Week 8 GDT: Broncos in London VS Jags

jolly red giant

There are some signs that the team is getting more and more comfortable. We did our best work in hurry up and we got to see that a little more frequently this game than in previous ones. It was called out by the broadcasters that we are the only team in the league with a brand new HC and QB. The fact that our coaching staff is largely first year coaches in their roles only exacerbates issues with instilling new schemes and playbooks. I know many are very low on Hackett but I'm still in the "give him a shot" camp. He has made noticeable improvements in lots of areas we gave him deserved flack for so lets see how he continues to progress. The number of irreplaceable coaches is few and we know constant turnover is never good. I think we're more-so learning that maybe Russ isn't as cerebral as we were hoping. He is missing concepts, not reading the defense well and impatient. Things we previously thought was Seattle holding him back on, is proving they were protecting him on. My main concern is our lack of run game. Shannahan spends so much time in the offseason installing his running game and it felt like we barely paid any attention to it and its showing. I wish we invested a little bit more into our O-line this past draft but at least it feels like a given it will be addressed this coming offseason. All that said, winning feels great! Go Broncos!

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

What has happened to Courtland Sutton? This is now a major concern going forward. 

He's a guy who needs the QB to be willing to throw the ball to a spot for a 50-50 win, or a box-out completion.   He's not going to separate by a wide margin and be open.   His problems are compounded by Russ' lack of recognition of where to place the ball - he has to see a guy breaking open.   The crazy part is when he had Lockett and Metcalf in SEA, Russ was willing to throw to spots - but he's not doing it now.     Jeudy's ability to get open by sheer separation makes it easier for Russ to ID and target him.    When Sutton faces really strong technical CB's (like Sauce Gardner <and to be fair, most WR's will be throttled>) or big body guys (like Gilmore with IND), he's going to have quieter days. 

Again it's why having both Jeudy & Sutton (and Hamler taking the top off) works in the O's design. They win in very different ways.   Jeudy's ability to get open frankly ages better.   Dulcich really adds a middle presence we've sorely lacked as well - which should help too.  

Given how bad our run game is right now - until our OL improves, and we upgrade the RB room - we're going to have to be a pass-first O.   Sutton's fate is directly tied to how comfortable Russ will be in throwing 50-50 balls and to spots, and to not keep underthrowing them like he did today with the pick.

Edited by Broncofan

More than half of the crowd yesterday were neutrals wearing random NFL jerseys, but of those who were supporting a team it was probably a 70/30 Broncos crowd. I was sitting near a very drunk woman in a Broncos jersey who was great at getting the crowd to make noise when the Jags were on offense. When Murray went in for the go ahead TD and K’Waun sealed it with the pick, it was limbs everywhere. 

• Like 3

Not going to lie, I was prettyyyyyy rough for the game yesterday, and that 1st Quarter had me seriously thinking about getting a jump on my 3 1/2 hour drive home.

Thanks to Simmons, Justin I decided to stick around and I am glad I did. I can't give a decent analysis of the game due to watching the game hungover as ****, but some non-intricate thoughts:

- Dulcich is big and FAST. Watching the TE's warmup together, it was insane how good of an athlete he looks. He's going to be a problem for sure
- Courtland hated the turf at Wembley. Due to the rain over Saturday night, it was heavy underfoot and Courtland couldn't adjust all game
- I thought Russell had his best game from a pocket recognition perspective. Knew when to stay in, knew when to escape. He's really struggled this year in that regard
- Loved Coach going for it at the end. That was being discussed in the stands throughout that final set of downs. "Will he go for it?" "Will we take a 45 yard FG?" Great decision
- The Jags mascot jumping off the roof off Wembley maybe got the loudest cheer of the day

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Not going to lie, I was prettyyyyyy rough for the game yesterday, and that 1st Quarter had me seriously thinking about getting a jump on my 3 1/2 hour drive home.

Thanks to Simmons, Justin I decided to stick around and I am glad I did. I can't give a decent analysis of the game due to watching the game hungover as ****, but some non-intricate thoughts:

- Dulcich is big and FAST. Watching the TE's warmup together, it was insane how good of an athlete he looks. He's going to be a problem for sure
- Courtland hated the turf at Wembley. Due to the rain over Saturday night, it was heavy underfoot and Courtland couldn't adjust all game
- I thought Russell had his best game from a pocket recognition perspective. Knew when to stay in, knew when to escape. He's really struggled this year in that regard
- Loved Coach going for it at the end. That was being discussed in the stands throughout that final set of downs. "Will he go for it?" "Will we take a 45 yard FG?" Great decision
- The Jags mascot jumping off the roof off Wembley maybe got the loudest cheer of the day

How was the beer mile? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

On the subject of going for it, it was definitely the right decision. Field goal crossed my mind, but McManus has been shaky enough this year that a miss is realistic and of course a FG miss gives them more of a head start than going for it and failing. You could have gone for a little pooch punt to try and pin them deep, but the risk is it goes for a touchback and you’ve only gained like 7 yards. I think going for it was the correct call on 4th and short. Had it been 4th and long I’d have been tempted to try a pooch punt. 

45 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Jeudy and Dulicich are playing well.  And is it me, or was the OL better with Glasgow at center? Also, I saw some Bonnito sitings.  The announcers said Bonnito struggled in the run game, but I saw him make a few plays.  

Might be onto something there. Cush hasn't been too bad but Glasgow is WAY better at Center than Guard. At least it seems like that anyway. Very small sample size however.

Meinerz still sucks in pass pro

Edited by BullsandBroncos

I don't hate 9:30am EST games, I'll say that. My mom came down and helped with the baby while I drank and watched football in the AM. Beautiful thing.

Anyway, look it's nice to win, and I sense from the post-game clips and interviews that this was a massive monkey off the team's back, but I wasn't impressed by the team. Another 1H with an absurd amount of penalties (most in a game this year for a half, I believe). Offense still stalling out far too much. Run defense was not great by any stretch. It's going to continue to be the hope that kills us.

You can see how good this offense *could* be. But for a variety of reasons, I'm not sure when we'll see that consistency. I can't decide if this bye week is coming at the best or the worst time for us. The next few games are winnable and it's agonizing to know Denver could be sitting pretty with a good record if not for all of the boneheaded stuff earlier in the year.

On the player front, Dulcich is going to be a good one. He's got the size and speed to be a true mismatch at the position and he's already playing at a level above where you'd expect a rookie TE to be which is superb. 

• Like 1