pick or two for him. At least at that point getting more resources to try and trade up for a guy. 

Assuming Mac is ok by the end of the season, you can make a dramatic impact from one draft / free agency

- OT (1 day one starter, one developmental guy) 

- LB (Anfernee Jennings may be legit, helping at OLB, but still need a 3 down ILB)

- FS ( Who replaces McCourty?) 

- DL (Lawrence Guy is getting old, Barmore needs help on the DL .. can't assume Wise plays this well forever either)

- WR (Do you give Meyers 15M+? Or do you go out looking for a replacement slot in the draft?) 

IF you can fix the coaching issues, you can fix a majority of those problems in one offseason and be a contender. Unfortunately at this time I don't have confidence in the offensive coaches to get things done

• Like 1

21 hours ago, m haynes said:

Two things I'll add

1. There has been no investment to go along with Barmore and the front seven. We have Bentley and Jahlani Tavai as starters!!!! Really!!! BB move are reaches and patches,that's it. Can't stop the run in 2021. What does BB do for this year???????? ZIP----PY. 😁

2. Why is Bryant out there, it ridiculous. Use the rookies see what Wade can give you.  He said, what best for the team? How can that be true.

Agree on both.

We got run all over by Josh Allen and in the Bills in a playoff game. To the point where we couldn't even force a punt. We have been historically gashed by mobile QBs- and guess which way the game is trending. Being somewhat mobile at QB could very well be a requirement for future NFL qbs. The days of strictly pocket passing statues are probably gone. And, we have to face Josh Allen twice a year, for the next how many years? Insane that they did absolutely nothing to address the LB need. 

I will never understand what Belichick sees in Bryant. They put Marcus Jones in and he almost comes down with a pick. Bryant routinely gets picked on and he is terrible.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

amazing draft /

I not so sure anyone would call it amazing outside of Patriots nation.

2021 draft    Mac Jones ------  Now a big question mark.

Barmore  -------  Very Good, but needs help to reach his potential. That's a draft failure, not the player if they don't target help with a high choice.

Stevenson-----  Very Good between the tackle runner, doesn't offer much in the passing game.  Yes he can catch but its not his game.

2022 draft

This draft could be fantastic however based on the players listed plus some of the lower rd pick contributing in the future.

However taking Strange in the 1st RD IMO was a major mistake. It has nothing to do with the player it taking a guard in the 1st RD.  They had many different  opportunities to fill the the OG position, but did nothing, they let Karrus go for a 100 bucks more, who perfectly capable to fill the position.  Strange will be a GOOD OG who could play for several years  however his impact is not game changing or a position that will make a difference. He will be a Shaq Mason, a good guard.

-------

Cole Strange   -- a good starting OG

Tyquan Thornton  ----  Major potential

Marcus Jones    ------- Major potential

Bailey Zappe  -----  Competent back up

Jack Jones  ------  Major potential

They passed on positions and players that IMO have on impact.  Major needs.   Hindsight on the players not relevant.

Quay Walker 

Jermaine Johnson II 

Devin Lloyd

Devonte Wyatt 

George Karlaftis 

Daxton Hill 

and others.

Edited by m haynes