Week 8 GDT: Broncos in London VS Jags

jolly red giant

10 penalties this half.   2 delay of games.   Slow in getting plays in at crucial times.   It took 5 drives to figure out that maybe you need to pass o 1st down with our inept run game - and pass beyond the LOS.

I don't what gets Hackett fired if this 1H doesn't seal the deal in Paton & ownership's mind.   Simmons' great play is the only reason it's not 17-7 right now.

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, MontanaBronco said:

Russ has got to hit dulcich or at least get the ball out and not take the sack

That's where he's got to trust the play.    Meinerz got beat badly.....just a bad combo all around.

The O showed life the last 2 drives.    Sadly because our run game is so predictable, and poor - we have to rely on the pass, but we can't throw at the LOS, we have to get the ball in the 10-20 yard area.   The catch is that if you can't run the ball - sooner or later the D contracts the throwing lanes.     Targeting Dulcich more should be a no-brainer - because right now, along with Jeudy, he's the guy getting open (Sutton isn't playing poorly, but he's not a separation guy).     

It's rough, because after that 1H showing, I'm pretty convinced a L shows Hackett the door.  And there are reports we can get a 1st for Chubb - as much as Chubb's been great this year, with Browning & Gregory as our future EDGE's, the time to leverage max return is now.    So honestly, losing today might be better for us in the long run.

But I do want the O to show life.    Because even when Hackett's gone, the O has to execute.   The last 2 drives do give hope it can be done.   Wilson's got work to do for sure (he's still not ready to throw to the spot, he has to see it open first), but drives like the last 2 show exactly how Jeudy/Dulcich can make the O work (Dulcich was open 2x and not targeted, not just the 1 catch obv).

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's where he's got to trust the play.    Meinerz got beat badly.....just a bad combo all around.

The O showed life the last 2 drives.    Sadly because our run game is so predictable, and poor - we have to rely on the pass, but we can't throw at the LOS, we have to get the ball in the 10-20 yard area.   The catch is that if you can't run the ball - sooner or later the D contracts the throwing lanes.     Targeting Dulcich more should be a no-brainer - because right now, along with Jeudy, he's the guy getting open (Sutton isn't playing poorly, but he's not a separation guy).     

It's rough, because after that 1H showing, I'm pretty convinced a L shows Hackett the door.  And there are reports we can get a 1st for Chubb - as much as Chubb's been great this year, with Browning & Gregory as our future EDGE's, the time to leverage max return is now.    So honestly, losing today might be better for us in the long run.

But I do want the O to show life.    Because even when Hackett's gone, the O has to execute.   The last 2 drives do give hope it can be done.   Wilson's got work to do for sure (he's still not ready to throw to the spot, he has to see it open first), but drives like the last 2 show exactly how Jeudy/Dulcich can make the O work (Dulcich was open 2x and not targeted, not just the 1 catch obv).

The O-line and run game are clearly contributors to our inability to move the ball(The drop off from javonte to gordon/murray is painful), but part of it seems to be due to the fact that Russ has shown very little willingness/ability to hit the quick slant or drag routes over the middle that keep the linebackers from just playing the run. Our screen/quick route execution is downright terrible all around. 

Russ just isnt giving me a lot of reason to think that he will drastically improve with HAckett out.

With a season where we don't own our 1st/2nd, I'm never going to be down with a W - but I don't think our biggest problems are even close to fixed.  Still, a W's a W.

Pretty simple analysis:

1.  Game ball to the D...again.   Simmons had a rough start, but that GL pick was a literal game saver.   Then K'waun Williams seals the win.

2.  The run D is still a major issue, as is our TE coverage (Engram TD classic example).   The difference was our pass rush created enough trouble to rattle Trevor Lawrence.   Bonnito had issues in run contain, but he was disruptive in pass rush.    If the rumors are true that teams are offering a 1st for Chubb, he may still be gone - but either way, the pass rushers did the job in combo with the cover guys.

3.   We don't have a functional run game.   Maybe when our OL improves, that will change.   But it's a major problem.

4.   Throwing it dink and dunk style doesn't match up with Russell Wilson.  It's no coincidence our best drives had him looking downfield.  That's challenging if we can't establish a run game, but in the meantime, it's good to see downfield success.   

5.  Jeudy in 1H, Dulcich in the 3Q, and then Hamler in the last drive - showed why it would be nuts to trade our WR's for the returns discussed (Dulcich complements the 3 WR's so well).     Sutton had a quiet game (and a brutal drop), and he was quiet last week - but that's how the O will roll - all 3 WR's and Dulcich allow us to attack different areas of the D.   There's a foundation for success here. 

6.   The 1H game management and penalties / lack of decisiveness with the delay of game on 3rd and 1 / 4th and inches sequence shows that Hackett is by FAR the guy who limits our O the most.      The 1H was another master class in predictability, and using plays that work against us (throwing to flats, and running predictably).    We won despite Hackett....not because of him.   

7.  Wilson still doesn't make reads where the ball should go - he still needs to see the guy come free to pull the trigger.  With the bye, and more work, I truly hope we see progress here.   BUT....he also made 2 big drives in the 2H, and made big time throws to Dulcich on the 3Q drive, and then Hamler in the last one...and his legs for the big play to get close.   

Long-term, the win shows why we should remain optimistic....but the weaknesses (run D, ILB TE coverage, OL, Russ' reads and yes, our HC/OC) aren't any different.   But with the bye, it's good to see Russ' 2H & Jeudy/Dulcich/Hamler show why we can remain optimistic long-term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontanaBronco said:

The O-line and run game are clearly contributors to our inability to move the ball(The drop off from javonte to gordon/murray is painful), but part of it seems to be due to the fact that Russ has shown very little willingness/ability to hit the quick slant or drag routes over the middle that keep the linebackers from just playing the run. Our screen/quick route execution is downright terrible all around. 

Russ just isnt giving me a lot of reason to think that he will drastically improve with HAckett out.

That's the part where Russ has to see the play better - and not just over the middle - that route you highlighted to Dulcich was one he'd routinely throw in SEA.    

And yeah, our screen/flat route execution is abysmal - yet Hackett keeps going to it as a run proxy.   It's not just Russ there, we don't do it well at all.   

I share your concerns that Russ isn't willing to hit the quick slant - that's fair.   But it's pretty clear Hackett is adding to this in a major way with his play-calling and his overall philosophy.   It's no coincidence with us trailing, and then going more wide-open, that the O started to click.  And suddenly Russ was willing to make the quick downfield throw too.    

Our OL, RB's, short route execution all need work.  And Wilson still owns his part too.  But the 10 penalties in the 1H, the play sequencing, and the indecision at 3rd and 1 / 4th and inches leading to yet another delay of game....that's literally a replay of Week 1.  And we're at Week 8.  The only difference is our O executed late and didn't leave it to a FG to win the game.   From a HC perspective it's not reassuring at all.   Maybe Hackett leaving won't solve all of Russ' problems - but it's painfully clear he's not the answer.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Apparently one team has offered at least a 1st for Chubb? You gotta take that deal.

Thought the game turned when Cush went out.  He is garb and Glasgow is way better.  The oline actually started playing pretty good when he left.  I wouldn't necessarily give up on Cush though and I'm wondering if anyone (Arkna) can maybe comment on making him a guard because as of right now he is one weak link.  I also think this was Hamler's coming out party.  Not to happy with Sutton either (already made my comments re Jeudy) but maybe just maybe if this revamped oline continues to gel and play well we can see some better play out of them.

So who wants to send me a plate of crow.  I have been ripping on how this defence is so overrated but to my favour is the fact that I have walked away from so many bronco games because they have been just so frustrating to watch.  I don't even mean team wise I mean game wise.  Jewell I know and like.  But Williams played great today as did Bonito.  We have Gregory in the fold too.  It is a better defence then I give them credit for.  Don't get me wrong I don't see us as world beaters just due to one win but my son told me the same with regard to the first on the table for Chubb.  I agree Broncobruin - this trade needs to be made and we need draft capital and lots of it to address this oline because even though it came together this game it needs lots and lots of work - too much.  You can replace both Risner and Cush and we still need a good RT...............   

6 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I'm wondering if anyone (Arkna) can maybe comment on making him a guard because as of right now he is one weak link.

I know a guy who has been saying all along that Cush should be G because of his mobility. 

As for Hackett, it looks like we are stuck with him for another week. 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1